• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange starter behavour

Plasa

Hello forum.
I have a quite strange behavour that I don't know if its serious or not. It happen very randomly (in 2 years 5 times), so I don't think it's critical.
Batteries are full...
Happen that when I press the start button (of course the mains switch is on) the starter crank, but only for an instant, and then stop again. Sounds like a "tack" and I feel that the engine crank for less than a second. Sounds normal but stops after a moment.
Release the start button, hit it again and the engine start as nothing happen... Don't know if there is a ""death point" where the starter is not strong enough to crank the engine or something else...

Any idea?

Thanks and all the best!

Christian

Ronmar

Hello forum.
I have a quite strange behavour that I don't know if its serious or not. It happen very randomly (in 2 years 5 times), so I don't think it's critical.
Batteries are full...
Happen that when I press the start button (of course the mains switch is on) the starter crank, but only for an instant, and then stop again. Sounds like a "tack" and I feel that the engine crank for less than a second. Sounds normal but stops after a moment.
Release the start button, hit it again and the engine start as nothing happen... Don't know if there is a ""death point" where the starter is not strong enough to crank the engine or something else...

Any idea?

Thanks and all the best!

Christian
you could have a weak relay or a high resistance connection associated with K1 or K24. Also insure that K1 and K24 are both 12v coil relays. A 24v coils drop-out voltage may be very near the normal voltage sag of the batteries/electrical system when cranking the engine And would interrupt the start. Then there is the aux relay down on the frame. Unfortunately this is really difficult to troubleshoot untill it starts happening in a predictable fashion:)

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You will find it one day when the button/relays/circuits will not function at all or fails in some really bad fashion. You are correct in being concerned. Electrical faults do not heal. Is the start button itself easy to get out and inspect/replace?

coachgeo

You will find it one day when the button/relays/circuits will not function at all or fails in some really bad fashion. You are correct in being concerned. Electrical faults do not heal. Is the start button itself easy to get out and inspect/replace?

other side of the coin is unfortunately it takes either
. near or full failure to find what is actually wrong and fix the one thing actually wrong
. chase the issue for millennia, repair and replace everything that is working just fine till you are so frustrated your last repair includes a shot gun and tanearite. :LOL: ;):LOL:

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Don't shoot her
Good advise was take it to the dealer, they plug it in and figure it out.
That that truck is so far from a Deuce I can't figure it out, I trying and will get it done but not today.

Plasa

Yes, maybe. At second try starts without problems.
Maybe keep it in mind and see if happens more frequently in next time..

Thanks you help!

Christian
bad spot in the start button.... when your finger is on button just right it looses contact?

Nomadic

Keep a spare starter on hand. 5 occurrences in 2 years will grow into 10 occurrences in one year.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well keep us informed. Yep my 3116 did the same thing for the first time the other day after years of no problem. I was figuring that it was the way I pushed the push button. Most of the time I am standing on the step and reaching over the steering wheel to light her up. Have started it a couple of times since then with no problems but I also sit in the seat and press the button straight and with intent.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend of mine had almost the exact same scenerio with his 1078. I recommended that he load test each battery after he said voltages all tested fine. End result was 2 of the 4 batteries failed under load. Swapped to the 2 battery setup with the good ones and all is well.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Load tested all four of mine and all looking good. Guess I will wait till the problem shows it's ugly face again then start to worry.

Plasa

I have only 2 batts left, but connected to a balancer, to keep both at the same level. Maybe its really only the start button. I will keep an eye on it.

Christian

Load tested all four of mine and all looking good. Guess I will wait till the problem shows it's ugly face again then start to worry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks