• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Still not fixed

padolin

well, i have proven that im an idiot when it comes to fixing military surplus generators. has any one posted a step by step process to removing and replacing the voltage regulator on a MEP 701a/ 016b generator?

I have got lots of good info off of here, but still im not even sure what part of the old generator to take off. i cant identify the old VR, i know its in the shoe box, but not sure what part.

I guess thats what i get eh?

thanks for any help, and thanks for all the help in the past

Maybe the moderators should open up a maintenance section of step by step how to's??

Isaac-1

AC or DC regulator?, if AC regulator it is the shoebox sized unit in the middle of the control box at the back.

Ike

I am still in the process of changing mine out, other projects keep getting in the way.

Last edited:

padolin

is it this whole box?? or just some part of it??

sorry so fragmented, have to upload the pics from my phone and then write my questions.

Isaac-1

ETN550

It's the whole thing. There are four nuts on the outside of the main box holding it on. Mark all the wires carefully.

Before you tear into it have you determined that the main A/C regulator is the problem?

If the regulator is the problem there are 3 options.

1) Repair it. Possibly a very tedious task and does require special equipment or you can wing it by guessing. Usually its the transistors or the capacitors that give trouble if nothing is obviously burned. Cost of parts is low to moderate. Probably not worth it as option #3 is easier and cheaper.

2) Replace the whole box with used or new identical unit. Expensive either way.

3) replace it with a modern sx460 AVR. I have one on order finally. Issac-1 and Derf have done it or are doing it. Does not look too hard to do. Should perform better than original with some added features too. search E-Bay for sx460 avr there's a bunch of them.

padolin

wow ok. i already have the SX 460. sounds like i have a job to do in the morning. if its not the VR then ill find out after the upgrade. ill take pics and post my progress as i go along.

once again, thanks for all the help

Isaac-1

One thing to note there is an empty screw terminal between about 24 and 25 (maybe 25 and 26), so don't get your place count off when comparing to the diagram.

Ike

Isaac-1

Rotating rectifier? People have reported being able to change the diodes using flex sockets without full generator end disassembly like the manual calls for.

Ike

padolin

Well that's what I'm gonna tackle next. I finally downloaded the correct manual that shows that stuff. The one I had was the operators manual. I think I can go in from the end and take them out. I'll let u know Sunday!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks