• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Successful Deuce Recovery

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been watching an ad on Craigslist for a Deuce in the 29 Palms area that had either a bad rear axle or a transfer case problem, and was for sale for a STEAL. So, I finally got enough saved up to go and buy her. Thankfully, she had a clear California title and a Non-Operational certificate.

Overall, this truck is SOLID and in good shape; I brought batteries and diesel fuel, and after draining filters/sumps/air tanks, she fired right up after about 10 seconds of cranking. Air pressure built up right away, and after a minute the exhaust was blowing nice and clean. The seller said that he couldn't get the truck to move, and when I tried to back her up, the rear tires just spun in the soft sand (no weight in the bed). I engaged the front axle and she backed right up with no effort.

Everything looks great on this truck: no leaks, just a little normal seepage. The brake pedal went right to the floor, I hope it's just an empty/leaking master cylinder. The throttle pedal return spring was broken, so I placed a pair of leather work gloves under the pedal to keep it from running WOT. I slowly backed her up, and lined her up to my trailer. I didn't see any external damage to either rear axle nor the transfer case, and she seemed to drive just fine (had to go slow due to no brakes).

So, I hooked up my tree-saver strap to my snatch block, and slowly winched the Deuce on board my trailer. It was then that the winch would almost bog down (I double-checked that the truck wasn't in gear & emergency brake was disengaged) as the Deuce slowly inched up my loading ramps, until I could hear a "clang" sound and then the Deuce rolled freely again. A closer inspection revealed that the rear output shaft on the forward rear axle was out of position, and the collar was catching on some loose bolts from the flange housing. So, I removed the bolts and the Deuce was winched aboard with no problems.

Once the truck was all chained down and secured, it was dark, so we drove slowly all 250+ miles home. We made it safely home with no drama just before midnight. Now I get to drive her off and place her safely in my side yard, so I can start applying the TLC she needs to get road-worthy again.

So far, she needs the following:

• New forward rear axle (Hundy to the rescue!)
  • New windshield (both sides)
  • New headlights
  • Battery tray
  • Brakes thoroughly checked and bled once master cylinder is refilled
  • New throttle pedal return spring
  • Adjust/replace the engine shut-off cable
  • Repair/replace passenger-side door latch
  • New passenger-side roll-up window
  • Replace driver-side roll-up window
  • Re-cover or replace driver's seat
  • Misc flex lines replaced in engine compartment (starting to dry-rot)
  • Full fluid & filter replacement/flushes
The tires are in GREAT shape; no signs of dry-rot nor weathering, and have LOTS of tread left. No signs of leakage from anything, just normal seepage. Body & frame are straight, no major damage; no signs of rust damage either. The axles have data plates from the Tooele (Utah) Depot where they were rebuilt recently, and the engine runs great. The clutch feels nice and tight (quick engagement), and the transfer case shifts just fine (both High and Low range).

Hundy has rear axles, so I hope to pick one up in a couple of weeks when I head down there (and Hundy, I sincerely apologize for making Brian wait so long; it was dark & late when we finally finished loading, so I hope to make it up to him in 2 weeks), as well as a windshield and some other parts. I hope to have it road-worthy and registered in Nevada in a month or two.

My trailer is more than capable of hauling a load the size of the Deuce: I run 17.5-inch wheels/tires, 16-ply Load Range H, capable of hauling nearly 5K pounds EACH at 120psi. I have 8K-pound axles, spring-over conversion, and air bags on each corner (4 total: AirLift Load Lifter 5000). The air bags really helped, and the tires never even got warm during the loaded return trip. New brakes on truck & trailer worked flawlessly, and I never had a stopping issue. We stayed to the backroads so I could do 45mph or slower without bothering anyone. Drama-free and no issues! :jumpin:

Attachments

SPCWarning

Congrats!

Glad you had a safe and uneventful recovery! Looks like you got a real clean truck there and it should be on the road in no time. From the pictures it looks like the damage could possible been caused by a forklift (????) It may just be a damaged yoke there. Just for simplicity's sake you may want to remove the front carrier on that diff and take a look. That's just what I saw from the closeup picture though. Either way, very nice Deuce!
Jimmy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking drip side. Loose the rear driveshafts and axle shafts and move it about on the front drive axle unitl you get it fixed.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind words fellas! I really appreciate it!

Good day today: got the Deuce off-loaded and parked! I found the source of the fuel leak, it was the rubber flexible supply line coming into the bottom of the injection pump. I had some new fuel line in the same size (thank God I have a Detroit Diesel 4-53 in my 86 GMC; lots of misc diesel parts lying around my garage!) so I simply replaced it and the leak went away.

Then, I removed the inter-axle driveshaft, and adjusted the parking brake so I could stop the truck once I off-loaded it; the nut was loose on the adjusting shaft above the transfer case, so I cleaned up the threads and made a thread-cutter out of the nut to restore the threaded rod. It went on fine, and once I had the parking brake adjusted I turned my attention to the brake master cylinder: it was empty. However, by this time the sun was fading, so I wanted to get it off-loaded and parked before it got to be dinner time.

She fired right up, and when I went to let the clutch out, nothing happened! I looked at the forward rear axle, and it seems that the through-put shaft is completely sheared off, it isn't turning anything inside the forward rear axle. So, I took Recovry4x4's advice and engaged the front axle. She moved effortlessly and I left her parked on the side of my house, until I get a proper area cleared for her on the side of my house where I can repair her at.

FMJ, I hope it's an easy fix! I won't know what's damaged inside the pumpkin until I remove the top-load third member and look inside. I hope I can just flush out any garbage and install a new third member....but then again, maybe a replacement axle would be easier in the long run; Hundy has several in stock, I plan on picking one up from him in 2 weeks.

All in all, I am very happy with this truck; it is in awesome shape, and it has a clean title so can I easily register it here in Nevada. It won't take much to get her road-worthy again.

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
one thing, MCs do NOT go EMPTY by themselves, find the leak, the fluid had to go some where

BadMastard

Glad to see you got your deuce! That axle might be just a bit unhappy! I'd bet at least one of your brake lines was crushed, check near the axles, front and back. Usually towing it or fork lifting it will end up doing that. Great looking truck!

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bet you got some looks driving down the road with that puppy on your trailer. Congrats!
You got that right! Even though it was dark out, more folks than not would hang out near my blind spot while passing, I think they were trying to make sure they weren't hallucinating! ;)

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
one thing, MCs do NOT go EMPTY by themselves, find the leak, the fluid had to go some where
Very true, and I couldn't find where it leaked out from either. I hope I don't have to replace the master cylinder. I was going to fill & bleed this weekend, but then realized that I need to swap axles first, so I don't waste brake fluid. I'll check afterwards, if it's leaking, then there should be fresh brake fluid oozing out from somewhere after I fill the MC.

Plus I want to pressure-wash it this weekend, to get some of the crud off of it and check for any serious leaks (other than what I already fixed/found).

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see you got your deuce! That axle might be just a bit unhappy! I'd bet at least one of your brake lines was crushed, check near the axles, front and back. Usually towing it or fork lifting it will end up doing that. Great looking truck!
Hi Jerry, thanks very much! Sorry it's not an A3 like you told me to get... :smile: My wife can live with this bargain, not so much the cost of an A3.

The original owner said he bought it from a GL auction in California and used it for work for a couple of years, before a disgruntled employee drove it in low gear for an extended amount of time/miles and ruined the rear axle. That's what he told me, and I didn't see anything to convince me otherwise.

I asked if he flipped the rear hubs, and he said no, he bought the truck that way from GL. Interesting. My conversion to super single radials will be that much easier.

Ma Duce

As i am soon to be an A3 owner, come Wednesday, I might as well contribute to the fued....

so that is how you dirve a A2...towed by a dodge pickup

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL, I was wondering how long it was going to take! :wink:

I was so intent on loading it, I didn't notice how tall it really was until I stepped back to gather up my chains & binders....then it hit me & I thought "HOLY CRAP, that thing sure looks bigger on the back of a trailer!!!" No worries on the return trip though.

Once this baby is up & running, I can use my new Deuce to go pick up my old M35 dump truck out of storage...tires are completely dry-rotted and it needs a lot of work, but HEY, it's a dump truck!!!

My co-workers gave me a ton of ribbing when I showed them the photos...so I'm not worried! :grd:

BadMastard

Now that's a funny thought. I can see it in my head.

"Lets have a fight with the Marine Corps, Captain."

"That wouldn't be fair Sergeant, we outnumber them 5 to 1."

"I see your point sir. Can we get the air force to help us out?"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks