• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stripping a comm shelter

RAYZER

I would leave the electrical panel and remove the comm panel that way to can have power without redoing everything.
It has been my experience (and this is just my opinion), when configuring a custom livable space in a comm shelter, it's easier to tear out all of the AC wiring and related panels and start over, all of those components are usually in the way.

Last edited:

ke6rwj

creating havoc one broken bolt at a time...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has been my experience (and this is just my opinion), when configuring a custom livable space in a comm shelter, it's easier to tear out all of the AC wiring and related panels and start over, all of those components are usually in the way.

I rebuilt my shelter from the metal up, especially with AC you will want to get a good handle on the integrity of everything, usually its surface mounted, but sometimes in the walls. I would carefully take it down to the walls, you will want to inspect and possibly reinsulate it. i have seen everything from asbestos to mold in the walls.

I stripped mine to the metal, used undercoating and spray foam insulation and rebuilt it all. now i know for a fact what the wiring and everything is like.

not to mention often you want to add other amenities like cable and internet... :)

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OH the good old days! A couple years ago I picked up a beautiful S-280 complete with both A/C heating units, I have the same goals as you in making it into a living/camping quarters. In looking at all the stuff you have in yours its all the same stuff I had to deal with stripping mine out, there were all sorts of really neat stuff in there but if there was anything of value I could not find it, I even had a some of the connectors tested for gold content and there was none. I really enjoy working with Comm shelters they are just a very cool military item. Keep the pics coming looks like yet another very cool project!
KK

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
kubotaman - the electrical panel won't do me any good it takes up a space that's 8"x22"x36". I'm mostly a DC power person (AC is often a days drive from where we are parking). Panels on the top, a good MPPT charge controller and fuse block inside. Not much space used compared to what's taken up right now.

I'm totally w/ Rayzer on this. Even the She Beast had all the electrical components pulled out and redone w/ smaller/newer units that are more suited to our needs.

Ke6rwj - when you say from the "metal up", do you mean the inside metal? These shelters are made of alum walls, inside and out, w/ foam insulation in between. Everything inside is out (minus the two units), The wiring and comm cables were all run in channels attached to the ceiling. The wires for the AC have ends that went to specific machines and will all be removed. I'll keep the channels to run my own wiring. The ones that had the comm cables have already been removed and will be offered for sale when I post everything up. ". . . other amenities like cable and internet... :) ) We can't even get those on Tuff's property. Our internet is via cell phones that we tether to the laptops. It's primitive out here in the desert ;)

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:?::?::?: I thought trsnider was asking me if I still had parts available from this shelter, I sent him a PM and them posted here that I did (being that the person seemed new/ low post count)
Now you're telling me that you didn't recieve my PM and would find parts for me? ? Did I get that right?

:tigger:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Lowtech maybe I got included in this somehow and was not intended to be? But if it can help anybody I have a few pieces left over when I stripped out my S-280 and if anybody can use them they are welcome to them, And if I am just causing confusion in this I apologize, but with that said if anybody needs S-280 pieces let me know.
Karl

trsnider

Guys,
im sorry if I wasn't clear in the post and sorry for the confusion, I have a S448 / TSC 60 (V) 1 radio shelter I am restoring to original, Im looking for any and all parts or manuals for it
THANKS
Tony

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks