• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

storing my humvee for 3 months

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys:

The poor guy just earnestly wanted to know how to store the HMMWV.

Garage, disconnect batteries and trickle charge, and when you start for the first time in a few months, crank engine a few times prior to allowing it to start so oil clings to cylinders.

Chocking wheels and such is never a bad idea.

If you live near the great outdoors, place animal poison in and around the garage and vehicle, or your wires will get chewed up.

Mouse/rat traps under the vehicle never hurt. Not joking.

Fuel stabilizer is also not a bad idea.

Best,

T

someoldmoose

Do like the military, park it, turn the ignition off, walk away. :)
Yup. 3 months isn't long enough to worry about. As for critter traps, poison, screens and so on. That can happen overnight, if they are nearby you should be doing that all the time. Ever here the one about the cat that thought a water pump was a nice place to take a nap ? The battery maintainer isn't a bad idea any time but three months is nothing as far as storing a vehicle, military or otherwise.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The shelf life of diesel fuel is far beyond 3 months.

The batteries should be fine for 3 mo.

Chocking wheels should be standard practice, 3min or 3mo.

This is a solution in search of a problem....

Wire Fox

The shelf life of diesel fuel is far beyond 3 months.

The batteries should be fine for 3 mo.

Chocking wheels should be standard practice, 3min or 3mo.

This is a solution in search of a problem....
My batteries hold enough charge to restart the truck for about 6 weeks, but they're also what came with my HMMWV from auction. I'm just glad they hold a fair charge, even if the self discharge is very high. (these numbers have been with them disconnected continuously, drawing no load) I think putting them on a trickle or pulse charger is a very good idea for any down-time longer than 2 weeks.

erasedhammer

My batteries hold enough charge to restart the truck for about 6 weeks, but they're also what came with my HMMWV from auction. I'm just glad they hold a fair charge, even if the self discharge is very high. (these numbers have been with them disconnected continuously, drawing no load) I think putting them on a trickle or pulse charger is a very good idea for any down-time longer than 2 weeks.
I just looked up my AGM Optima batteries, their website says 8-12 months and they are good. Much better from the stock batteries.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I stopped buying Optima when they closed USA manufacturing sights and relocated South of the anticipated wall.

I buy solid state Odyssey now. Small, reliable, huge cranking amps at -40. Accept marine battery discharges.

Best,

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks