• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

stuck piston rings

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I bought my M185A3 4 weeks ago, I optimistically guessed the reason it wasn't running was because it wasn't getting fuel to the injectors. After all, I "knew" this truck, why, Iv'e seen it running! But that was 5 years ago and after that it sat parked outside at the Neew York gas statuion. Here in Florida I invited a professional diesel man to help me, and after verifying fuel to the injectors, and noticing the turbo was frozen, he sprayed some vapor into the cylinders and after some cranking, ...no ignition. Now I was worried. But the compression test went like this : cylinder 6- 220 PSIG, cylinder 5- 210PSIG, cylinder 4- 180 PSIG I got more worried. Then the technician put some MARVEL MYSTERY OIL and into cylinder 4, now the compression went to 400 PSIG! What happened, I asked? Marlon said, the rings are stuck to the pistons and we got to free them or change them. So we put ounces of the mystery oil in each cylinder and hope it will work it all free. I willlso put a 50% mixture of acetone and tranny fluid.AnY other idaes?:sad:

diesel583

If you can get it running, pull start? Put a quart of Berryman B12 in the oil run it for about an hour and change the oil. It will cure it or kill it. Used it many times with both results. Sometimes it works , sometimes you end up doing a rebuild. One way or the other it is clean inside.

Bill W

When I started my fuel cleaning business my first fuel truck was a 1964 Dodge D-400 with a poly 318ci engine, this truck had literally been put out to pasture for 3 years before I bought it ( I was on a tight budget ). About half way back on my 180 mile trip home with it the truck lurched several times and the engine took on a whole different sound to which made me pull over and take a look under the hood, couldn't find anything wrong other then the engine ran great for the rest of the trip back, I later came to the conclusion that the rings had freed up during the trip. So looong story short before you pull her apart take her out for a good run if you can get her fired up ( even getting her up to operating temp will help free the rings )

5tonpuller

When you get it started, Let it warm up. You might have to feather the gas some to keep it going. Then take it for a easy ride. Not far. If it starts to run better make sure there is no leaks, then take it out for a good hard ride. Warm it up don't go far. Make it work. This is allwas done it for me no matter what kind of motor it was. Big small or fuel. Good luck.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M109 smokes quite a bit more than my M35 does. The M109 has an LDS and its not a black smoke like the pump is turned up... more blue smoke and i dont understand it. The engine looks clean and nice, but who knows with these trucks how long it sat before I got it. My brother came up for thanksgiving and he wanted to go on a roat trip with both trucks. He drove the M109A3 and I drove the M35A2 and it helped the truck out a lot. It also likes to run really cool, so i put the front cover on to get the engine temperature up. We drove back roads and went up some pretty steep hills. Its what these trucks need to keep them running good. A good road trip and 2200-2250 RPM

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to yake nome Berryman B12 Chemtrol and pour it in each cylinder while I have the injectoirs out and let it set for a few days. Then hook it all back up[ and try to get ignition, then follow with the recommended system cleaning . I am confident...

diesel583

Thanks Gimpyrobb, I've been busy today. Be warned B12 will take anything off anything. Likes to eat paint and some plastics. Good luck

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today I added ounces of Berryman 12 to each cylinder. I shall let it set for a while. I shall also take out the oil pressure sending unit and install a mechanical pressure guage, 0-100 PSIG, so that when I crank next, I will hopefully hverify oil pressure.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here it is June 7, and having tested the compresion again, it came up a little. I shall try ot start it with the help of brake cleaner, and if it don;t run, a pull start...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks