• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still no power

Ford Mechanic

Subscribed, I was having high egt issues limiting the amount of throttle input also. I also changed all fuel filters with no results, tried up and down on the FDC adjust screw, tryied looseing injector lines to kill single injectors. Finally I backed the FDC adjuster all the way off untill the screw stopped moving in, added 2 flats, and adjusted droop 1/4 turn CCW. Went on a test drive didn't notice much at first and on the way back it all of a sudden opened up, EGT's went down 200*, and had plenty of power. What caused it, I don't know but I'm fixing to pull the injectors and test/adjust them.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you guys have not by-passed the fdc, you should do it FIRST. It limits the amount of fuel that goes to the HH and is a possible source of fuel in the crankcase.

brianp454

Yea, I need to do that. I've found that sometimes the truck is gutless and boost will be limitied to 3-4 psi with EGT at ~900F or so. Other times it is on an amp and gets up to 7pst of boost with EGT abotu ~1000F or so. It would seem that the FDC makes errors and sometimes inadvertently turns the fuel "up" or "down"?

Also, I find that it runs best consistently just after I take on #2 from a particular place. Maybe it oxegenates the fuel a bit?

If you guys have not by-passed the fdc, you should do it FIRST. It limits the amount of fuel that goes to the HH and is a possible source of fuel in the crankcase.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
to be accurate and for better understanding, bypassing the FDC removes the control of the FDC on the govenor and therefore may give more consistant operation of the injection system. if it is sticking, fuel rate may be all over the place, but this does not seem to be a common problem. mostly it eliminates the possibility of fuel in the oil. the booster pump seal is a much more likely place for large amounts of fuel to leak by the way.

tom

Diecorpse

If you bypass the fdc, does it cause any issues if you run other fuels like wmo or wvo? I have thought about doing mine, but I like to run other fuels if it saves me money and I wasn't sure of the effect it would have.

Jeepsinker

Sounds like you may have high crankcase pressure causing a leak after driving. I suppose that could effect power. I've read that fuel also should be turned down after adding a turbo to keep from wet stacking and possibly washing out rings. Have you ever turned he fuel down? I'm by no means an expert on this but have read a to. Of threads on this stuff and that seems to be a consensus that people reach. And, if the rings are washing out you get more blow by, and thus, high crankcase pressure, which can cause oil leaks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While it may not help with your issue, download and read the LDS Troubleshooting manual. It covers a few things in detail that the regular manuals do not.

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you bypass the fdc, does it cause any issues if you run other fuels like wmo or wvo? I have thought about doing mine, but I like to run other fuels if it saves me money and I wasn't sure of the effect it would have.
NO. Essentially, all the FDC does is limit the power your motor will put out.

jsthnt@gmail.com

I just changed the oil last week and I could not smell any gas, diesel, or wvo in the oil. So if the fdc is not putting fuel into the crank case then what is the advantage to bypassing it?

jsthnt@gmail.com

I turned my fuel down as far as I could and then back up 2 flats. It was completely gutless, very quiet, but still smoked a lot. So I went to try and adjust the smoke screw. But I could not find it. What models have a smoke screw and how do I tell?

Ford Mechanic

Is there not a 1/8th allen adjuster in that small hole???? I saw some info just last week where they were talking about which IP's had smoke screws and which ones you had to adjust the angle on the cam in the IP. Now just to find it again........

Heath_h49008

I was just thinking the same thing. Where is the droop screw?

Edit:TM 9-2910-226-34 states code C and D pumps do not have a droop screw.

Last edited:

jsthnt@gmail.com

I bypassed the FDC today. Big difference in acceleration in gears 1 threw 4. Temps seamed lower. 5th gear I was able to get to 1900 rpm before I hit temps. I used very little pedal to do this. I am going to have to turn the fuel down a little.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks