• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Supplies for a Long Trip

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long would you think it will take me to drive 1700 miles? I'm trying to plan my overnight stops (hotel reservations & such). Hopefully no unexpected stops along the way, but trying to build in time to cover them (just in case). 3-days & a few hours for 1700mi is my optimistic plan, but worst case, I have 7-days to get it back before I have to worry about my job back home.
I typically do OKC to Tucson in 3 days. This in 939series 5tons.

I drove an M35A2C from ft polk to tucson in 5 days. I had a couple of gotchas on the trip, but I also had flexibility due to sleeping in the back of the truck.

I drove a 939series 5ton from indianapolis to tucson and if I remember correctly that one was 5 days, but I had a stop in Waco to drop off an M109A3.

You may do it in 4 days if you push it, 5 days reasonably, and 6 days if there's any kind of surprises.

You really don't want to push it. The last thing you want to do is drive an unfamiliar truck when you're dead tired. This is how badness ensues.

Here's my latest criterion - if I'm too tired to change a super single by myself, then I'm too tired to be driving one of these.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I typically do OKC to Tucson in 3 days. This in 939series 5tons.

I drove an M35A2C from ft polk to tucson in 5 days. I had a couple of gotchas on the trip, but I also had flexibility due to sleeping in the back of the truck.

I drove a 939series 5ton from indianapolis to tucson and if I remember correctly that one was 5 days, but I had a stop in Waco to drop off an M109A3.

You may do it in 4 days if you push it, 5 days reasonably, and 6 days if there's any kind of surprises.

You really don't want to push it. The last thing you want to do is drive an unfamiliar truck when you're dead tired. This is how badness ensues.

Here's my latest criterion - if I'm too tired to change a super single by myself, then I'm too tired to be driving one of these.
Thanks, I'll plan for 5-days then. I don't want to push vehicle or driver on my first trip.

"How can these super singles weight so much? They're filled with air!" :lol:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the record, here apparently is what Eisenhower actually said (the other post is only the internet "shorthand").

Either way, safe trip; and as our good Padre has already offered Vaya con Dios:

View attachment 615123
Thanks. I am very grateful of everyone on this site that has given me such great information about the M35A2. I would have been ill prepared to go and get it without all the advice, guidance, & encouragement.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wondering what type of driver seat will you have in the (new to you) M35A2? If it is the original seat, you'll have a much
more difficult time driving extra miles. If you'll have a comfortable 'truckers' seat... it will be easier to do more miles. Also,
I recall you mentioned that your wife was making the trip with you. Will she be driving a rental, 'chase car', or is she
going to be a passenger on the bench seat in the cab of the deuce?
I'll be riding in the stock spring seat for the trip, but will have an extra cushion if I need it. I want to see how much legroom I have to operate the pedals so didn't want to upgrade the seat yet. The stock 20" steering wheel is too big for me (in the way) so I'm going with the 18" wheel. No, I don't have power steering (couldn't justify or afford $3500 for that) so it will be Armstrong steering & probably Flex-All at night. Yep, with 395s, I'm definitely a glutton for punishment. :cookoo:

My wife will be riding with me, but the bench seat on the passenger side has been replaced with a spring seat like on the driver's side.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We would also do well to remember that some 2000 years ago, when Ceasar was about to invade England with its heavy fortifications and larger number of warriors, and being so far from their Roman homeland, he gave the order, "BURN THE SHIPS".
His men then knew there was only one way home - Through victory!

And in a more recent example, a mission's success was assured by the words chosen by General "Stormin' Norman" Schwarzkopf when he addressed the Coalition with at the start of the First Gulf War in quoting Civil War General Sherman's words, "War is the remedy the enemy has chosen. I say, let us give him all that he can stand!"

Your determination to accomplish this mission is evident. Your attitude will be key to your mission's ultimate success. I admire your pre-planning an aggressive timetable with the tenacity to adapt and overcome as may be necessary to meet your objective.

Our prayers go with you. There is help along your route. Should you need assistance, don't hesitate to post a MAYDAY:___________ Thread flashing your needs across these Forums. Available help will respond at your call.

Carry on.

Standing by.

Many thanks! I have been through some very sticky situations in my life and The Lord has always watched out for me. The simple fact that I am still alive today is proof of miracles. I thank you all for your prayers & I pray The Lord will guide me on this journey for with Him, all things are possible.:-D

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I don't have power steering (couldn't justify or afford $3500 for that) so it will be Armstrong steering & probably Flex-All at night. Yep, with 395s, I'm definitely a glutton for punishment. :cookoo:
As long as you are rolling, the Armstrong steering is not too bad, esp. on the open road where the turns are gradual. I'll be taking my shop van to Touch-a-Truck this Saturday, and I always tell the pre-teen boys if they can turn the steering wheel one full turn, I'll give them the truck. Since it's sitting still on concrete even I can't do that! And there are only one or two people in the club (MVCSC) that can come close.

Another Ahab

As long as you are rolling, the Armstrong steering is not too bad, esp. on the open road where the turns are gradual. I'll be taking my shop van to Touch-a-Truck this Saturday, and I always tell the pre-teen boys if they can turn the steering wheel one full turn, I'll give them the truck.
A little drifting here, but "Touch-a-Truck" , SCSG-G4; what's the story on that?

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you are rolling, the Armstrong steering is not too bad, esp. on the open road where the turns are gradual. I'll be taking my shop van to Touch-a-Truck this Saturday, and I always tell the pre-teen boys if they can turn the steering wheel one full turn, I'll give them the truck. Since it's sitting still on concrete even I can't do that! And there are only one or two people in the club (MVCSC) that can come close.
That story is awesome! Makes me want to take the truck to some snooty valet parking restaurant & see how they react. Nah, I couldn't do it. Nobody drives my vehicles except me & my mechanic.

The 78-passenger bus I used to drive had Armstrong steering & IronFoot brakes. Both feet down & pull on the steering wheel. Our little church in MS was poor in coin, but rich in spirit.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I consider power steering a must-have with 395's, especially with the smaller steering wheel....

I changed my mind, and can't delete.... #!#!#%##!!!
What are all those bumps on you? You look all swelled up & about to explode. My muscles are all smooth & streamlined, making me very aerodynamic (think the nose of a C-5 Galaxy).
;);):p:naner::whistle::cookoo::grin:rofl:tin hat:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Concerning the "At one time this was true as a rule." Would that happen to include the 1970 Kaiser Jeep M35A2? That is the year and model I will be picking up.
Easiest way to check is to look at the end of the studs. Somewhere under all the layers of paint will be either a "L" or a "R", normally the "L" ones will be on the driver's side and the "R" ones will be on the passenger side. But snuffy maintained these poor forlorn creatures, and he has been known to use whatever he could lay his hands on first. Thus it is always wise to look!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little drifting here, but "Touch-a-Truck" , SCSG-G4; what's the story on that?
Many communities have such an event, which allows children of all ages an opportunity to get up close the large or 'strange' (read old, military, etc.) vehicles. Since the deuce has Armstrong steering to begin with, it is difficult to get the steering wheel to make a full revolution while moving at less than 1 mph, sitting still with the engine off, it is even more difficult. Back to off topic - the oldest child I've had so far was 84, a WWII vet.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest way to check is to look at the end of the studs. Somewhere under all the layers of paint will be either a "L" or a "R", normally the "L" ones will be on the driver's side and the "R" ones will be on the passenger side. But snuffy maintained these poor forlorn creatures, and he has been known to use whatever he could lay his hands on first. Thus it is always wise to look!
Can these be changed so they all match? I've driven my Jeep for 19-years & never once has a wheel come off from loose lugs.

rustystud

Can these be changed so they all match? I've driven my Jeep for 19-years & never once has a wheel come off from loose lugs.
Yes, but it's a lot of work. You must disassemble all the left side wheel assemblies and pound out the studs and install new right-hand thread studs. I would wait until your doing a major brake job, that's when I would do it.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, but it's a lot of work. You must disassemble all the left side wheel assemblies and pound out the studs and install new right-hand thread studs. I would wait until your doing a major brake job, that's when I would do it.
Thanks, I'll just add a note in my truck book (book for the truck where I write-down everything to remember when am out & about).

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad news today. The place that is doing the restoration of my truck had their paint guy break his leg this weekend. That puts a 2-mo delay on pickup. So instead of May, I'm now looking at a Jul retrieval date.

With that putting the trip in mid summer, can you really melt the bottom of your shoes on the floor of the cab? I might have to put down some wood blocks on the floor for my wife to act as thermal insulators. Still excited about getting the truck, just bummed out the count down timer has rolled back up some.
auaauaauaauaauaaua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks