• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storage for Soft Top Trailers - What do you do?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So far, I've covered my M105A2 trailer in its entirety with a 20' x 20' poly tarp for not quite 3 years. I think a full 3 years is about all I'm going to get out of the tarp and bungees before they fail. The tarp and bungees cost me about $85. I wonder if leaving the trailer uncovered and just replacing the regular vinyl soft top wouldn't cost about the same without all the added work of the poly tarp (I surmise the military vinyl top is more durable to sun/weather), though the exterior of the trailer body would be exposed to water collection and rusting. I suppose this would be more justifiable if I used the poor trailer more frequently, say, during the summer months (I don't use the trailer or my M35A2 during winter due to salty roads).

2017-01-21 16.09.40.jpg 2017-01-21 16.09.13.jpg 2017-01-21 16.09.25 HDR.jpg

I did add a center support to facilitate better water run off and much less pooling (though this is stressing the stitching on the front of the cover):
2014-09-27 16.00.18.jpg 2014-09-27 15.59.42.jpg 2014-09-27 16.54.14.jpg 2014-09-27 16.54.11.jpg 2014-09-27 16.54.19.jpg

With what I do, the whole trailer body and front hoses/electrical are (mostly) protected from weather an sun, and I don't have to reassemble the trailer (sides, bows, and top) when I want to use it. But I do have to uncover it and recover it when I'm done, and get out a ladder and shovel the snow from the top of it when I'm clearing the driveway. I'm not mentioning the tire covers, as well, there's not a better option for that other than fully indoors and resting the trailer on jack stands.

As can be seen, I have a lot internal conflict as to "the best" way to store my trailer - and I fully realize that is a use-dependent answer.

For trailers with soft tops, M105, M101, M103, etc.; what do you do when storing your trailer? Why?

• Do you leave it as is and just replace soft top, air hoses, and electrical plug when it becomes too weathered?
  • Do you cover it with a tarp or other shelter?
  • Do you remove the soft top, bows, and/or side racks and tilt the trailer to ensure proper water drainage?
  • Something else ingenious?

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a fan of covering things with store bought tarps. I'd rather have the sun eat them up than the original military stuff.

Many years ago, when I got into this hobby, replacing the vinyl covers was no problem, they were plentiful and cheap.
And you could buy them brand new from GMA. Insulated camo cab covers were $125 straight from the factory.

Now, buying direct from GMA is no more, and the rest of the older truck stuff is becoming less plentiful, unless you like tan. And it seems many folks think there is gold sewn into the seams of what they are selling.

Cheers

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a fan of covering things with store bought tarps. I'd rather have the sun eat them up than the original military stuff.

Many years ago, when I got into this hobby, replacing the vinyl covers was no problem, they were plentiful and cheap.
And you could buy them brand new from GMA. Insulated camo cab covers were $125 straight from the factory.

Now, buying direct from GMA is no more, and the rest of the older truck stuff is becoming less plentiful, unless you like tan. And it seems many folks think there is gold sewn into the seams of what they are selling.
That's exactly how I feel. Though, when covered the original military cover is still seeing the snow weight, freezing, wind, abrasion and etc. So I tend to wonder, at little at least, if it wouldn't be worth to store the trailer without the cover, or even also the side racks, and bows - but it's just a lot of work and time consuming to 1-man assemble again when needed. Too much work makes you want to use something less...

Last edited:

red

I think eventually you are going to want a proper place to store them (both the m105 and the tool trailer). What about adding a shed onto the front section of the garage? Or Adding onto the rear of the garage? Could build basically a pole barn onto the back of the garage and install a door of some type at the back of the garage. Store the trailers in the pole barn and when you want them just open the door, drag the trailer out and hook it up by hand.

Keeps the garage sealed, trailers covered, easy access, and much cheaper than a full garage extension.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think eventually you are going to want a proper place to store them (both the m105 and the tool trailer). What about adding a shed onto the front section of the garage? Or Adding onto the rear of the garage? Could build basically a pole barn onto the back of the garage and install a door of some type at the back of the garage. Store the trailers in the pole barn and when you want them just open the door, drag the trailer out and hook it up by hand.

Keeps the garage sealed, trailers covered, easy access, and much cheaper than a full garage extension.
Absolutely, more building space is definitely the proper answer for someone like me - ideally a garage attached to the house with a big roof overhang to put the trailer(s) under, but I'm at least 6-10 years away on that.

I haven't decided what big project I want to do this spring/summer. Though I'm leaning toward a single large, properly built shed with several yards of covered wood storage and a usable wood burning stove... but I digress.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I put 3/4" insulation board under the cover & on top of the supports in all the military trucks & trailers. This way, there are no pockets to hold water or debris. Then I cover some of the trailers with a silver tarp, which usually lasts a year if I am lucky. The rest of them, are parked close to a line of tall pine trees which blocks the sun for a large part of the year. Since pine trees drip sap, I keep the trailers far enough away out of that drip line. I have the space for stuff, just not the money to build covers for everything. I won't live that long............ and the container is full of other stuff that won't survive out doors.

red

I haven't decided what big project I want to do this spring/summer. Though I'm leaning toward a single large, properly built shed with several yards of covered wood storage and a usable wood burning stove... but I digress.
Sounds like this is the plan for this year, making a shed on that area behind the garage :) If the shed is fully enclosed then theres no need for the door dividing it from the garage, just leave a pathway open thats large enough to roll the m105 through. Stores the wood, both trailers, other misc stuff.

Piper Cub

I leave the covers off and keep them inside for all but on trailer that is used for storing recycling and the 5 ton. The 5 ton is just too much work to remove it plus I don't know where I would have room to put the top once it was off. There's a couple repairs to both the truck and trailer tops already and eventually they'll have to be replaced but it's such durable material I'm not really worried about it yet. Even though it's thinner I'd be ok with the AH&H vinyl to make my own replacements if it comes to that. https://www.ahh.biz/vinyl/

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought my M105 in the early part of 1979, & the M101, a year or so later. Except for rare occasions, I store the tarps inside, as rain & snow are a constant issue. I painted the 105 once, its side racks twice in that time - they are still presentable. Of course, covered storage is nice, but the trailers don't rank high enough. I value the tarps a lot, & sun is hard on them.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How well do the fiberglass sides fair in the sun/weather? (That's what I have, an old trailer with an updated front leg and side racks)

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How well do the fiberglass sides fair in the sun/weather? (That's what I have, an old trailer with an updated front leg and side racks)
A whole lot better than wood. Might fade a bit, but that will take a while.

Mine sit under shade. That's all.
But I use mine a lot so they are in the sun a great deal.

At least they don't bake in the sun and not move an inch for years anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks