• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More small stuff done this weekend. Made and installed the shower head and tub faucet reinforcements. Routed out the space for the bathroom light switch panel. Don't ever let anybody say that a router doesn't make a mess! Put up and painted the sub board for the tub walls. Temporarily installed the faucet to check for clearance. ( There isn't any ) Built and installed a volt and amp panel for the DC and AC systems. I can monitor the truck 24 volt starting batteries, the truck 12 volt battery and the coach batteries. Also can view the AC voltage and amperage being used. Have switches to turn them off at night and when they aren't needed.

Attachments

Another Ahab

More small stuff done this weekend. Made and installed the shower head and tub faucet reinforcements. Routed out the space for the bathroom light switch panel. Don't ever let anybody say that a router doesn't make a mess!
You do some real nice work, QUADJEEPER, and I'm grateful for your photo record. Thanks a million.

The first thought that comes to my mind when I see that lumber in the bathroom is humidity and moisture, and I can't remember if you already mentioned an exhaust fan for that space. Knowing me, you probably already made a post here with 4 paragraphs and a dozen photos of your exhaust fan ideas. But, anyway, I'll make a monkey of myself without fear. Have you given any thought to exhaust fans in the trailer?

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice having good AC in Florida! Hot today. Finally installed a 30 amp outlet so I don't keep melting extension cords. Test fit ( sorta ) my grey water tank, with a shoehorn it will go in. Got back to my brake conversion, new A3 wheel cylinders arrived this week. They are 1 1/2 inches in bore size, stock is 1 3/8 inches. Pulled the old master cylinder and bracket out, not a five minute job.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do some real nice work, QUADJEEPER, and I'm grateful for your photo record. Thanks a million.

The first thought that comes to my mind when I see that lumber in the bathroom is humidity and moisture, and I can't remember if you already mentioned an exhaust fan for that space. Knowing me, you probably already made a post here with 4 paragraphs and a dozen photos of your exhaust fan ideas. But, anyway, I'll make a monkey of myself without fear. Have you given any thought to exhaust fans in the trailer?[/Q

Thanks AA, glad you like. Yes, an exhaust fan is in the plans. Will use the stock 109 blower opening. Need to repair the little door first.

rustystud

Nice having good AC in Florida! Hot today. Finally installed a 30 amp outlet so I don't keep melting extension cords. Test fit ( sorta ) my grey water tank, with a shoehorn it will go in. Got back to my brake conversion, new A3 wheel cylinders arrived this week. They are 1 1/2 inches in bore size, stock is 1 3/8 inches. Pulled the old master cylinder and bracket out, not a five minute job.
Your so right about that brake bracket job ! That space can be real cramped ! I spent days getting mine all back together.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well rusty, you were right. Not much room to get it all in there, but I did. Installed the new dual circuit master cylinder and bracket as an assembly, got the brake and clutch pedals and linkage reinstalled and the toolbox/step back on. I got a bolt in every hole too! Man, that toolbox/step sure is heavy trying to line up the holes. Ugg. No plumbing yet to the master. Have the remote reservoir to install and plumb, as well as the fluid lines to the air packs. Need to rebuild the second air pack and install it. One question, where is the brake pedal return spring hooked on on the dual circuit M/C? I don't like it where I ended up with it. Stock single circuit linkage has a hole in the pivot pin.

Attachments

6x6guy

I have owned more than 16) M35 series trucks, and the only problem with the M109 I found through the years was that I owned was a problem with the transmissions - due to the extra weight of the bodies approx 5000 Lbs and another 3000 Lbs of misc goodies affixed in to and around the trucks weight- the week link was the transmissions. Replaced a couple in the of transmissions even one in Kentucky at Knob Creek one year- had a friend bring down one and changed it out.
Talked to a couple of other M109 owners and it has been a problem - but more of a specific design flaw- those transmissions were designed in the 50s and should have been updated or better replaced with a heavy duty designed one, but if your the Government its cheaper to just change it out more often.
I very much enjoyed the truck while I owned it, but was introduced to the 900 series years a go and decided that was the route I was going.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have owned more than 16) M35 series trucks, and the only problem with the M109 I found through the years was that I owned was a problem with the transmissions - due to the extra weight of the bodies approx 5000 Lbs and another 3000 Lbs of misc goodies affixed in to and around the trucks weight- the week link was the transmissions. Replaced a couple in the of transmissions even one in Kentucky at Knob Creek one year- had a friend bring down one and changed it out.
Talked to a couple of other M109 owners and it has been a problem - but more of a specific design flaw- those transmissions were designed in the 50s and should have been updated or better replaced with a heavy duty designed one, but if your the Government its cheaper to just change it out more often.
I very much enjoyed the truck while I owned it, but was introduced to the 900 series years a go and decided that was the route I was going.
Yes 6x6guy, have been worried since I got the truck about the trans. Before the trip to GA Rally this year, I'm planning on a drain and fill with synthetic 80W-90 to try to help with longevity. What has been the typical failures with the ones you have experience with?

6x6guy

Yea - its gonna happen - nice truck build - but the trans is gonna leave you stranded on the road some where- that's why after a lot of consideration and deep thought - I just couldn't put all my resources into something I had no control of
other than carrying a- back up transmission with me on the road. I looked at a couple of other options such as a bigger and stronger transmission - but due to size constraints and pricing and and a couple of other factors decided it was better to pull a mobile
shelter with all the goodies a newer and much stronger truck, other than with a truck designed over 50 years ago and have my family suffer the consinquences - I can always find a truck to pull my trailer if it came down to it, but if yours can't make it out of the area it's another story and a total different sinerio.

red

There is a post about it on the forum, I gotta dig it up (linked in my build thread as well). He installed a 5 speed if I remember right, .79 overdrive.

I'm wanting to install their RTOO9513, 14513, or 16513 in mine. 13 speed with 12:1 1st gear, and a .62 final overdrive with no big gaps between the gears.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, this weekend turned out to be nearly a total waste of time. Was supposed to have help Saturday and Sunday, got no one. Plus 4 different rainouts today. Not looking good for the GA Rally. Too much left to do. Couple more pics of the old vs. the new master cylinders and brackets. Did get a bracket made for the remote fluid reservoir and got that installed. Yes it does clear the hood. Can get my hand on top of it with it closed. Had planned on getting all six A3 wheel cylinders in today, got one done. Sucks. Pic shows size difference.

Attachments