• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surco S5050 Roof Rack

Anna Mull

I'm considering purchasing a Surco S5050 for my 1984 M1009, but can't figure out how it attaches to the shellaua

see an example: http://i704.photobucket.com/albums/ww44/l1a1man2/m1009/IMG_2263.jpg

I've heard stories of the roof collapsing under the weight of the spare tire and gas cans (when "they" hit a big bump on a dirt road.):shock:

I thought I saw a post where a CUCV owner had an S5050.

How was the rack secured to the shell?

Is it safe to consider putting the spare tire up there, or should I only consider lighter items, or should I hit the "mission abort" button?

Please Advise

Oldsouthernboy

I, myself would not put a roof rack on a blazer. The fiderglass shell is not designed for a roof rack. If you plan to do any trail driving the weight will collape the shell. also the weight will act as a long lever from the weight and can bea factor in a possible lay over on side or a full roll over depending on the weight, speed and side slope factors. just my opion.

mistaken1

I think a roof rack would be great. I would like to have a large one with 8" high side rails.

Considering the fiberglass roof, support brackets would need to be fabricated to carry the weight down to the bed sides. If it was an internal support then there would need to be some sort of flexible water seal where the roof is penetrated so that the roof rack could be attached to the internal support.

Perhaps another option would be use an external framework attached to the sides of the truck in a manner similar to the antenna brackets.

Putting weight up top on a stock truck can't be any worse than perching the truck up on 4" or 6" blocks attached to the axles with long u-bolts. The two combined would make for an 'interesting' ride!

panama

I personally have been looking for an "extra small" roof rack to go JUST over the cab (with possible hangover to the fiberglass shell and/or windshield) It would be small but would be a little extra storage and a place to mount some lights...still searching.

wikallen

I have one on my Bronco, using gutter mounts and simulated gutter brackets. Not sure on a blazer, but the Bronco has plenty of steel sandwiched in the fiberglass and can support plenty of weight.

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I built a roof rack for my blazer. It bolts through the far outer edges of the roof directly next to the large fiberglass channels where the fiberglass is double layered. There are 6 feet that attach it to the top to evenly spread the load. My rack is 5' wide by 7' long. I have had 450 lbs up there without any problems. The roof is actually very strong at the framework. I have pitched my tent up there when camping in bear country.

killer_kricket

I built a roof rack for my blazer. It bolts through the far outer edges of the roof directly next to the large fiberglass channels where the fiberglass is double layered. There are 6 feet that attach it to the top to evenly spread the load. My rack is 5' wide by 7' long. I have had 450 lbs up there without any problems. The roof is actually very strong at the framework. I have pitched my tent up there when camping in bear country.
Sounds cool, any pictures?

I had an idea a while back to instead build a tire carrier rack on the back, more jeepish, that way I don't gain 500+ lbs of super-rollover over my head.