• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange Popping Noise Under Load

Status
Not open for further replies.

chigger

I need help to identify what is going on here

Here is the symptom:There is a single pop sound along with a jerk in the drive train that happens about every 8 seconds. The pop & simultaneous jerk happens under load. The heavier the load, the worse it is. Coasting there is no pop. It happens in every gear and high and low range.

Here is what was rebuilt:Transmission
Transfer case
Rear axle
Rear driveshaft
Replaced transmission to transfer case shaft
Replaced clutch
Replaced clutch pilot bearing

Inspected:All brakes
All wheel bearings
Front lock out hubs

chigger

I have a M35A2 that has been modified with one axle removed. I have been running it this way for a few years with no problem. Now there is a strange noise. There is a pop sound with a simultaneous jerk in the drive train. It happened about every 8 seconds at highway speed and under load. I have the air shift transfer case and lock out hubs on the front. I can completely disengage the front driveline and the popping is still there.

Just before the noise started, I swapped the rear axle guts with Ouverson 2 inch axles and locker. While I was there, I re shimmed the gear lash in the differential and measured everything. I even put a girdle on the bearing caps. I also replaced the injection pump head because it was leaking on the #3 line.

Since I just replaced the rear axle shafts and locker, I took the truck up a very steep hill in 2wd to see if both wheels will pull to verify the locker is working. Both tires spin and remain locked.

I started out by replacing the drive shaft u-joints. They were old and had a tiny bit of play. I’ve even swapped out the entire transmission to transfer case shaft drive shaft twice with no luck. I put the truck up on blocks and drove the wheels, and I could not duplicate the noise with no load.

Eventually I checked the oil in the transfer case and found very thin pieces of metal. I pulled the transfer case and found the metal came from the input shaft dust cover from a bearing. The dust cover came loose and got chewed up. There is no damage to the bearing s or gears. The metal was caught by the magnet. I went ahead and swapped out the ball bearings in the transfer case. This time I removed the dust covers to prevent this from happening again. The roller bearings on the other shafts were in perfect shape. I reinstalled the transfer case and the popping was still there.

Next I pulled the rear hubs to check the bearings and brakes. They were in perfect shape. Now in attempt to diagnose where the noise is coming from, I removed one of the rear axle shafts. The noise was still there. Without the axle shaft, there is no possible way that it was the rear locker. I then removed the rear drive shaft and drove the truck using the front axle. Popping was still there. Now I know it can’t possibly be the drive shaft since it was completely removed and the noise is still there. I put the axle shaft and drive shaft back in.

At this point, I set out on a 600 mile round trip. Truck popped the whole way (about every 8 seconds). On up hills the popping happened more frequently and was louder. On down hills, the popping was non-existent. Right before I got to my designation, the clutch was slipping. I pulled over and stopped and found oil pouring out of the hole in the bottom of the bell housing. I immediate assumed it was the rear main seal even though I replaced it a year earlier. I pulled the transmission and replaced the seal and clutch. The clutch was in very good condition though and the seal also looked like there was no damage. I got it back on the road and the popping was still there. I drove it back 300 miles and noticed that oil was again leaking from the bell housing hole.

It turned that the transmission oil was leaking and not the engine oil. So I took the top cover off the transmission and found that the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear on the counter shaft was missing teeth. There were about 2 spots where the 2 teeth in a row were missing and there were 2 other spots where 1 tooth was missing (total of 6 teeth). So here is where I thought I found the smoking gun. I replaced the bad 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear and inspected all other gears and bearings. About a year and a half earlier, I rebuilt the transmission because 5[SUP]th[/SUP] was slipping. I had already replaced both the 2-3 sincro and 4-5 sincro along with 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear on the main shaft. While I was in there I inspected these parts and they were in great shape. All the transmission bearings are in perfect shape. I inspected the pilot bearing and on the flywheel and found that it was worn out. I was thinking that the loose pilot bearing allowed enough play allow 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear to get overstressed, and allowed misalignment to allow oil to leak out. I put the transmission back together and the popping noise along with the jerk is still there.

I made another trip and the popping is happening about every 4 to 10 seconds. Under load it happens more aggressively. Costing down a hill, it doesn’t happen at all. There was no sign of leaks until I went up a steep hill. The popping was very aggressive and after the hill, I pulled over and noticed a small amount of transmission oil dripping out of the bell housing.

I went ahead and pulled the front hubs to inspect the bearings and brakes. They were in perfect shape. The lockout hubs are in great shape and functioning properly.

Now I’m completely dumfounded by the popping.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dogbones can cause popping.

You could have saved some effort by searching the threads about oil leaking from the drain hole in the bellhousing.

Please change you profile to include the state as it is a requirement in the rules.

Thank you

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you done anything to the front axle? It could be a bearing or if you have U-joint style axles, it could be a bad U-joint.

Do you have anyone that could stand on the street while you pass by? It might help to have someone narrow down where its coming from, front-rear-left side-right side.

chigger

Dogbones can cause popping.

You could have saved some effort by searching the threads about oil leaking from the drain hole in the bellhousing.

Please change you profile to include the state as it is a requirement in the rules.

Thank you
There are no dogbones in this one. I have a single rear axle. The forum would have saved me a bunch of hassle, but I was in the dunes when I changed out the transmission seal and clutch. I did not have access to the internet.

Thanks, I fixed the state.

chigger

Have you done anything to the front axle? It could be a bearing or if you have U-joint style axles, it could be a bad U-joint.

Do you have anyone that could stand on the street while you pass by? It might help to have someone narrow down where its coming from, front-rear-left side-right side.
I can completely disengage the front driveline by unlocking my hubs and shutting off the air to the transfer case. This way nothing moves in the front driveline. The popping is still there. I also took the hubs off and inspected the bearings and brakes. tried the person walking/running next to the truck but can't get close enough to identify where the noise is coming from.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a great video.

jake1086

Ya this sounds like what my 67 f100 was doing after a few too many clutch dumps... dont worry if it wont do it for long :D (on the upside if it is your rear end which I kinda doubt you have a spare!) I only say i doubt its your rear end because in my 9 inch rear end it sounded like a grenade going off every time I took off a tooth, I would imagine it would be really really really loud on a rear end the size of the deuces? It doesnt sound like yours is that loud?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so, wait... you have a locker in the rear axle? if so, check all your tire pressures. if they are not the same, that could cause the axles not to turn at the same speed (or try not to because they are hooked together) and eventually (with so many rotations down the road) the differential has to turn hence why you might hear a popping if you have a Detroit style locker. I would think a popping sound of a locker coming out would cause some sounds like this. That is my guess.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no dogbones in this one. I have a single rear axle. The forum would have saved me a bunch of hassle, but I was in the dunes when I changed out the transmission seal and clutch. I did not have access to the internet.

Thanks, I fixed the state.
My bad on the dog bones. ;-)

rickf

Sure would be nice if people read the whole post before replying. The tire pressure thing was addressed by removing a rear axle in his first post as was running with the front completely disengaged, again, in the original post. Also covered was the fact it is a bobber and hence no dogbone, in the original post. Just about every reply was already covered by the posters original post. I would have to agree with a skipping gear or missing teeth although you have already looked at that, I say that since that is all I can think of that you did not cover originally that I would think of that could cause this issue. Driveshaft spline slipping?

Last edited:

chigger

I was hoping someone has had this problem before. I don't expect that there are any teeth missing since I've rebuilt everything except the engine, and there is no metal on the magnets. I think I'll take a bunch of vacuum hose and run it to various places and try to listen for the pops. Maybe I can isolate the location of the sound. Probably going to be too much background noise, but I figure it is worth a try. I'll give this a try this weekend.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
What about jacking it off the ground and spinning some components? Have you verified the parking brake has all it springs and is adjusted correctly? Some have had issues with that.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure would be nice if people read the whole post before replying. The tire pressure thing was addressed by removing a rear axle in his first post as was running with the front completely disengaged, again, in the original post. Also covered was the fact it is a bobber and hence no dogbone, in the original post. Just about every reply was already covered by the posters original post. I would have to agree with a skipping gear or missing teeth although you have already looked at that, I say that since that is all I can think of that you did not cover originally that I would think of that could cause this issue. Driveshaft spline slipping?
Would be nice except that there is nothing in the first post saying anything about being a bobber. You do realize that you can read an original post and post without seeing the second one correct? The posts can cross and I also admitted the mistake.

But you probably didn't see it since the times were close.

I suggest Gimpy's course of action.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M35A2 that has been modified with one axle removed. I have been running it this way for a few years with no problem. Now there is a strange noise. There is a pop sound with a simultaneous jerk in the drive train. It happened about every 8 seconds at highway speed and under load. I have the air shift transfer case and lock out hubs on the front. I can completely disengage the front driveline and the popping is still there.

Just before the noise started, I swapped the rear axle guts with Ouverson 2 inch axles and locker. While I was there, I re shimmed the gear lash in the differential and measured everything. I even put a girdle on the bearing caps. I also replaced the injection pump head because it was leaking on the #3 line.

Since I just replaced the rear axle shafts and locker, I took the truck up a very steep hill in 2wd to see if both wheels will pull to verify the locker is working. Both tires spin and remain locked.

I started out by replacing the drive shaft u-joints. They were old and had a tiny bit of play. I’ve even swapped out the entire transmission to transfer case shaft drive shaft twice with no luck. I put the truck up on blocks and drove the wheels, and I could not duplicate the noise with no load.

Eventually I checked the oil in the transfer case and found very thin pieces of metal. I pulled the transfer case and found the metal came from the input shaft dust cover from a bearing. The dust cover came loose and got chewed up. There is no damage to the bearing s or gears. The metal was caught by the magnet. I went ahead and swapped out the ball bearings in the transfer case. This time I removed the dust covers to prevent this from happening again. The roller bearings on the other shafts were in perfect shape. I reinstalled the transfer case and the popping was still there.

Next I pulled the rear hubs to check the bearings and brakes. They were in perfect shape. Now in attempt to diagnose where the noise is coming from, I removed one of the rear axle shafts. The noise was still there. Without the axle shaft, there is no possible way that it was the rear locker. I then removed the rear drive shaft and drove the truck using the front axle. Popping was still there. Now I know it can’t possibly be the drive shaft since it was completely removed and the noise is still there. I put the axle shaft and drive shaft back in.

At this point, I set out on a 600 mile round trip. Truck popped the whole way (about every 8 seconds). On up hills the popping happened more frequently and was louder. On down hills, the popping was non-existent. Right before I got to my designation, the clutch was slipping. I pulled over and stopped and found oil pouring out of the hole in the bottom of the bell housing. I immediate assumed it was the rear main seal even though I replaced it a year earlier. I pulled the transmission and replaced the seal and clutch. The clutch was in very good condition though and the seal also looked like there was no damage. I got it back on the road and the popping was still there. I drove it back 300 miles and noticed that oil was again leaking from the bell housing hole.

It turned that the transmission oil was leaking and not the engine oil. So I took the top cover off the transmission and found that the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear on the counter shaft was missing teeth. There were about 2 spots where the 2 teeth in a row were missing and there were 2 other spots where 1 tooth was missing (total of 6 teeth). So here is where I thought I found the smoking gun. I replaced the bad 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear and inspected all other gears and bearings. About a year and a half earlier, I rebuilt the transmission because 5[SUP]th[/SUP] was slipping. I had already replaced both the 2-3 sincro and 4-5 sincro along with 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear on the main shaft. While I was in there I inspected these parts and they were in great shape. All the transmission bearings are in perfect shape. I inspected the pilot bearing and on the flywheel and found that it was worn out. I was thinking that the loose pilot bearing allowed enough play allow 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear to get overstressed, and allowed misalignment to allow oil to leak out. I put the transmission back together and the popping noise along with the jerk is still there.

I made another trip and the popping is happening about every 4 to 10 seconds. Under load it happens more aggressively. Costing down a hill, it doesn’t happen at all. There was no sign of leaks until I went up a steep hill. The popping was very aggressive and after the hill, I pulled over and noticed a small amount of transmission oil dripping out of the bell housing.

I went ahead and pulled the front hubs to inspect the bearings and brakes. They were in perfect shape. The lockout hubs are in great shape and functioning properly.

Now I’m completely dumfounded by the popping.
Did you completely disassemble the transfer case and wash every part to remove the metal shavings ? The magnet takes time to catch the shavings and isn't going to all of them .
How did you determine the roller bearings on the other shafts " were in perfect condition ? Just visual inspection ?

Since it is still there when you isolate the front and rear axles it sounds either the transfer case or transmission have issues that were not corrected in your "rebuilds". The new parts you put in could have stressed other marginal parts.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be nice except that there is nothing in the first post saying anything about being a bobber. You do realize that you can read an original post and post without seeing the second one correct? The posts can cross and I also admitted the mistake.

But you probably didn't see it since the times were close.

I suggest Gimpy's course of action.
He addressed that in paragragh #4 of post #2

[ I started out by replacing the drive shaft u-joints. They were old and had a tiny bit of play. I’ve even swapped out the entire transmission to transfer case shaft drive shaft twice with no luck. I put the truck up on blocks and drove the wheels, and I could not duplicate the noise with no load. ]

Status
Not open for further replies.