• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sun 11/17 Azusa canyon

RustyM923

20131117_123056.jpg

It was fun meeting the some new people!

We had three Pinzgauers (Yannick, Chris (no handle?) and ???) and a genuine military HMMWV (Nelson?) show up. I didn't get many pictures as I was in the seat a lot of the time. If anyone has pics, post them up!

The stuckiest part of the day was when I was in low range and my front axle didn't lock in. I was stuck in that tiny river crossing for a minute or two. Someone yelled to me that my fronts weren't turning and I flipped the lever...Zing! Out I came! A little toyota pickup went back the way I came across and found out first hand how deep those 14.00R20's can dig! He dropped in deep! He had to get towed back a bit to make a cleaner approach on the crossing.

Fastnova convinced me to drive up a steep hill (with NO chance of making the turn at the top). We both made it virtually to the top with very little tire spin and no hopping. I was impressed! The backing down part was a little unnerving, thought...almost ran out of air by the bottom! In hind sight, I should have put my throttle up a few rpm to keep the tank topped off. Noob mistake.

After this trip, I'm feeling the need for a bit more power (especially off idle!).

Edit: Oh, and thanks Yannick for scaring the **** out of me in that Pinzgauer. I thought we were going over for sure! Those things are impressive little tractors!

Last edited:

RustyM923

Here's a quick vid of toms truck going up what non of the Pinz, humvs or jeeps could go up
Thanks for posting that. It sure did look effortless in the M923.
I think I widened it a bit as I went up, meaning that my tires didn't fall into those holes and have to climb 3' of nearly vertical sand/dirt.

Last edited:

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well let me say thanks everyone that showed up.
Thanks RustyM923 for setting this up.
Yannick thanks for the ride, sitting passenger in a Pinz will definitely make the cheeks pucker up if you are not expecting it.
Papaydsailor thanks for the donuts (a little wet, but still tasty) and CTIS seals.
Jeremy it was good meeting your dad and peeps. You have to make it to the next rally if we have to tow your truck there we will, I have a tow bar ready.

Who knew a H1 would fit in a 5 ton without a crowbar.NCM_0061.jpgPapadysailor if you need a ride next time let me know we can throw your HMMWV in the back of Brutus.

NCM_0058.jpg
Expendable what is BTMing?

Last edited:

Expendable

Expendable what is BTMing?
BTM = Brake Throttle Modulation

For Humvees/Hummers when you lose traction and can not make it up/over an obstacle you lightly press on the brake. this allows the worm gears in the torsen (torque sensing) differentials act like a limited slip differential putting power to transger power to the tire with traction. It takes a while to get used to how much you brake you need to apply while going up/over obstacles.

Here's an AM General Promo Video with a slight intro to BTMing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9FPs40VUM&list=PL8EF82ECC4A139DFB&index=2
skip to 3:00 if you don't want to watch the whole video.

yannick

Yes it is although there is a fire/service road thats open to the top of the mountain, i've taken my 4dr f350 lb with a trailer.. not sure if you would fit?? I'll look into it tomorrow!