• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, finished for the weekend. Got all of the screws in the floor, did maybe 50 more today. Also taped up the seams around the perimeter of the floor and up the corners. Got a professional inspection this afternoon by the mobile building inspector RAYZER, was informed that I needed to countersink my screw heads more before laying the flooring. Oh well. Guess I'm not done yet. Good advice though. At least he liked my new tires.

Attachments

zout

If you have inspector RAZOR - there is no worries about anything for final product. Ray is the is the BOMB - my bumper sticker says RAY IS MY HERO - I WANT TO BE LIKE HIM

zout

Indeed I do - its written in finger paint by my grandsons but its there. Ray will never steer you wrong and look out for your best interest and use your ideas to build what you want.

You know your gonna need those wheels assembled - tires mounted - installed back on the truck come Georgia Rally time right ??
FYI - I used a product called Multi Seal and also used by the military (they have a web site with video) that is a leak preventer - it will take up to 1/4 pick axe holes and stop the leaks with less than .5 lbs pressure in less than 1/4 revolution/ Mine have held 90 solid for over a year. Awesome if you ever get that on the road leak - hole- etc.

Stop reading and get back to work on the truck - time is a wasting.:popcorn:

rustystud

Indeed I do - its written in finger paint by my grandsons but its there. Ray will never steer you wrong and look out for your best interest and use your ideas to build what you want.

You know your gonna need those wheels assembled - tires mounted - installed back on the truck come Georgia Rally time right ??
FYI - I used a product called Multi Seal and also used by the military (they have a web site with video) that is a leak preventer - it will take up to 1/4 pick axe holes and stop the leaks with less than .5 lbs pressure in less than 1/4 revolution/ Mine have held 90 solid for over a year. Awesome if you ever get that on the road leak - hole- etc.

I have also used "Multi Seal" . Great stuff. My 1 ton would loose air in the inner duals all the time. Drove me crazy, I could never find the leaks. Used the Multi Seal and no leaks ever again ! It's been over 8 years now and time to replace the tires. Hope the tire shop doesn't get upset about all the goo in the tires !

Another Ahab

I have also used "Multi Seal" . Great stuff. My 1 ton would loose air in the inner duals all the time. Drove me crazy, I could never find the leaks. Used the Multi Seal and no leaks ever again ! It's been over 8 years now and time to replace the tires. Hope the tire shop doesn't get upset about all the goo in the tires !
I think I ran across Multi-Seal in a Gempler's catalog before. That's the stuff in a can that you just spray into the tire valve right?

It sounds pretty much like a no-brainer (unless of course, like ruatystud says, you ever have to deal with the interior side of that tire):

- Can you all think of any reason that you WOULDN'T want to use that product?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I got them now, for the GA trip. May have them on in time for the local Memorial Day parade in Sanford.

zout

Not to get away on some one else's thread so scuz me.
I got it in five gallon buckets...bought the specific pump also.

The 14x20's take 18 pumps measured at 8 ounces per full pump. I spent .25 cents per Oz from my tire supplier.

It just washes out with water and non hazerdous if you have to Crack open that tire. Just give your tire guy a heads up first.

Back to the regular build station.

Another Ahab

Ok, finished for the weekend. Got all of the screws in the floor, did maybe 50 more today. Also taped up the seams around the perimeter of the floor and up the corners.
I'ver never laid much flooring (and my back is glad of it):

- But what's the reason for taping the seams and joints?

You always seem to know a lot QJ; can you get away OK without that step?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'ver never laid much flooring (and my back is glad of it):

- But what's the reason for taping the seams and joints?

You always seem to know a lot QJ; can you get away OK without that step?

I'm sure you can AA. But I wanted to cut off any drafts that could occur as well as any dust intrusion from driving. Will be using wood trim over the tape. Could have used caulking, but if there were any leaks from the windows, I couldn't easily find out if caulked. With the tape, I can remove the screwed on trim, cut the tape and look for moisture. Then retape once fixed.

Another Ahab

I'm sure you can AA. But I wanted to cut off any drafts that could occur as well as any dust intrusion from driving. Will be using wood trim over the tape. Could have used caulking, but if there were any leaks from the windows, I couldn't easily find out if caulked. With the tape, I can remove the screwed on trim, cut the tape and look for moisture. Then retape once fixed.
I get it, now.

That's great thinking QJ! You're really on the ball! [thumbzup]

rustystud

I think I ran across Multi-Seal in a Gempler's catalog before. That's the stuff in a can that you just spray into the tire valve right?

It sounds pretty much like a no-brainer (unless of course, like ruatystud says, you ever have to deal with the interior side of that tire):

- Can you all think of any reason that you WOULDN'T want to use that product?
The only thing is the cost. But for the piece of mind it brings it's worth it. Also the goo never solidifies so it also acts somewhat as a balancer for the tires. It also prevents dry rot from the inside of the tire. After using it on my tires and getting almost a decade of extra use out of them ( the tires where already 8 years old when I bought the truck) I'll always use it.

Another Ahab

Wow, that's $36 per tire!
Yes, but $36 is a relative bargain if you think of the trouble you'd go through having to fix a slow leak (think flat, on the side of the road):

- Might mean the cost of a tow.

- At minimum it will mean the inconvenience of having to stop unexpectedly (interrupting whatever "mission" you were on), changing a tire (at the least); and screwing around with the whole episode (when the original plan was to do something en"tire"ly unrelated).

In a cost-benefit analysis, $36 sounds cheap to avoid going through all that. The product is no guarantee, but it does buy a lot of peace-of-mind.

I might be wrong but it sounds a lot like a no-brainer to me at the moment.

Last edited:

zout

Sure is but a used tire at 50% tread you have no idea about and have to dismount and remount - tire alone is $150. Take that times 6 and it add's up quickly.

AHHH ADD UP digging your truck out of a ditch on wrecker costs of a flat blowout ! Hypothectical but just think of all the alternatives and then watch MULTI SEAL VIDEO's - no brainer.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Sure is but a used tire at 50% tread you have no idea about and have to dismount and remount - tire alone is $150. Take that times 6 and it add's up quickly.

AHHH ADD UP digging your truck out of a ditch on wrecker costs of a flat blowout ! Hypothectical but just think of all the alternatives and then watch MULTI SEAL VIDEO's - no brainer.
I'm thinking the Commander is completely right here, but his avatar just made me forget now what it was we are all talking about....

Last edited: