• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange starter behavour

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
we bypassed the batteries to take them out of the equation by using a jump pack for all testing.
Jump pack or batteries - same difference. It's a voltage source with a positive and negative. You attach a meter to the negative post, and then you start at the positive post and work your way through the circuit testing at each wire connection or component till you find the voltage drop. When you find it, you stop and address it. Be that replacing wiring or cleaning a connection. It's a systematic process and you are pretty close to solving the problem if you have already narrowed it down to an observable voltage drop. What kind of drop are you observing and from where?

coachgeo

Jump pack or batteries - same difference. It's a voltage source with a positive and negative. You attach a meter to the negative post, and then you start at the positive post and work your way through the circuit testing at each wire connection or component till you find the voltage drop. When you find it, you stop and address it. Be that replacing wiring or cleaning a connection. It's a systematic process and you are pretty close to solving the problem if you have already narrowed it down to an observable voltage drop. What kind of drop are you observing and from where?
yep that is pretty much what we did beyond all new wires (which was to be next)... nothing changed so far. Cleaned every place cleanable yet drop is still observed from batts to PDP. Cleaned and wiggled everything ..... no changes. added ground... no changes

I canceled my last ever coaching stint today (1st june) since I cant get there. Twas only reason was rushing to get truck back on road. Until this, it was all had to drive. So with that canceled truck goes little bit on back burner now. Wont need anything that drives till end of June for team banquet. Likely can get ride for that.

Will now concentrate on finish new engine install in Jeep that I could not do in the cold.. (or rain) over winter. Been working on that too. Didn't know truck was not working till went to go get grocery and parts on Tues. Used it Sat. before with no more issues than normal. For now can get grocery delivered. Parts stores are about hour walk. up hill both ways in the snow.... will plan that trek all on one day if I need any parts I guess🤠. Should have it done in a week or two (unless it rains too much)

tag Distribution Panel

Last edited:

coachgeo

You need to bolt a new ground to a sanded spot on the main frame rail. Other spots may not work
spot was cleaned/sanded to bare metal... ground attached shows good contact when tested.

Will drill when can get back to it.

Cleaned all connections again other day while waiting on parts. Few more days on Jeep parts to wait. Think Ill mess with resurrecting motorcycle since nothing more but maybe drill that out, I can do on truck or Jeep for few days.

Last edited:

coachgeo

update... replaced batteries with two 2023 CAT 1000cca batts and it jumped back to life. The two batts that were in it still show good via a battery load tester. Apparently the load tester does not load them enough for the fault to kick in??

Ronmar

update... replaced batteries with two 2023 CAT 1000cca batts and it jumped back to life. The two batts that were in it still show good via a battery load tester. Apparently the load tester does not load them enough for the fault to kick in??
It’s hard to beat a good old 0-1000A carbon pile load tester te really tell the tale:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks