• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Sticky" Throttle 1083 A0 w/ 3116

Shiflett

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My throttle sticks at about 1/3 "remaining" when I let off the pedal. I have replaced the two throttle return springs...but that wasn't enough. I'm now going through para. 4-18 "Throttle Control Cable Replacement/Adjustment" procedure. Curious, before I try, if anyone has sent lubricant down the cable just above #7 in the diagram below (throttle rod from the pedal and bell crank) and had this issue fixed. The engine side doesn't seem to bind and the hand throttle is not interfering with the assembly.

M1083 A0 Throttle Control Cable.png

Last edited:

coachgeo

yes... sorry though do not remember details.

Try searching with terms [ lube cable throttle lubrication ] seem to recall post on this here. seem also to recall posting of a vid on lubricating cables.

DeMilitarized

My throttle sticks at about 1/3 "remaining" when I let off the pedal. I have replaced the two throttle return springs...but that wasn't enough. I'm now going through para. 4-18 "Throttle Control Cable Replacement/Adjustment" procedure. Curious, before I try, if anyone has sent lubricant down the cable just above #7 in the diagram below (throttle rod from the pedal and bell crank) and had this issue fixed. The engine side doesn't seem to bind and the hand throttle is not interfering with the assembly.

View attachment 915794
Throwing a penetrating oil or lubricant in my experience has completely eliminated the problem and others they still have a small snag at the very end of the throttle. I would recommend.

coachgeo

View attachment 915794

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Standard to lube cables, common on mountain bikes and motorcycles. Lightweight lube recommended to avoid too much grit/dirt attraction.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are also graphite lubes which have it (graphite) suspended in solution. The solution carries it into the sheathing but then will evaporate so dirt, etc... does not stick to cable and compound the problem, but it leaves the graphite behind to provide the glide. I know you can find it at bike stores, very common.

Shiflett

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used this Motion Pro cable luber on the engine side of the throttle cable to help push/guide lubricant into the cable. While it makes a mess, it worked. Lots of lubricant went into the cable, some went all over the engine. Bottom line, my throttle cable doesn’t stick anymore. I couldn’t reach the cab side of the throttle cable with this tool. I used a long spray nozzle tube from Amazon taped to a coat hanger to spray some lubricant on top of the cable opening. This was slow and minimally effective.

Attachments

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The pedal return is a combination of the pedal itself and the return spring on the motor. You can do a better spring to start. I have used the boot there, filled it with some lubricant and used air to push it thru the cable. If your pedal is worn thats going to be one of the bigger issues though

Shiflett

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, I swapped out the springs first, thinking that was the issue only to learn new springs made no difference. I then started to read, pedal was good for me, the cable was my culprit.

Now that the return was working. I checked the throttle position sensor resistance and found it was good, so I “retrained” the transmission (6 power cycles, the pedal range).

no the truck shifts and behaves so much better/predictable. ATF also helped.

Ronmar

Springs, plural. There are 2 on the governor end, one inside the other… ideally, when you use one of these lubricators, when y0u inject on one end, you should see it come out on the other. You can also flush dirt and contaminates out this way. Several good dry lubricants out there as mentioned...

Shiflett

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Springs, plural. There are 2 on the governor end, one inside the other… ideally, when you use one of these lubricators, when y0u inject on one end, you should see it come out on the other. You can also flush dirt and contaminates out this way. Several good dry lubricants out there as mentioned...
Yep, two springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks