• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange "Chirp" Sound...

chicagodiesel

This may sound weird, but it happened to me...a bit different of a sound, but who knows. The diaphragm started going bad on my vacuum pump and at higher rpms started squeaking like that.

Have you opened the hood and reved while listening for the sound? If it was the vac pump it would be coming from the back top of the engine. You can pull the line into the vacuum regulator on the IP while running and if you put your finger on over the hose for a second you'll be able to replicate the sound and see if that's it. But if it's shifting okay, just disregard this suggestion.

Good luck.

DavidJBlythe

I don't have a shifting problem, but I'll check the vac pump like you suggested.

I hear the sound in park, at any RPM. Usually it doesn't start becoming audible until the engine has warmed up a bit. So if I start the engine and just let it idle, it will take 5-10 mins before it starts. But if I start the truck and immediately start driving, it will start squeaking in a few minutes or less.

That's about all! I can take more videos of it squeaking at idle.

Barrman

If it is happening with the truck sitting still. That means you have narrowed it down to what is moving at that time. Check your power steering pump bolts. There should be 3 that are behind the pulley. If they get loose, they will rub on the pulley and make weird noises. Or, just fall out and cause more troubles. Any of your 3 belts could be rubbing something wrong. Your torque converter bolts could have backed out some and be rubbing on the aluminum cover. Your transmission dip stick line could be bouncing off your vacuum line and causing it.

Just get the noise to happen with the truck sitting still and keep narrowing down what part of the vehicle it is coming from.

DavidJBlythe

Thanks for the info. I will take a look this week at those trouble spots. I did replace the power steering pump after I bought the truck, so I'll check those bolts.

DavidJBlythe

Found it. It's a blown head gasket on the rear-left side of the engine. I took a video of it for all to enjoy. Since I've been driving the truck around like this for a thousand miles now, what are the chances that I'm going to have to get the heads reground? Any advice on how to change the head gaskets and keep costs down?

Here's the video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX48kuwdEw0[/media]

The view is below the drivers seat on the ground, looking forward and UP at the rear of the engine.

ralbelt

I am just finishing up replacing the right head, did the left 2years ago. You will need a head gasket, intake manifold set , exhaust manifold gasket and donut, and 2 water crossover pipe gaskets, and a new set of head bolts. IIFC about $ 120.00 Using all hand tools about 5-6 hrs. A good torque wrench is a must.
Take the head to an engine shop and have it pressure tested and cleaned , might not need to resurface it if it does need to be resurfaced you will need to get an over size head gasket ( (.010 over ?)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks