• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survival 109 build

rustystud

Change to DOT3 brake fluid if you are using DOT5. DOT5 is more compressible and will lead to a spongy and/or low brake peddle.

http://www.advancepetro.com/differentbrakefluid.htm
Wrong ! Dot 5 is not compressible at all ! Remember your science class's, liquids by their nature are not compressible. Do you honestly think the manufacturers would use something that could compress in any brake system ? If they are frothed up with air then it can compress ( as air compresses) . That is why it is not used in anti-lock brake systems. The air would settle out within hours though.
Also who ever wrote that article is a moron ! DOT 5 not used in race cars. REALLY ! Some of the most expensive performance cars come with DOT 5. Ever heard of Lamborghini ? or Porsche ?
And the kicker, DOT 5 cannot handle heat ! Are you kidding me ! What do you think is the major draw of Silicone ? The ability to handle HEAT ! This kind of crap really makes me angry !!! People who write misleading or outright lies in articles should be taken out side and shot !:rant:

Last edited:

red

Wrong ! Dot 5 is not compressible at all ! Remember your science class's, liquids by their nature are not compressible. Do you honestly think the manufacturers would use something that could compress in any brake system ? If they are frothed up with air then it can compress ( as air compresses) . That is why it is not used in anti-lock brake systems. The air would settle out within hours though.
Also who ever wrote that article is a moron ! DOT 5 not used in race cars. REALLY ! Some of the most expensive performance cars come with DOT 5. Ever heard of Lamborghini ? or Porsche ?
And the kicker, DOT 5 cannot handle heat ! Are you kidding me ! What do you think is the major draw of Silicone ? The ability to handle HEAT ! This kind of crap really makes me angry !!! People who write misleading or outright lies in articles should be taken out side and shot !:rant:
Finding multiple articles from manufacturers stating that the compression of DOT 5 is a problem, thus 5.1 was designed.

rustystud

Finding multiple articles from manufacturers stating that the compression of DOT 5 is a problem, thus 5.1 was designed.
Air entrainment was the problem not the fluid. In a sealed system there is no problems.
DOT 5.1 was made so it could be used in anti-lock brake systems.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bit of catching up to do here. Had a discussion Friday evening about the brake situation. Best we came up with was it was an adjustment issue. So yesterday I completely went through and readjusted the brakes. Tada, no change. At least in pedal travel. Have not driven it yet. May bleed it again too. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I kinda get the lower pedal with the larger wheel cylinders, but would expect the second airpack to be more than sufficient to make up for that. And it seems softer too. Plus I feel the brake effectiveness is not what it should be. I installed some sunvisors from a Jeep CJ, figured they might be nice heading into an evening sun. Needed to cover up my dinette table hinge bracket so I made a window sill for the front window. Good place for the toothpicks. Finished up the paneling around the water tank and the kitchen sink counter. Also installed a rough door for the under sink cabinet. Put in a small shelf too. Running out of time, so everything is rough and untrimmed for now.

Attachments

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also picked up some shutters for over the range as I'm not too keen on having curtains that close to a burner. Gives me privacy as well as ventilation and are versatile. Paint a bit rough, oh well. Put in an assist bar in the tub/shower since I'm used to a tub door to lean on. Also put up the shower head today. Got my salad bowl bathroom sink fully plumbed in so it is functional now. Plan on a small enclosed cabinet under it eventually. Ran the pipes outside for the tankless water heater, will be installing that soon. Cleaned up a bit, starting to look livable.

Attachments

peashooter

Regarding the brakes... If I understand airpaks correctly then they only are adding the boost. Meaning I believe your master cylinder is doing all the work of moving the majority of fluid volume and applying the brakes/pushing the brake pads out against the drum UNTIL they reach a certain pressure and the the air pack kicks in to amp up the pressure but probably not pushing too much fluid volume.
I've never driven a single circuit deuce, but I've often wondered if their master cylinder pedal has more leverage or something. People talk about being able to lock up the brakes and I can't ever imagine that with my truck (granted its got a 109 box on back). I do know that the dual circuit trucks tend to have a higher pedal though so you may want to try pulling a vacuum on your reservoir to get any trapped air out of the remote lines or top of the m/c.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
QJ I've been looking at something similar but at 2gpm , curious as to the temp difference. Looking forward to seeing how that works for you(before I try it)

eodcoduto

Bit of catching up to do here. Had a discussion Friday evening about the brake situation. Best we came up with was it was an adjustment issue. So yesterday I completely went through and readjusted the brakes. Tada, no change. At least in pedal travel. Have not driven it yet. May bleed it again too. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I kinda get the lower pedal with the larger wheel cylinders, but would expect the second airpack to be more than sufficient to make up for that. And it seems softer too. Plus I feel the brake effectiveness is not what it should be. I installed some sunvisors from a Jeep CJ, figured they might be nice heading into an evening sun. Needed to cover up my dinette table hinge bracket so I made a window sill for the front window. Good place for the toothpicks. Finished up the paneling around the water tank and the kitchen sink counter. Also installed a rough door for the under sink cabinet. Put in a small shelf too. Running out of time, so everything is rough and untrimmed for now.
Something to consider when going to bigger wheel cylinders is that the master cylinder and wheel cylinder bore size's need to match. If one or the other is larger you will never get the correct pedal feel or stopping power. There is a good article in The Horse Backstreet Choppers on this in regards to building a custom motorcycle brake set up. My 2 cents!

rustystud

Something to consider when going to bigger wheel cylinders is that the master cylinder and wheel cylinder bore size's need to match. If one or the other is larger you will never get the correct pedal feel or stopping power. There is a good article in The Horse Backstreet Choppers on this in regards to building a custom motorcycle brake set up. My 2 cents!
It's not the bore size but the volume size that is of concern here. Quadjeeper, I cannot remember but did you install the 1.5" bore wheel cylinders on ALL the wheels ? or just the fronts ? Also are you running the old style air-pacs or the new style ? If you are running the new style and went with 1.5" bore wheel cylinders on all the wheels then you could be running out of fluid on the rear axles. This would definitely cause a lower pedal.

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not the bore size but the volume size that is of concern here. Quadjeeper, I cannot remember but did you install the 1.5" bore wheel cylinders on ALL the wheels ? or just the fronts ? Also are you running the old style air-pacs or the new style ? If you are running the new style and went with 1.5" bore wheel cylinders on all the wheels then you could be running out of fluid on the rear axles. This would definitely cause a lower pedal.
Quick update on the brakes. Just returned from the GA Rally, approx. 900 miles. Brakes MUCH better after a few hundred miles. Pedal firm, and good stopping power. I guess shoes needed to be broken in. Were fairly new. Before I left, adjusted the pedal height to max, now further from the floor at full apply. Need to open a bleeder to see if the master or the pedal bottoms first. RS, I used the A3 wheel cylinders on all six. New style air packs.

rustystud

Quick update on the brakes. Just returned from the GA Rally, approx. 900 miles. Brakes MUCH better after a few hundred miles. Pedal firm, and good stopping power. I guess shoes needed to be broken in. Were fairly new. Before I left, adjusted the pedal height to max, now further from the floor at full apply. Need to open a bleeder to see if the master or the pedal bottoms first. RS, I used the A3 wheel cylinders on all six. New style air packs.
That's good to hear ! I was a little concerned about the fluid volume needed for the rear brakes using a new style air-pac, but it appears everything is OK ! That is good to know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks