• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Swapping a 6.5 HMMWV into the m1008

chevyCUCV

I'd be all over that radiator, offering 150 or so
That cooling thing seems like a great idea. Im sure you could fab up a kit for much cheaper. Should help with the rear cylinder cooling, Those cylinders are the first to overheat i believe.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you changed the water pump as the picture showed the engine was a serpentine setup. The serpentine waterpump rotates backwards from the v-belt system.

The passenger side alternator part number is listed in the CUCV Wiki, along with the NAPA rebuild unit.

And remember, Per the Site Rules, do not list any Ebay or Craigslist ads unless it is your own.

Last edited:

EODTECH90

:-Dsorry about the ad, i did do the water pump swap and as it turns out the timing cover swap as it turns out, i just forgot to take the stupid rod out of the mech fuel pump when i bought the block kit and as you guys are starving for pics i have taken fresh ones:jumpin:

EODTECH90

Change 1
the 6.5 swap with the TH400 wil be temporary
It will have all the components in my sig plus a NV4500, 5.9 Cumins with a P-pump and a GV over/underdrive
afterwards i will selkl the 6.5 with everything on it minus the alternatorsand a couple other things
if you want to do the 5.9 swap go here they have a BOLT ON KIT
Auto World

southdave

I am doing the same swap in my 1028, I statred from the other end Nv4500 swap, figured that was hard part.. it mated to a 6.2 at the moment. I am really enjoying this set up other than clutch pedal issues.. nice to buzz down the road @ 70 without engine sreaming ect.

EODTECH90

my 1028 i bought with a seized motor so...
but i found a guy thatll straight trade me my 6.5 for a 5.9 fully dressed thats apart needing rebuildingwith all the parts to rebuild it!!! what do you guys think should i keep my np205 or buy an iron case one? anybody have pics of the clutch fab?

acesneights1

A few things.
Would a Body lift help the firewall issue ? Also I believe the block is different on a centermount turbo. Something to do with the oil return.
As far as the cooling crossover...Heath diesel made a kit similar to that years ago for 6.5TD. it has been proven by Bill that the flow is uneven and can cause cracking but his kit had more than a crossover ,line. it had like a chamber. It is unnessicary on 6.5TDs because GM came out with the HO WP used on the 99+ 6.5TD that flows 130 GPH and corrected the uneven flow as the older waterpumps as well as the 6.2s only flowed somewhere around 45gph. The best thing would be a serp belt setup WITH the CCW WP but i have not firgured out a way to do that and keep the dual alts. I serioulsy have considered changing my to 12v and using a 250amp Powerline Alternator so I could run the serp belt setup and CCW 130gph WP.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks