• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Storm Chasing in a M35A2

Darwin T

i don't know what "Digital Atmosphere" is, but, as far as software remember storms kill cell phone towers to. your on board radar, a military radio, CB and a clean pair of skivies. to me chasing a tornado is like jumping out of a perfectlly good airplane, some people love it some don't. :-D with hurricanes you have several days notice so speed is not as critical. if you go with a multi fuel you should still be able to find fuel after a storm when the power is out. the tank out back of jiffy lube???

Flyingvan911

I used to do local storm spotting with my '88 E-250 van before I got busy. The deuce is good for making your way out of or through a disaster but no good for spotting/chasing. We had 6-8 inches of snow in Kansas City last week and I had no trouble with bare stock 9.00's and 50 psi. It can handle any KC weather except a hit by a tornado. I love my deuce.

If you want to get one just for fun, I say do some research on this site and go for it. They are fun as long as they are upright.

EF-5

Digital Atmosphere is a software program that gives you live radar and every other meteorologic reading conceivable through web servers all around the country. It uses information gathered by doppler radar to determine rotation within a thunderstorm, and countless other goodies!

I definitely want a M35 for fun no doubt, my family and I could use one :mrgreen:. I am really hoping that somehow I could modify this to meet my needs. Overtime of course. I figure that if the DOW truck can observe tornadoes that a deuce could. But regardless they are very interesting vehicles :cool:.

http://images.nationalgeographic.co.../000/001/cache/doppler-wheels_142_600x450.jpg

http://www.bostonstormchaser.com/Day 03-01.jpg

Thanks for all your imput!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll never forget my experience "storm chasing" during hurricane Alicia in 1983. This storm hit Galveston County (near Houston, TX) with 90 mph winds and I was out in the middle of it in a deuce, trying to rescue people who's mobile homes were blown over. During the height of it, a portable sign was blown onto the hood of the deuce as I was driving, and smashed the windshields. I had 3 people in the cab with me, it was the middle of the night, and I could not see out anymore because the inside of the broken windows were all steamed up. I grabbed a rag to wipe the broken window and severely cut my finger. Blood was everywhere. Soon thereafter the Emergency Ops Center called us all in. It was just too dangerous. Never again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks