• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

storing my humvee for 3 months

erasedhammer

I will be storing my humvee for 3 months soon and there will be no one to drive it or operate it for that time.

I wanted to see what everyone thinks about what I should do prior to parking the vehicle and leaving.

So far I got: Disconnect batteries, chock the wheels, park it in a garage, fresh oil, top the tank off... what else?

AAVP7

Three months is a comparatively short time. Topping off the tank is done for vehicles with steel tanks to prevent rust, but with the plastic tank that´s not really a concern.

What I would definitely do is use a battery tender. Lead-acid batteries have a pretty high self-discharge rate, and can be dead after three months even when disconnected.

diesel dave

Topping off the tank has as much to do with keeping moisture (condensation)out of the entire fuel system as it does tank corrosion. Top off the tank and disconnect the batteries. That's what I do for all my "toys" every winter. Never had a problem.

Sintorion

Mine sat on the lot for at least 3 months completely unattended in the open with no top from the time I saw it until I picked it up. They charged the batteries the day before and it fired right up when I got there. I think you will be fine.

dk8019

Mine often sits 3 months over the winter in a protected barn. I throw the batteries on the solar system and she's ready to go the next spring.

teteacher101

I will be storing my humvee for 3 months soon and there will be no one to drive it or operate it for that time.

I wanted to see what everyone thinks about what I should do prior to parking the vehicle and leaving.

So far I got: Disconnect batteries, chock the wheels, park it in a garage, fresh oil, top the tank off... what else?

When I picked up my Humvee the guy on the base told me he thought mine sat for almost 5 years. He had it fired up and going before I got there an he said it cranked for a few seconds an fired right up with only a slight injector knock-so I don't think 3 months will be so bad!

I would also do the following:

-Put a fuel stabilizer in it and run it for a few miles before you store it.
-Take a section of wire screen an wire tie it over your exhaust pipe and your air intake.
-Sometimes for longer storage of vehicles people will put the vehicle on blocks to get the weight off the tires-I dont think I would for only 3 months.
-Spray the belts, tires, hoses, etc., with your favorite brand of "Armor All" type of product.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked up my Humvee the guy on the base told me he thought mine sat for almost 5 years. He had it fired up and going before I got there an he said it cranked for a few seconds an fired right up with only a slight injector knock-so I don't think 3 months will be so bad!

-Take a section of wire screen an wire tie it over your exhaust pipe and your air intake.
-Sometimes for longer storage of vehicles people will put the vehicle on blocks to get the weight off the tires-I dont think I would for only 3 months.
-Spray the belts, tires, hoses, etc., with your favorite brand of "Armor All" type of product.
I would definitely add fuel stabil it will help with the condensation more than topping off. In my other toys I add moisture absorbers for the interior but not really a concern here.

Action

I wouldnt armorall your belts!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I would not recommend to spray the hoses either. Car Dealerships and used car lots sometimes spray this shiny clear stuff under the hood to dress them up. This stuff makes the hoses go bad quickly along with belts. Used to see all kinds of bad hoses and belts in my parts selling days from these "detailed" cars/trucks......

teteacher101

I would not recommend to spray the hoses either. Car Dealerships and used car lots sometimes spray this shiny clear stuff under the hood to dress them up. This stuff makes the hoses go bad quickly along with belts. Used to see all kinds of bad hoses and belts in my parts selling days from these "detailed" cars/trucks......

My apologies to everybody; when I put "Armor All" in parenthesis I meant it as a blanket statement for treatment of rubber parts/components since there are so many different products that are made specifically for certain applications to aid in UV protection, dry rot, etc. I meant to leave the specific product choice up to whomever feels like it is needed or not needed-which is solely based on one's personal experience and opinion. Sorry for the confusion on my original response.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks