• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strongly considering selling 002a to put towards 802a at auction.. opinions ?

Chrispyny

I have read through the 002a vs 802a threads here. But i thought i would take the time to post this to see if anyones opinions have changed since the last majore 002a vs 802a thread which was started in april of this year ..

I have a 002a with supposed 93 hours. Had 89 until i got it running and warmed her up a few times. Recently i tweeked the gov linkage and have successfully put a good load on her with no droop to speak of. She runs great, although needs some of JimC's digital guages desperately as the HZ and amp meter are done for. So thats roughly $150 shipped. I have about $1,100 into her. I know i can get that back in a heart beat around here. Maybe even come close to doubling it.

I have a huge big one for the 802a's. I love how they are in a compact square super quiet case. Slightly smaller footprint and 4-500 lbs lighter than the 002a. The quiet factor is important to me most. I live in suburbia and a 002a running can be loud. When i walk off away from the house it gets MUCH quieter. BUT, i bet if i had a 802a running at the house, you wouldn't even hear the 802a running from the street at all. Thats VERY appealing to me. The ONLY thing i'll miss about the 002a is the overrating. I can prolly pull 7,500 watts easily with the 002a, which means in the summer i can have more than 2-3 window a/c units running. With the 802a, I'm not really sure thats the case.

Home is natural gas hot water baseboard. Only major electrical draw is the circulator pumps which cant be that much. 1400 house. natural gas hot water tank. all bulbs replaced with CFL's couple years ago. I also have a Jotul wood stove i use to supplement my heat in the winter. Love that thing. it has a blower to circulate heat but thats just a fan so draw cant be crazy.

Other than the air conditioning thing in the summer, i can't see why i shouldn't see what i can get for this 002a, to put towards a like new 802a. Shucks, there are 2010 year model 802's on auction right now in wisconson and north carolina with no hours on them. I know they will go for a premium but i'm just SO tempted!

Has anyone here used a shipping company to have a generator picked up and shipped to them after winning an auction ? How'd that work out for you ?

Triple Jim

You might consider getting the "ASK" enclosure for your 002A if it does what you need it to, but is just too loud. I've seen them offered for sale here occasionally.

Ray70

I don't have any first hand experience with an 802a, just 002's but from what I've read on this forum I'd be more inclined to stick with the 002 due to its simplicity and being air cooled. Either buy or build yourself an enclosure. If you're into it, buy yourself another 002 with an enclosure on it and swap it to your unit then fix up and sell that 002 at auction and make a little profit. There's a guy selling new enclosure for $500, but for a little more you could get yourself another genny. one of mine has an ASK on it. I run it at my shop 150' behind my house and I can't hear it at all inside the house. Paying to ship an 002 is always a killer, it's much more economical to buy and sell within driving distance if possible. 2 of mine came from MD and GL's "recommended" shippers wanted $600 and $1100 to bring one to RI. It cost me $180 in fuel and 14 hours ( 4 of them stuck in traffic) to drive down and pick up 2 and get back home.

cuad4u

I have several 003A's. Most are open and one is MINT with ASK. Honestly I cannot tell a whole lot of difference between them as far as noise is concerned.

Jimc

my dad has an 002 and its enclosed. he bought some flex exhaust pipe and a muffler from napa then ran the exhaust out. with then enclosure and muffler you cant even hear the thing run. no different than a car running in the driveway. its almost strange quiet. just doesnt seem right lol.

Jimc

no he has it in a shed. the muffler made quite a difference. the shed takes care of the engine noise itself. i dont think it would need anything as fancy as a shed. it could be as simple as some concrete blocks stacked around it just to block the sound

Last edited:

Jimc

yes jerry, he still fires it up once a month and its runnin strong. only problem is since i bought my very first generator maybe 2 years ago now, the power hasnt gone out! before both me and my dad bought these things we would lose power atleast once a month. go figure..lol ill tell him you said hi.

storeman

Same here with the power situation but we did have about a 6 hour outage a month ago when a guy hit a feed pole and the transformer landed on his car! Took a while for the rescue squad to be able to assist because the car was live! Used Peter's auto cycle gadget to fire up the 003a and enjoyed the evening. Guy was okay.

rustystud

yes jerry, he still fires it up once a month and its runnin strong. only problem is since i bought my very first generator maybe 2 years ago now, the power hasnt gone out! before both me and my dad bought these things we would lose power atleast once a month. go figure..lol ill tell him you said hi.
I wish I could say the same thing here, but the power goes out so often I need to replace the 200 gallons of fuel in my tank I bought last year ! At least the price of diesel has gone down lately !

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
you who think the 00*'s are quiet must have already lost your hearing. you can stand right beside a 80* and talk to someone, there is quite a magnitude of difference. the 002 is rated 79db at 25 ft and the 803 is rated 70db at 21 ft so you can see that in fact the 002 is 3 times louder than a 803.

Triple Jim

the 002 is rated 79db at 25 ft and the 803 is rated 70db at 21 ft so you can see that in fact the 002 is 3 times louder than a 803.
9 dB is actually an 8x power ratio. It's doubled every 3 dB, so 2x2x2=8. Perceived loudness is trickier, but that is a big difference.

Where did you find those numbers? I looked for them a couple days ago and came up empty.

Last edited:

Ratch

If you're primary objective is noise reduction, I say do it. If you can build a shed around your 002, I'd say keep that.
I have both an 002 and an 802, and while the 802 is definitely quieter, I'll probably go with the 002 for any multi-day outage we have.
The footprint is not much different. I'd also say the weight is not much different. I think by the data plate, they're both around 900 pounds.
The 802 *looks* nicer if you put it on wheels and roll it out to your driveway for outages. It doesn't handle overload at all, there are more maintenance items with water cooling, and you have to run it loaded...I've found mine gets a little sooty without load, then blows carbon out when its loaded.

It's definitely quieter, but I couldn't hold a normal conversation with 5 feet without raising my voice. The exhaust being so close to head level causes that, it would probably be better extended 4 feet up.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
9 dB is actually an 8x power ratio. It's doubled every 3 dB, so 2x2x2=8. Perceived loudness is trickier, but that is a big difference.

Where did you find those numbers? I looked for them a couple days ago and came up empty.
thanks, i knew it was an exponential scale just didn't think. i just started looking for 002 manuals and finally found one that gave specs. my neighbor has a 003 and i have many 802 and 803's and the difference is incredible.

Chrispyny

thanks for everyones responses. At this point i guess i'll keep it and see how it sounds after i build a fence along that portion of my property.

I just built this for it on thursday/friday. image.jpg

Hopefully, if i change my mind, mep's will still be available at affordable costs. Whats an 803 burn at full load ?

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
802's are still affordable, but probably twice the cost of a 003. 803's are around $7 to $8k in very good condition. fuel consumption is 802, .55/hr, 803, .99/hr

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks