• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stud part number

CA_LEO

So, I’ve tried searching this forum and countless others. I’m looking for the 5/16 shouldered studs that mount onto the nose of the water pump and keep the fan pulley centered and attached to the water pump. I found a part number in the 289-34P TM, which was 14061661. Problem is this is listed as a metric bolt thread, and the TM says I need two, whereas mine has four. I’m super confused about this.

I’ve searched everywhere I can think of and can’t find any studs that are the same size. Does anyone know if my studs are just odd, or if there is another part number or source to get these?

I should also note, the ones from LMC do not have the flanged shoulder like mine have. Below is a picture of the only one of these studs I was able to get out of the original water pump semi undamaged.

Thanks for any help you can give

Attachments

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I’ve tried searching this forum and countless others. I’m looking for the 5/16 shouldered studs that mount onto the nose of the water pump and keep the fan pulley centered and attached to the water pump. I found a part number in the 289-34P TM, which was 14061661. Problem is this is listed as a metric bolt thread, and the TM says I need two, whereas mine has four. I’m super confused about this.

I’ve searched everywhere I can think of and can’t find any studs that are the same size. Does anyone know if my studs are just odd, or if there is another part number or source to get these?

I should also note, the ones from LMC do not have the flanged shoulder like mine have. Below is a picture of the only one of these studs I was able to get out of the original water pump semi undamaged.

Thanks for any help you can give
I'm seeing you need 4 in the TM. I pulled all the accessories of a 6.2 that I got rid of last weekend and I can only find 2 of the bolts.

16134441249002839130697150718958.jpg

I think I have read on here that they aren't made anymore.

I think I can find the other 2. Let me know if you need them.

CA_LEO

I forgot to ask if I was wrong in the assumption that these appear to help center and prevent the pulley from slipping around on the water pump. If there is another type of stud or bolt that will work just as well I will gladly take those recommendations.
I'm seeing you need 4 in the TM. I pulled all the accessories of a 6.2 that I got rid of last weekend and I can only find 2 of the bolts.

View attachment 825971

I think I have read on here that they aren't made anymore.

I think I can find the other 2. Let me know if you need them.
Thanks, I can find those ones that you posted, but the ones I pulled out are perfectly cylindrical and do not have the hex head on them. That’s why I was wondering if they are designed that way to minimize the pulley slipping.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Huh. I see that now. Maybe mine are still on the pump... which went with the engine. Good luck.

What about these from Autozone?

Dorman - HELP M6 X 1.0 Water Pump Stud Kit 12 Piece
Part #23743
SKU #102826

Last edited:

CA_LEO

Thank you. The ones from Autozone will not work either unfortunately. The shorter part of the stud is 5/16 20 thread and the longer part of the stud is 5/16 18 thread. Leave it to GM to use a part as messed up as this...

cucvrus

Just bolt the fan on with a bolt that fits the threads in the water pump flange. Use lock tight and a lock washer if it worries you that much. A bolt that fits and gets tight is all you need. No special rocket science needed for this application. It was an assembly design that made quick assembly when the engine and fan were mated during total vehicle assembly. It wasn't meant as a way to make things difficult. Get a short grade 5 bolt that fits the pump flange and install the fan. Done. Drive On.

Last edited:

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just bolt the fan on with a bolt that fits the treads in the water pump flange. Use lock tight and a lock washer if it worries you that much. A bolt that fits and gets tight is all you need. No special rocket science needed for this application. It was an assembly design that made quick assembly when the engine and fan were mated during total vehicle assembly. It wasn't meant as a way to make thing difficult. Get a short grade 5 bolt that fits the pump flange and install the fan. Done. Drive On.
It really is this simple!

CA_LEO

Just bolt the fan on with a bolt that fits the threads in the water pump flange. Use lock tight and a lock washer if it worries you that much. A bolt that fits and gets tight is all you need. No special rocket science needed for this application. It was an assembly design that made quick assembly when the engine and fan were mated during total vehicle assembly. It wasn't meant as a way to make things difficult. Get a short grade 5 bolt that fits the pump flange and install the fan. Done. Drive On.
That’s what I was hoping to hear, but wanted to tap the knowledge source here. Thanks so much! Sometimes my OCD gets the best of me.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You never did get the OEM ......................
Stud part number

Are you done doing what you had to do or would your like the original stud part number and where to get them?

CA_LEO

You never did get the OEM ......................
Stud part number

Are you done doing what you had to do or would your like the original stud part number and where to get them?
I found part number 12337960, however from everything I have seen, this does not have the flanged shoulder. If you have a source for the one with the flanged shoulder, I would greatly appreciate it. Like I said, my OCD gets the best of me and I would prefer to put the OEM part on there.

cucvrus

The fan clutch hub will center itself on the water pump. Do as you wish but you are way over thinking these studs to attach the fan. If they were the sole centering shoulders I would be with you. But being that the hub center fits into the fan clutch center they are just there. Good Luck.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the small block chevy gas engines that I have worked on had smooth studs that screwed into water pump hub and then the pulley slipped on over them, then the fan clutch followed by a lock washer and nut. Real easy to assemble.

Some of the big blocks had a longer stud bolt with lock washer that went thru the pulley and fan with spacer into the pump hub. A little harder to assemble but worked fine.

The 6.2's I have are the smooth type also without the rounded flange.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is what came up for the part # 12337960

THREAD CLASS2A NUT THREAD
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND NUT THREAD
THREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND STUD THREAD
THREAD LENGTH0 39/100 INCHES MINIMUM STUD THREAD AND 43/100 INCHES MAXIMUM STUD THREAD
THREAD LENGTH0 57/100 INCHES MINIMUM NUT THREAD AND 3/5 INCHES MAXIMUM NUT THREAD
SHOULDER DIAMETER0 41/100 INCHES MINIMUM AND 11/25 INCHES MAXIMUM
SHOULDER LENGTH0 9/100 INCHES MINIMUM AND 13/100 INCHES MAXIMUM
OVERALL LENGTH1 1/20 INCHES MINIMUM AND 1 4/25 INCHES MAXIMUM
THREAD QUANTITY PER INCH18 NUT THREAD
HARDNESS RATING33 ROCKWELL C MINIMUM AND 39 ROCKWELL C MAXIMUM
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 39/125 INCHES NUT THREAD
NOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 8/25 INCHES STUD THREAD
THREAD PITCH IN MILLIMETERS1 1/4 STUD THREAD
THREAD TOLERANCE CLASS6G EXTERNAL STUD THREAD
MATERIALSTEEL
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONGM 500-M 10 9/10 FSCM 11862 MFR REF SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE
SURFACE TREATMENTPHOSPHATE OVERALL
SURFACE TREATMENT DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONGM 6047-M OR GM 6147-M FSCM 11862 MFR REF SINGLE TREATMENT RESPONSE OVERALL
STYLE DESIGNATORSHOULDERED
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORM STUD THREAD
THREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNC NUT THREAD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks