• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping a 6.5 HMMWV into the m1008

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Groundhop, starting outside the truck. Wish I could get up there, always collecting 6.2 parts.

Ryan77, it's not quite that easy. The heads are unique to this engine. The bolts holding the intake are at quite a different angle. In order to use a regular N/A or turbo intake will require a head change.

EOD, I would look into some race car fab places. Once you get the engine in maybe they can make a cover for the inside that attaches with dzus fasteners so you can remove it for service.

EODTECH90

Groundhop, starting outside the truck. Wish I could get up there, always collecting 6.2 parts.

Ryan77, it's not quite that easy. The heads are unique to this engine. The bolts holding the intake are at quite a different angle. In order to use a regular N/A or turbo intake will require a head change.

EOD, I would look into some race car fab places. Once you get the engine in maybe they can make a cover for the inside that attaches with dzus fasteners so you can remove it for service.
rcovery you are amazing , i didnt think of the race car thing, im gonna have to find one, groundhop, that makes sense it is after all already secured in there makes sense thank got for the 10 ton crane i can use otherwise this wouldnt be possible, if you can come out here i could meet you halfway, i need someone with more cucv knowlage than i on site

ranchhopper

When we put one in the truck I mentioned we used the same type of expanding nut used in doors to hold mirrors on to bolt the dog house in. We made a wire and tac cloth form and used fiberglass mesh and resin to build the dog house its self then installed a heat shield blanket on the backside it worked well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No worries on parts. I actually have friends from the site real close and he would bring stuff to the GA Rally for me if I asked. One more thing, the way the 6.5 bolts in the can, the starter won't clear. You will have to bridge out that right rear mount and chop it away a bit. Not a big deal but it will have to be done. Trust me on this, I'm no CUCV expert but we do have plenty on this site. Any and all problems can be remedied here except we can't fix stupid. LOL

Chief_919

Go to the bone yard just get the turbo, etc it will be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper! use your good block!! Just my 2 cents ive done the swap your talking about!!!
To swap a side mount turbo onto a trcuk with a center mount requires you ue NA or side mounts heads as well. The heads on the center mount were different.

EODTECH90

Ok, well I'm just gonna cut the firewall like dman and gonna roll with that, I'll have to mess with the centermount I've got and ground hop it in the can, I'll try to do that this week I'm also gonna take the block I've stripped for parts and scrap that out, after I get the ip and vac pump, starter and oil filter mount off it, those are good no sense in scrapping them, I'll at least remove that stuff tomorrow, and if I have enough time I'll scrap the block

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks