• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
NOLATAC: The work that Quadjeeper is doing on his truck is even more impressive in person! :goodjob:

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree Quadjeeper is doing a few things I was planning and giving me a couple ideas in the process, keep up the good work !

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a few things in that I ordered. An automatic transfer switch to change from grid/generator to solar/inverter. A tire pressure monitoring system so hopefully can avoid a tire fire from an unnoticed low pressure condition. And a expandable boot for the cab to box inner seal. I will have to return the boot, as it has opposite mounting beads for going on the pinch welds. Found a source for the correct one.

Attachments

turnkey

Great build and great stuff.....almost afraid to drive with all the goodies on it....Come to think of it do a couple of trips ..Youtube it and look for sponor from all the goodies you have on it ...It just might pay the fuel bill...Just a thought.

NOLATAC

Got a few things in that I ordered. An automatic transfer switch to change from grid/generator to solar/inverter. A tire pressure monitoring system so hopefully can avoid a tire fire from an unnoticed low pressure condition. And a expandable boot for the cab to box inner seal. I will have to return the boot, as it has opposite mounting beads for going on the pinch welds. Found a source for the correct one.
Could you provide a link to the proper boot? I plan to do the same when I get my 109.

Another Ahab

And a expandable boot for the cab to box inner seal. I will have to return the boot, as it has opposite mounting beads for going on the pinch welds. Found a source for the correct one.
It would seem like there ought to be accordion-folded rubber, or something like that available that might fit the bill there perfectly.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out where you would source that kind of thing. Maybe HVAC suppliers (ductwork flex-connection).

Might involve a little custom work (but the cost shouldn't be outrageous); you know, something like this:

duct.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

It would seem like there ought to be accordion-folded rubber, or something like that available that might fit the bill there perfectly.
I haven't ordered this yet, but appears to be what I'm looking for. The 10" one, part # 544 is the closest to what I need.

That's what I was thinking about, something like that 10" material. You nailed it.

What did you search to come up with the supplier!?

Accordion.jpg

Last edited:

turnkey

Takeing your work and stuff and have got the perfect camping set-up...Thanks again for all the ideas and stuff ...Here is my wifes perfect camping setup..................................Checkbook/Credit card.................Hotel...............Packed bages .cell phone...............Next to a Wal-Mart or Mcdees place....put it all together and there you go....By the way the wife loves your work on the camper and truck....Wont let me do it ...But what the heck to each his own...great build..

Another Ahab

Takeing your work and stuff and have got the perfect camping set-up...Thanks again for all the ideas and stuff ...Here is my wifes perfect camping setup..................................Checkbook/Credit card.................Hotel...............Packed bages .cell phone..
Momma has this magnet (BELOW) on her file cabinet in her home office.

She did join me wilderness canoeing when we first dated. But I recognize now, that was all part of a set-up.

Needless to say, any camping now and it's just me and some buddies. How bad is that!?

CAMPING.jpg

rustystud

Momma has this magnet (BELOW) on her file cabinet in her home office.

She did join me wilderness canoeing when we first dated. But I recognize now, that was all part of a set-up.

Needless to say, any camping now and it's just me and some buddies. How bad is that!?

View attachment 564418
That's me and my wife in a nutshell ! She won't even go camping in a tricked out RV ! I mean really !!!!

jpg

If the rubber gaskets don't work out for you, here's another approach. It would involve sewing skills, so you may need to learn them or involve a friend.

sailrite.com has all kinds of material for making sails and awnings for boats. You could take awning fabric. Use an iron to pleat it like an accordion, or just allow the loose fabric to gather. Sew awning rope into the hems so you have something substantial to clamp onto. Or use awning track around your opening to receive the awning rope. Maybe run shock cord inside at the corners, to keep the loose fabric in place when the frame is not torqued.

I would run shock cord in the corners of my passageway, and I would not pleat. I'd tuck the excess fabric in, like making a bed. After serious off roading that torqued the frame a lot, the fabric might become un-tucked. Once back on road, I'd just tuck it in again, like re-making a bed.

I would try to waterproof the outside of your foam rubber insulation. Water outside the fabric would do no harm on the inside, though mildew on the outside might happen. I'd want to avoid lots of water between the foam and the fabric becoming a block of ice in very cold weather. A rubber accordion seal also has this issue.

This would give you a watertight seal of whatever dimensions you need. Your inner interior decorator could select from a wide variety of awning fabrics.

Here are pics of the awning rope that you sew onto the hem, and the awning track you attach to the edges of your opening(s).
awningTrack.jpgawningRope.jpg
Sailrite also has the heavy duty sewing gear and materials, if anyone needs to fab their own covers.

Last edited: