• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripping a comm shelter

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just recently picked up this shelter and I'm in the process of pulling everything out so that I can use it as a live-in shelter.
P1071010.jpg

It's a S448 / TSC 60 (V) 1 and it still has some components. Are any of these worth anything? I'm sure the cables are, but anything else?
P1091014.jpg P1091015.jpg P1091016.jpgP1091017.jpg

P1091018.jpg P1091019.jpg P1091020.jpgP1091021.jpg P1091022.jpg

RAYZER

You get all the good stuff Wolf!
That's going to make a great camper!
The electrical components from the inside of your shelter may be worth something to someone building a radio com shelter set up, put the components in the classifieds and see what happens.

What do you have hooked to the back of that deuce?

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rayzer, you would ask that ;)

Here's the rest of the story,
P1071008.jpg P1071009.jpg

I finally got to pick up my 146 (that makes 7 I've acquired, 3 for Tuff's property, 3 for a friends property, and 1 for me :) Used a dolly that we had made from an old 105. This one and the two that were at my friends place were the nicest I've seen. They each had the stock ladder, glad-hands that were intact and w/ covers, intact AC Genny inputs, someone took the time to reshape the holes where the taillights mount so that they fit, and even welded the round blackout light holes closed. My has all new screen units and even has a ladder like what you just mod'd. What did they come from, any idea? I thought it might be for the deuce, but it doesn't match that w/ the tailgate up or down.
Pulled the whole mess back about 200 miles, over three passes w/ about 2.5K feet of gain each and only put it into 3rd twice. Now there's no reason not to pull that one of yours out west for a visit and some site seeing ;)
It will someday be it's own build thread when I turn it into my studio :)

But that's after I do this shelter build up, get some legs fab'd so that I can move it on and off of the bolster trailer, and do a trip or two w/ that combo.

Projects, . . . projects, . . . projects, . . . projects, . . . projects, . . .

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like thats 400hz stuff, I doubt it would be worth much to anyone.
It seems to be set up for both 50-60 & 400hz, also has a 28V indicator light. So I'm guessing it puts that out as well as 120v. (picture of the outside)
P1191025.jpg

What about the comm unit?
P1191024.jpg

I'm going to take the whole unit out of the wall, so it would be complete. That will be my window.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the stuff inside you are stripping out is worth something to those of use who are go in the opposite direction, like I am, building a custom radio shelter. They aren't worth a fortune, but they are worth it to save for reuse, to keep good USA-made parts out of landfills. Short answer, yes they are worth money to the right people, not a ton of money but you can recoup some of your shelter purchase expense.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm, thinking too. Take a look at how 59apache built his jacks. Think that might be the way to go.
I was watching when he did that. It was the first exciting mod for removing shelters that I had seen. I am going to run some round tube down the sides, being that it won't be in the bed and it's walls will be what rubs first. Seemed right to tie that in w/ lifting legs that I can remove. It will have to be cleaner/rounder so as to not catch on things. W/ it on the bolster, and the tracks we take, I'll prob need to cage it some. Just to keep the aluminum walls intact.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, the stuff inside you are stripping out is worth something to those of use who are go in the opposite direction, like I am, building a custom radio shelter. They aren't worth a fortune, but they are worth it to save for reuse, to keep good USA-made parts out of landfills. Short answer, yes they are worth money to the right people, not a ton of money but you can recoup some of your shelter purchase expense.
Thanks for that info. Thought that might be the case. I'm going to be removing things, not destroying things, just for that reason. I have even removed the cable channels from the ceiling and have kept all pieces together. Once I get everything out, and some idea of what it's all worth I'll photo and post in the classified.

RAYZER

That's a nice m146 you have there, looks to be in great shape!
I would like to see the tail light setup on yours to see how they are installed, mine are kind of buggered.
Did you say you pulled both the shelter and the trailer 200 miles up 7.5 thousand feet? Incredible!
I don't know what the ladder that I have came off of, but it's for something that has about 10" more deck height than the m146, maybe an m129 trailer.
And you know! I would like very much to take a road trip out there in the near future and hang out for awhile,I have never been out west, that would be some adventure!

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, no. When we go over passes out here it's the high point on the road going over the mountain range. It's then down hill, around here usually the same amount give or take. So I was crossing three valleys and climbing over the mountains on the other side. All of those climbs were around 2 - 2.5K in feet each, then back down hill to the bottom of the next valley.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Lowtech,

Some of those cylindrical things are inline Sprague filters to keep noise off the lines entering and exiting the shelter. As you take the parts out, would you note the model and ratings of each type of filter and post them?

I'm especially interested in any with high current DC (28 vdc or higher).

thanks

Bob

steelypip

I would be all over that panel with the gauges (or just the gauges and associated gizmos like shunts) for a load management panel for my standby generator for the right price. There is a 400 Hz freq meter there, but also volt, amp and 50-60 Hz meter. That stuff adds up in cost quickly.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I can't really tell from the shelter pictures but it looks like it might have the mobilizer mounts on it. That's a sweet option if it has them.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does :) and I'm hoping to use those mounting spots to be able to have a branch pushing bars running down the sides. as well as where the lifting legs attach. Kind of an all in one sort of unit.

I'm hoping to get the power & comm units removed next week (we'll see if I can get some spare time) and get everything photo'd and posted. Tennmogger & Steelypip, I'll let you guys now what I've got first.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would leave the electrical panel and remove the comm panel that way to can have power without redoing everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks