• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stolen Recovery Shackle

chevyCUCV

One of mine fell off one day. I am confident that is what happened because the pin was missing on the other side and it was almost falling off.
Now i make sure to bend the cotter pins at the end of the pin.

They show up on eBay quite often. Both of mine were missing when I got the truck. If you deliver those tires to me you can have them plus I'll buy you a beer. :beer:

Last edited:

Matt1031

My rig has civvy sourced Crosby 6 1/2 ton screw pin shackles on it. I used to work industrial construction so they were pretty easy to come by used ($25 for a 3 gallon bucket of assorted "retired" rigging at the Ironworker's supply I go to). If they have the slightest bit of damage they can never again be used for critical jobs, so if they're damaged (nicked threads, spread ears, worn out markings) they are no longer kept on the jobsite. You can often get used rigging for free if you are buds with an Ironworker or Crane Operator. If it fails OSHA requirements, it usually gets removed from the jobsite immediately. Companies don't like fines. New they cost something like $60 each, but you don't need new/certified if you're just using them to pull an old truck out of the mud.

Shackles are measured by body diameter, not pin diameter. 7/8" (6 1//2 ton) shackles use a 1" diameter pin, so those are the ones you want to look for. Regular civvy screw pin shackles are more convenient than the MIL style "safety" type ones in my opinion and I use my bumper shackles pretty frequently, so I'm not particularly bothered by that fact they are not restoration correct. Most brands require light grinding with a flap wheel in order to remove the line left by the forging dies on the inside of the ears in order to fit over the CUCV rectangle tubing mounts. Even with light grinding, the weak point is still going to be the mount itself, not the shackle. Just make sure they never wind up being used in certified rigging again if they've been modified or repaired in any way. I put a small grinder mark on the ear to avoid potential confusion and ID them as "mine".

You have to be able to take the shackles off (or keep a few spare shackles handy) in order to hook up a cable or sling eye, so I do not weld the pins on or bend any cotter pins on safety style shackles. I weld for a living so I don't doubt my abilities, but I feel It kinda defeats the whole purpose if you make them non-removable. I always have a large adjustable Spud wrench on the truck, so if somebody wants to steal them they're going to need a similar tool to take them off. So far just tightening them up after use with a wrench after use has been enough to keep the honest folks honest (knock on wood!).

axeman

I second what Matt says about shackles.I work big construction also. In Seattle check industrial supply for shackles, chain, straps. We have got some 20,000 lb straps from them before,made to order right there. They also have some surplus items. Not really military though.

Shackles Being taken

I personally bought my shackles from tractor supply, mind you i had to spread them apart to get them wide enough to go over the cucv square tubing.But im happy with them.Just make sure u pull the made in china sticker off lol and i wish i would have bought all the same size shackles.Other than that mine have had a beating and knock on wood they havent broke yet.:]

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cool thing about a CUCV is they are all the same size and style. Deuce ones are different sizes front and rear and 5 tons have the offset in the front like a deuce. The rears off 5 tons are very close to what the CUCV uses but they have a diaper pin and retaining chain affixed. I drilled the head end of mine and added hitch pins attached by cables. I also keep a spare in the truck. Knock on wood, no one has stolen any yet. Can't say that about the $300 Hardigg medbox taken from the front yard. I'm now in the habit of locking everything.

jw4x4

Can't say that about the $300 Hardigg medbox taken from the front yard. I'm now in the habit of locking everything.

Rat bastages!!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks