• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Super single or duals?

GILBERT2020

If you don't mind sharing, what's the freight going to cost and for what distance shipped?

I've looked at their items before but I imagine freight from Wisconsin to Washington state would cost a pretty penny...
Well from Feltz i bought two combat rims and two 395 85 r20's and it was $125 to ship it to Missouri. This is probably over 500 pounds so i think $125 is fair. They are about 800 miles from me. I would message them on ebay and ask them what shipping would be. Dustin Feltz is real nice and helpful.

I got 10 Michelin XZL's 12.00R20's from Champlin tire in Concordia, KS and i am going to pick these up this weekend.

GILBERT2020

Got all my tires in, install will be done in the next 48 hours, here's a before photo. I will post an after photo also.

Not going to lie here, really worried about the gap on the duals going from 11.00R20 to 12.00R20.. Worried that they are going to be touching.

on a side note this was about $4,000 total when all said and done.

Attachments

Last edited:

GILBERT2020

Well they are installing my new tires today and have broke one stud so far. Anyone have any idea where I can get another one? How hard is it to replace? Can I run it unit I get an new stud? Thanks for any info

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Memphis equipment or Midwest military would be closest to you or ebay. It's not a commercial item.

You are not supposed to run with broken studs but its your call

You will need new inner and outer wheel seals to replace the stud pulling the inboard hub/drum

GILBERT2020

Memphis equipment or Midwest military would be closest to you or ebay. It's not a commercial item.

You will need new inner and outer wheel seals to replace the stud pulling the inboard hub/drum
Thank you Sir. about to order all this. I really owe you man.

GILBERT2020

Alright men- I have the rears on her! She looks good! The tire Tech did break one stud off, got the parts on order for this.

Wes was right, she fits like a glove. Thanks!

I will post once I get the steer tires on her. But I want these photos posted so that when someone else does this they know it will work and how it looks.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Alright men- I have the rears on her! She looks good! The tire Tech did break one stud off, got the parts on order for this.

Wes was right, she fits like a glove. Thanks!

I will post once I get the steer tires on her. But I want these photos posted so that when someone else does this they know it will work and how it looks.
Looks like you can say "My Baby just got New Shoes!
Really nice...

GILBERT2020

Wes- I wont need anything else will I? Just making sure before I tare into her is all. Don't want to drive it until I get this stud fixed.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave duals on the wrecker. With 1200R20s on the drives you can use a 395 85 R20 super single on the steer for more flotation
Exactly this!

1200r20s in dual configuration actually have higher load capacity and more ground contact area than a single 395.

This is what you need in the wrecker application.

1200r20 = 30,440 lb tire rating per axle, when dualled, and a footprint of 360² in
395/85R20 = 20,400 lb tire rating per axle, and a footprint of 310² in

395vs1200.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Exactly this!

1200r20s in dual configuration actually have higher load capacity and more ground contact area than a single 395.

This is what you need in the wrecker application.

1200r20 = 30,440 lb tire rating per axle, when dualled, and a footprint of 360² in
395/85R20 = 20,400 lb tire rating per axle, and a footprint of 310² in

View attachment 843512
I think the idea of super singles might have been lost on folks wanting "them big tires" on their trucks.
The real reason was to keep our active military on top of the sand.
Not to carry more weight.

Look at any concrete company here on our corner of the country. Not much sand over here. Lots of mud though
Super low pressure and spreading the weight on those big fat tires for mixer trucks...

Yes? Maybe?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dual tire CTIS is a nightmare
They can barely get single tires right.

The maxxpro plus MRAP runs dual 1200s with no CTIS.
Makes a lot of sense.

Most folks at the Outer Banks carry little valve stem caps that auto deflate their tires to play in the sand. And the smarter ones have a small compressor to pump the tires back up when they leave the beach.

It isn't CTIS, but it is a manual version of it.

charlesmann

Ahh... The safety wire and the real magic of the "right tool for the job" . The pliers...

View attachment 843650

Iv tried using them over the past 10 yrs and never could get the hang of them compared to doing it by hand. We werent allowed to use them in my units in the army, so, hand twisting it was. Plus the pliers crimped/nicked/scored the wire, leaving a weak spot in the wire and broke many a wire when pulling it through the hole and popping it tight.

Some can make their twists look text book perfect, but still nick the wire, leaving that weak spot.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Iv tried using them over the past 10 yrs and never could get the hang of them compared to doing it by hand. We werent allowed to use them in my units in the army, so, hand twisting it was. Plus the pliers crimped/nicked/scored the wire, leaving a weak spot in the wire and broke many a wire when pulling it through the hole and popping it tight.

Some can make their twists look text book perfect, but still nick the wire, leaving that weak spot.
Funny. In the Navy we had to use the tool. Similar but different from the picture. Also had the check valve sealing tool and if you didn't use the tools you could be on a "crap detail" for a lot longer than you wanted to be. Our twisting tools were actually teflon coated too

Either way will work though. Especially if people know that nicks and kinks cause problems.

Reactions: HDN

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the idea of super singles might have been lost on folks wanting "them big tires" on their trucks.
The real reason was to keep our active military on top of the sand.
Not to carry more weight.

Look at any concrete company here on our corner of the country. Not much sand over here. Lots of mud though
Super low pressure and spreading the weight on those big fat tires for mixer trucks...

Yes? Maybe?
That's why I mentioned contact area.

2x 1200s have larger patch area than 1x 395.

In sand, a single 1200r20 is 147² in contact, and a 395 is 220² in footprint. While dualled 1200R20s dropped to low pressure aren't suggested due to tire rub, it's definitely doable.

So, 147 *4 = 588² in footprint for an axle with G272s on it vs 220 *2 = 440² in footprint for an axle with 2 395s on it. It would be for emergency use, basically, and not something to be done constantly.

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To expand on that.... A truck weighing 30Klbs.... with 10 aired down G272s = 1,470 sq in of area. So, we take 30K and divide by the 1,470, and you get 17.2413793103 ... So, ~17 PSI

For contrast, the average human foot exerts ~6-16 PSI depending on standing, running, etc.

Contrast that to 6 395s - 220 * 6 = 1,320 sq in ... Same 30K lb truck would give you 22.727272727 .... or ~23 PSI.....

So, your 30k lb truck puts about 3x as much weight per square inch than a standing, flat footed, 150lb person, when running G272s. On 395s, you're about 4x as much weight as 150lb person. A roughly 25% increase in weight per square inch.

All things being equal, of course. You can't take dualled tires down in air pressure that much because they'll hit the other tire and rub.

But, people comparing dualled 1100s at 60PSI and 395s at 25 PSI are being disingenuous, at best.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks