• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stock deuce 65 mph

13 MIKE

I have a power programmer for my truck that lets you change the revolutions per mile the computer uses to calculate speed.

ironhorsethegeneral

I do not think he is that far fetched off. At 2600 rpm my truck does about 60 to 61 mph. At regular cruising speed I get about 14 mph at about 2300 rpm. We are running 1100 x 20 tires. Tach is correct. Has been checked with several chase cars and also with one of the LED speed signs. It only shows that the speedometer is off. It has been tracked at 2300 rpm it is going about 54 mph. The other truck has a 2900 rpm limit. And this is true because it has the original tach. 2900 is doing 55 mph. Their are truck out their with different ratios and engines. But of our engines are Continentals. But they both run different.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know the stopping distances for a M35A2 at 52 or 65 MPH? Whatever it is, it 's never easy to keep enough distance in front of you to stop safely. It is amazing how much effort guys will put into going faster and how many truck owners want to go faster, but never do anything to improve their brakes. Just a though

Last edited:

Westech

CPL
The way I was able to reach 67 MPH with my deuce was 11:00 tires and a injection pump off a 5 ton multi and I gave that a couple turns on the fuel. I would rum 28-2900 RPM.

scooter01922

Will my truck run 65??? most likely. Had it to 60 a few times just cause and thats about 2600. Would it be below 2500?? no way in hell. AND most inportantly and not yet addressed would i be getting this GREAT fuel mileage like the original poster?? Not unless hell just froze over. 10MPG is about average at cruise, if i was holding the RMP needed to stay at 65 my mileage would really, really suck. Not saying you are not telling the truth, all you have to report is the readings you have. If you have a truck that can run 65 at less than 2500 and get 14 MPG we NEED to know how.

cbvet

My non-turbo Deuce with 900-20s runs 56-58 mph while getting 6-7 mpg. At 45-50 mph it gets about 9 mpg. Full cargo cover installed.
Turbo Deuce witrh the big metal "riot" box on back & 1100-20s will run 62-63 mph while getting 8-9 mpg.
All speeds checked with GPS.

Last edited:

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
a few years back i posted somthing similar to this thread and everyone laughed at me. the one truck in my collection got the name "rocket deuce" from other friends of mine with military trucks. it really moves out. i used to run alot of scrap iron with it down major highways and i could for the most part roll right with the traffic coming home empty. i dont really care if anyone beleives me or not but i know its faster than it should be. one time i was rolling down a back road with my buddy in his M-813 on 1400s following me and he told me he was wound all the way out trying to keep up with me. anyone thats driven an 813 knows its faster than a deuce at top speed and even faster when 1400s take up some of the gearing. i have also driven about 3 other deuces in the past and only one came some what near what my truck does.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never have GPS tested my deuce but the speedo and tach seem to match the data plate and TMs. Don't really know what top speed is but I assumed it was 56mph like the TMs and data plate says. I think 55 MPH (according to the speedo) is as fast as I've ever pushed it. I try and run between 45-50 MPH. I figure this old truck will live a long happy life at that speed. It may run 70 MPH for all I know but I'm not going to push it that hard.

Alex400

I don't think I ever drive my Deuce over 50mph. It's an old machine and was never intended to drive at highway speeds. I drive it because I enjoy it.
look at the gearing of the trucks. 6.72:1!!!! you are right. these trucks really, were designed to run a 45 mph all day long. period. you don't see new cars floating down the road at the redline just barely pulling highway speed.

Put an idiot in a new up to date Corvette with all the latest goodies & put a sensible driver in a well maintained top notch Deuce and let them both drive 55 mph. Which one is the real danger?
well the deuce would just run the corvette over if he panic stopped. lol so i can take a wild stab at who would come out on top.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i read this thread with some interest, mostly amusement. it is 80% BS. red line for the engine is to begin with being grossly exceded. gearing and tire size is a mathematical given and does not lie or exagerate. as far as i know, i have the ONLY deuce with a stock engine that will truly run over 65 mph at under 2500 rpm. and there is a reason for that, different 5th gear!

tom

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, don't forget about the guys with big tires(they are getting some impressive highway speeds with reduced rpms). Thanks for the other 20%:razz:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well the online calculator(trans gears, axle gears, rpm, and tire size) I used said I should be running 72 mph @ 2500rpm. According to my GPS unit, I'm actually running 63-65mph. This is with the LDS motor and 395 xml tires. Wish I had one of these other deuces to start with.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yeah, doghead i know, but so far everyone seems to be talking about stock tires.
mph = ( rpm * radius) / ( 168 * ratio)
final ratio in 5th is 5.31, numbers don't lie, do the math yourself......not impling anything, just providing the source for facts. tom

13 MIKE

Not intending to BS anyone. My new truck runs well, and goes faster than 56.

At 55 it turns 2300, if the tach reads off, i don't know yet. It sure sounds like it's not overrevving.

I drag raced stick cars for years, and spent a lot of time around these trucks when i was in the Army, so my ear is pretty accurate.

The tires on my truck appear to be near brand new.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Dunno what/where your numbers came from Tom, but it says 64.4(@2500rpm), pretty dang good for my truck/gps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks