• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storm Chasing in a M35A2

EF-5

I'm new to the forums and was very impressed with the steelsoldiers website, however I would like to throw this idea/ aspiration out here on the forums. Feedback would be much appreciated.

I have always been fascinated with extreme weather, especially when I get wind of a developing tornado. The typical storm chasing vehicle is either a mini-van or a sport utility; something like a bronco. I really wanted to try something out of the ordinary, however. Something that is rugged, dependable, and not mention a little heavier when it comes strong winds and hail. My dad wanted an older, stronger vehicle, apart from our Lincoln Town Car, that didn't mind getting dirty as well ;-). At any rate I was talking with a friend about storm chasing and he tossed the idea of a BIG military truck. So here I am! I was wondering if anyone here had thoughts of chasing severe weather in a M35A2. Would it be a plausible idea (aside from gas because broncos don't do much better)? How about bobbing it, or extending the cab to meet the technical needs of storm chasing?

Speed is not too much of a factor, for the point of storm chasing is to predict the path of a brewing supercell and intercept it. Let me know what you think!!

Thanks,
Warren

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a big fan of running toward the tornado but I understand some people are. IMO a deuce wouldn't be a good storm chasing vehicle. They are slow and the cab doesn't offer very much protection from flying debris and/or a rollover in high wind conditions (they also catch alot of air).

I know you said you weren't too concerned about speed but it seems to me you could find yourself in a situation where you needed to get out of there fast.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are prone to rolling onto their sides too. I wouldn't do it. rofl
And there wasn't even a tornado in sight (unless it was sitting under the hood of a m715). :D

I would think a m1009 or a M998 (if you've got the cash) would better suit your needs.

dc3coyote

I dont really know what the kind of winds your expecting but you may be able to look into a M109, Thats a Duece with a large camper box on the back.

sp00n

ride in one in light rain, the windshield wipers are awful, the defroster (if your truck even has one) does anything but keep the windshield unfogged and the gaps in all the window seals, top, door, vent holes, ect blasts water at you. You might as well go storm chasing in a Mustang convertible with the top down. they do not have power/assisted steering and are about 23 feet long, you will not be doing a uturn on a narrow 2 lane road in any kind of hurry to get away.

I would also assume if the tornado got close to you the straightline winds would get underneath as well as hitting the barn side of it and turn it over fairly easily.

jluv1185

Bad idea...as spoon said, just a regular summer shower is aweful in a deuce. A twister could chew you up, and spit you out. A deuce is large, but not very heavy for its size. You would end up looking like Gimpy...:deadhorse:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get sucked up into the tornado in the deuce, The wizard would probably get a kick out of you driving your deuce down the yellow brick road. Make sure you get one with troop seats so you'll have enough room in the back to haul the scarecrow, tinman, the lion, and several munchkins.

Reactions: HDN

3dAngus

Use a ferrari. I could use a good laugh.:smile:

I can't see any advantage to using ANY kind of military vehicle for storm chasing.

Not unless you had access to a fully instrumented military aircraft.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When considering a chase vehicle, there are many factors to be weighed....

M35A2:
Higher Fuel Consumption/Cost
Lower Purchase Price
Heavier - Very Stable in "many" varied, but NOT extreme, wind conditions
All Terrain Capable
HIGH TOLERANCE to HAIL - All glass is VERTICALLY oriented to minimize falling object damage
Windshield Wipers STINK
Able to evacuate through the debris field AFTER the storm
No "standard equipment" creature comforts
Easily converted from Storm Chasing to Survival or Rescue Mode

MINIVAN:
More Fuel Efficient
Higher Purchase Price
Lighter - Aerodynamic, but VERY susceptable to damage by moderate or higher wind conditions
Paved and improved road use ONLY
Highly susceptable to HAIL DAMAGE
Would probably be DESTROYED by the storm
Luxury climate controlled interior options typically available
Conversion from Storm Chasing to SCRAP HEAP is as easy as 1-2-3

There are probably other points to be covered. This was just a quick exercise after a long day.

By the way....
The West Texas Detachment of the Steel Soldiers welcomes the prospective Storm Chaser aboard :grin:

Last edited:
A

A/C Cages

Actually there are storm chasers out there that use a APC 6X6. They drove it right into the line of fire and surrived.

gunboy1656

Would be a tough way to get a deuce up to 88 mph.

Just me, but I would not do it. If you stay far enough away you would be fine, BUT if it changes direction and you need to move out in a hurry, you would be in some serious trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks