• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stock deuce 65 mph

SEAFIRE

Even so im not getting anywhere near 65 under 2500..more like 2600 at 59
With a clean air filter, our W/W with a "D" turbo gets up to 60 MPH, RPM's are around 2600 as well, 9.00 x 20 tires.

Our old '67 Kaiser Jeep WO/W had 11.00 x 20's and would get slightly over 60 MPH.....

tdevinjr

look i was just asking, yeah i traded my ford, where is the data plate on the tranny located. maybe tag truck was off a bit,idk i will reconfirm and get back with you

13 MIKE

The Deuce i picked up from Grayling runs 65, confirmed by chase vehicle.

It was NOT overevving, purring along at 25-2600. I have not coded the serial # yet, but it is in excellent shape, and runs strong.

I think i got the limited edition Airborne chase vehicle.;-)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All we are saying, is verify the transmission, and see if it is a 3053A or B. Even if it is, please please verify your tachs. I drove a truck yesterday where the tach was way off. I could tell by the engine noise. possibly 40 yr old gages remember...

Without a change to the stock gear ratios somewhere then 65mph at 2600 stock is mechanically impossible, like Kenny said.

tdevinjr

i still have yet to check the tranny but my 3-4 shift is way far apart and bogs it way down but my 4-5 shift it so close it is not even funny i don't get this at all!!:evil::evil::evil:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is how it is, every truck I've ever had has that lag between 3 & 4. big gear jump. I wind it way out on 3 before shifting to 4. really sucks when towing a heavy load.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3-4 gap can be a problem. To counter it (somewhat) you can run through 5th gear in low range, switch back to high 4th then 5th. It cuts down on the RPM drop slightly.

tdevinjr

so how do you code the vin on the thing. just curious what is a aviation res.idk this is the reason i ask thank in advance for all your help:driver:

Barrman

The original M35's had Gas engines and a 3053 5 speed transmission. The shift pattern was like this:

r 2 4

1 3 5

5th was a direct 1:1 ratio. The Gasser engines have like a 3400 red line by the way.

4 parts are changed in the Gasser transmission to make it a 3053A. Basically the Gasser 4th gear is made into an overdrive gear and the shift pattern is as described a few post up like this:

r 2 5

1 3 4

So, when you are driving your multifuel engine with a 2850 rpm mechanically imposed by the governor in the injection pump rev limit. You are actually jumping a gear going from 3rd to 4th if you think of how the transmission was originally designed and used. The gear change was needed so the diesels could keep up with the Gassers. Being the government, it was done on the cheap.

Having written all of that out. Which is true and factual. I have to inject a tale a guy just back from Iraq told me at a Boy Scout meeting I drove the Whistler to. He started off "I like the truck. Will it do 65-70?" Uh, no, it pretty much tops out at 56 indicated and I just drive around 48-50 so I don't put a window in the block. "Well, we had a guy in the motor pool who would switch a few gears in the transmission and our trucks would run 65-70 all day long. Nobody ever beat us anywhere." I asked for contact info or a description of what they did. He said no problem and I haven't heard anything since. He believed what he was telling me is all I can say.

mudguppy

The original M35's had Gas engines and a 3053 5 speed transmission. The shift pattern was like this:

r 2 4

1 3 5

5th was a direct 1:1 ratio. ... 4 parts are changed in the Gasser transmission to make it a 3053A. Basically the Gasser 4th gear is made into an overdrive gear and the shift pattern is ... like this:

r 2 5

1 3 4....
i don't think it's simple as that. i just looked at the tag on my trans yesterday: 3053 w/ a shift pattern of

r 2 5
1 3 4

i'm pretty sure it's the 3052 that had the shift pattern of

r 2 4
1 3 5

3053's and A's and B's are all OD trans, just w/ different ratio combos as outlined here, which was already posted. those of you w/ the large step change at the 3 - 4 shift likely have the 3053A trans.

Mt Doom Field Owner

I bet any old Deuce out there could attain this speed plus some with a setup like I have here! Just strap 4 Jato rocket motors on each side and cinch down the seatbelt then "let=her-rip-tater-chip!!!" Don't worry about the passengers, they all signed a waiver... Get ready to register this in the Guinness Booik of World Records... or maybe the 2009 Darwin Awards! Well here goes nothing!!!!.......

Attachments

Last edited:

Alex400

My F250 is within 1mph @65, according to my Garmin.
that's good! most cars are actually not. Most cars are often setup by the factory for the speedos to be about 1-3 mph slower with stock tires than the actual speed of the vehicle. My friend has an ex state patrol car that has a tag that states that the speedo was calibrated within 1 mph with stock tires at 40 psi. I know my 4runner with stock tires is off by about 3mph. would be perfect if it had a true 32" tire instead of an almost 31" tire.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks