• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stopped by the NCSHP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you say the NC dmv misinformed you that antiques are exempt from the usual restrictions?

You might get off some of the fines by going to court and informing them that you were misinformed by the NC dmv that antiques are exempt from the usual restrictions and thus thought you were abiding by the rules. In my mind that is a reasonable excuse... once.

I have contested tickets, in court, in this fashion before and the fines were reduced, a lot, and one was dropped entirely!
I did not use a lawyer in any of these. I did discuss how to present my case in court with an attorney friend. Be concise, hit the high (important) points, Don't appear to be wasting the judge's time.
Maybe he will give you the benefit of the doubt and cancel the fine!
It is totally worth a try! That would be enough for me!

Also keep in mind that you can appeal to the next higher court if first judge agrees with the NChp.
In Va. I have noticed that the first level of traffic court is most likely to convict. The next is more likely to be more reasonable.

Good luck!!:driver:

e

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
International fuel tax agreement
and what about US DOT numbers on it next.
If you have 3 axles or 26,001 lbs combined wt.
And your state tax for motor fuel Tax DEPT
If you have motor fuel tax number and you dont file an report you will be levi fines $4500.00
for non file per quarter per truck even you did not do any movements of miles no fuel.
they are after extra road taxes or ton mile tax.
Most all fuel taxes are payed at the fuel pump to stop motor fuel tax not be payed by motor cairrers to be payed to states they travel in.
You buy fuel in VA and go to Fl and you did not buy any in NC or SC and you Buy in Ga and none in Fl thoes states just want there money for road uses tax Ie motor fuel tax.
Look it up and google it.
sorry for the rant I retired from all the bs of trucking of over the road 30 years of regs.
:driver:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to call the Missouri DOT tomorrow and see what they say about IFTA and my deuce. If I don't need a sticker, I'll ask for a letter saying so.

IFTA is not so much about what your state says but what the states around you say. The key issue is where will you be driving your truck? If it will stay within your state then you might want to see if Missouri has a state level fuel decal like NC. If they don't then you have nothing to worry about.

But if you plan on driving out of state then you might want to see how the states you plan on driving through look at your truck as each state is different. Some states treat all tandem axle trucks as commercial (even if used for personal stuff, unless it's an RV) while other states might say that you only need it if you are in commerce. If a state tells you you only need an IFTA permit or decal if you are in commerce then try to get it in writing and carry that with you when you drive through that state. That's what I do when driving my semi truck and it has saved me from getting fined for not having it or being forced to get the permits.

If the states you want to drive through (outside your state of registration) say you have to have either an IFTA decal or permits then what you get will depend on how often you will be driving out of state. If you will only go out of state 2 or 3 times a year then one time permits may be the best bet. But if you will be going out of state a couple times a month then the actual IFTA decal would be your best bet.

Ruppster

Last edited:

wb1895

It seems that most states are the same as NC, as far as fuel decals go. If you only plan on running your truck in your respective state then you only need a state fuel decal. If you plan on running your truck out of state occasionally then you can buy temporary decals at the state line. If you plan on running your truck our of your state on a constant basis then you need a IFTA decal.

Does that sum it up?

donttreadonmebmg

Sorry about what happen to you that sucks! I recently got a historical plate for my M52A2. My registration reads
VEHICLE CLASS: COMM TRUCK
GVW: 54000
WEIGHT: 18500
here in OHIO it cost me $46.25

I'd have that person from the DMV swear under oath she told you it was OK. Then sue the DMV for lost wages and all other debt incurred if they decide to fine you.

:twisted:

3dAngus

When I insured my dump truck, my insurance company did not want to insure it if I hauled gravel, even with a top cover. He said the rates would quadruple and it would be considered a commercial vehicle in lieu of a farm vehicle. I could haul dirt however. Gravel is a serious problem due to cracked windshields in the vehicles behind you.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It seems that most states are the same as NC, as far as fuel decals go. If you only plan on running your truck in your respective state then you only need a state fuel decal. If you plan on running your truck out of state occasionally then you can buy temporary decals at the state line. If you plan on running your truck our of your state on a constant basis then you need a IFTA decal.

Does that sum it up?
Close, just want to correct one thing. Most states don't have a state level fuel decal. Right now I only know of NC having one. Don't know of any other states as anal as they are. The reason most states don't have a state level fuel decal for those that keep their vehicle within the state is they already buy all their fuel from that state in the first place. My understanding of the NC fuel decal is to make sure those with a heavy truck buy enough fuel and pay a certain amount in fuel tax. If they have a fuel efficient vehicle and don't burn enough fuel they are taxed an additional amount to make up for it. The reason for this (as I understand it) is they feel a heavy truck places a lot more wear and tear on the road and therefore must pay more for that in fuel tax. And if you burn WMO/WVO in your multifuel in NC they will tax you more to make up for the lack of fuel tax from buying taxed fuel.

Anyhow, back to the issue of decals. Your last two sentences are correct (though it's a temp trip permit, not a decal). Whether you go with trip permits or full fledged IFTA decals will depend on how often you plan on going out of state. Plus, as I mentioned before not all states require trip permits as some states exempt you if you are hauling your own stuff and not for profit.

I wonder if it would help to stencil "Not For Hire, Non Commercial Recreational Vehicle" on the doors or somewhere else.
That mainly helps as far as weigh scales when dealing with log books or DOT numbers, or if a state only requires trucks in commerce to stop at the scales. It does not have any impact on whether or not you need IFTA (or IRP) trip permits.

Ruppster

DieselBob

At least as long as I stay in "The Peoples Republic of Maryland " I don't need any decal according to the Maryland IFTA manual.

"However, the carrier may elect not to obtain any
decals for the intrastate vehicles that are tagged by the
Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration since intrastate only
vehicles do not require any decals unless they begin
interstate travel."

Makes more sense like Ruppster suggested to get "Fuel Trip Permits" if / when I cross the boarder. Just have to think ahead of time.

Last edited:

ABN173

I know this an older thread, but at some point (when I retire off of active duty)I'm going to have to transfer my tags from WA to NC. Did anyone make any headway on making these eligible for collector/historic? Did anyone think to bring MVPA (NC) into this? Surely there has to be a better way than holding us to commercial vehicle laws.

-Dale

quickfarms

I know this an older thread, but at some point (when I retire off of active duty)I'm going to have to transfer my tags from WA to NC. Did anyone make any headway on making these eligible for collector/historic? Did anyone think to bring MVPA (NC) into this? Surely there has to be a better way than holding us to commercial vehicle laws.

-Dale
This is a federal thing. The federal law does not contain an exemption for historic trucks. Since CA lost there court case now the Feds can tell the states how to interoperate the regulations.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you need a fuel decal in NC. if you live in another state and just passing through?
Most (if not all) states go by what's legal in your home state. If it's legal to not have a fuel decal in your home state, you should be ok in other states. At least that's the way it's been in the states I've traveled.

This is all assuming you're not running commercial tags. If commercial you'll either have to get temporary fuel permits or sign up with IFTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks