• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

taboo to talk

jeffy777

For arguments sake, lets say that all the lawyers on this site are right and that there is a way to overcome the stamp. All well and good but do you think for a second that DLA can't backtrack and say, "No more soup for you, and you, and you, and you"?
Sure... they could say that about any and all Military Vehicles and therefore drop your CUCV in that bucket. Life is cruel and unfair at times. What is the point. Live in fear?
For whatever reason, an agreement has been made to get these trucks released. If folks go poking the bear, he might wake up. Of course, I know what the outcome would be from most folks; screw all the folks who would like to own one in the future, as long as mine gets titled. That is the normal mindset of folks today.
I think personally any state that blocks any wheeled military vehicle for the just the reason that it was in the military is wrong. And we should help each other stop that states behavior. But I think we can do that legally. And understand that it may take some time.
I don't think DLA would have and problem picking up the blower and chatting with NHSTA and getting guidance written excluding HMMWV operation on any highway except for Gov't services. I think if all the armchair lawyers want to "find a way" to use their HMMWV on the road, do it! I know this next sentence might cause a ruffle but look at the path of machine guns.
IMHO: I am in agreement with you as long as it is legal. And I know quite a few ways to legally get title and tags and so do many others here on this board. Just if you get tags and title don't get the rest of us in trouble being stupid. Honor your MV truck and don't drive over the neighbors cat, dog or lawn with your HMMWV or other MV (There are Subaru s for that). IMHO! :)

Behr

Well no matter what at the end of the day it looks like Michigan will decide this. If we win against Michigan it sets the bar and makes it harder for other states to deny especially in court. Now if Michigan wins, we'll there's two sides of the coin. Other states will be emboldened to follow suit. I highly doubt any fed agency will get involved as this appears to be a state issue. At the end of the day, we should all just move to the same state where they don't care and hang out and drink beer!:grin:

MaverickH1

Well no matter what at the end of the day it looks like Michigan will decide this. If we win against Michigan it sets the bar and makes it harder for other states to deny especially in court. Now if Michigan wins, we'll there's two sides of the coin. Other states will be emboldened to follow suit. I highly doubt any fed agency will get involved as this appears to be a state issue. At the end of the day, we should all just move to the same state where they don't care and hang out and drink beer!:grin:
I hope someone in Michigan argues the M1123 side, at least. Michigan's entire case is made based on the number of things that are agreed to and signed stating "For Off Road Use Only". I purposefully went the M1123 route because that was NEVER the case for the entire life of the vehicle.

Action

Someone had mentioned impact bumpers. How many of you don't even have a rear bumper? That little thing between the frame rails doesn't count.

86m1028

Someone had mentioned impact bumpers. How many of you don't even have a rear bumper? That little thing between the frame rails doesn't count.
Why are impact bumpers keep being brought up ???
You can go down & buy a new truck without a rear bumper just like you could in the 80's.

ke5eua

Why are impact bumpers keep being brought up ???
You can go down & buy a new truck without a rear bumper just like you could in the 80's.
You buy a cab & chassis and it doesn't come with a rear bumper.

Know a lot of hotshot guys who would buy a cab & chassis, put a 5th wheel hitch and mud flaps and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmcm

In so many ways it is great to be a Canadian...my HMMWV took 20 min to register and insure...just like my 931, M813 and M211's...I feel for you guys

ari

when i registered mine they took abt 10-15 mins. walked in with all my papers in order walked out with tags. they seemed more concerned abt the chain of ownership than anything else.

ryanruck

Had several chats with individuals from motor services in FL DHSMV and came to the realization that they are clueless on the subject and will tell you something even without knowing anything about what they are talking about. The first person told me that the frames are different between the H1 and the M998. They said they measured them and the M998 was thinner and that was why they could not be registered. The most recent said that I could go the "Former Military Vehicle" route, but would have to tow it everywhere. That didn't make sense so I asked why I would need plates if it was going to sit on a trailer, with plates? I was then told that I shouldn't have bought it and if I got the plates that I would need it to be inspected first and that it would have to have all the original markings. I asked how that would be possible since some of the markings were covered as part of the demil process. Of course I was then answered with "those are the rules, if you don't follow them, we are not giving you the plates.

I then made the mistake of asking about going the "Custom Vehicle" route. That was met with an "absolutely not, you knew your were buying an off road vehicle" to which I responded "yes I am fully aware of what I bought. Because the seller has nothing to do with the State of Florida, I am asking you what I would need to do to get this vehicle in compliance with State law". Her response was "well you could take the body off the frame and put it on an f-150 frame or any other frame for that matter and I would be happy to register you".

Basically that is what I am up against. We should be terrified that someone who is making the decisions thinks slapping a body on just any frame will somehow be safer than what was constructed.
Bingo! Sounds exactly like my experience with the Ohio BMV. And they will do so with the utmost confidence in what they are saying.

You should have asked them if you could swap it onto "the thicker" H1 frame and then videoed their heads exploding. :mrgreen:

With my experience, none of the young and/or new BMV workers at my 2 local title offices had a clue about the SF97, let alone the 3803 form I had to use to change the title, resulting in multiple calls to BMV HQ in Columbus. I was even told at first that the SF97 was not accepted since it was just a bill of sale. I had to tell them to read it more closely, that it was essentially a federal title (even had a buddy buying a 5 ton with non-branded SF97 get told the same thing). Then when they relented and gave me my Ohio off road title, I literally got every excuse under the sun to not get a standard title: Military vehicles can't be driven on the road (despite someone near me having a plate on his FV101 Scorpion, the 3803 form was only for off road motorcycles (despite having a section spelling out passenger vehicle requirements, it being the same form used to change a bus or pickup into a camper, and my Ohio off road title actually listing my truck as an off road motorcycle), my form was invalid because it was a different revision number from the one in their bound book of forms (even though they were identical in content, I had downloaded mine from online), the truck didn't conform to FMVSS or EPA regs (despite that not being listed as a requirement on the 3803 and the supervisor unable to tell me what part of the ORC stated that), that I would have to swap in an unspecified make/model of V8 diesel and 6 speed transmission to conform to emissions :)???:), and a nameless mid-level supervisor in Columbus giving out bad information throughout the whole ordeal (they refused to give me this person's contact information so I could speak directly to them and send them documentation supporting my position).

In the end I had to start hunting around locally to find someone within the BMV that knew how to handle the paperwork correctly. We've got 88 counties in Ohio and a resident can register a vehicle in any of them! I was so unbelievably blessed that I literally found my needle I needed in a stack of needles on my first stop at the metro Cincinnati title office. It was a gentleman who had been with the BMV for many years and was so knowledgeable on Ohio title laws and processes that he has been called as an expert witness in court cases. He was, in fact, the guy that had come up with my revision of the 3803 form that included the equipment requirements and relevant sections of the ORC referenced with them, different from the one in the BMV's official bound book of forms that didn't.

Handed him my 3803 and he says, "So we're going to be changing an off road vehicle into a pickup?" I said, "Yep!" He said, "Okay! $17 for this is definitely cheaper than the $65 inspection fee." Only hitch that came up was the odometer reading since in Ohio mileage isn't required to be tracked on an off road vehicle and it is listed as "exempt" so, I had to get an odometer discrepancy branding added to my regular title even though I gave the accurate mileage at the time. Was in and out in 15 minutes. Spent most of that time talking about his experience with the 3803 form and the building they're in (it's an old bank building with huge vault). Walked out with this and right across the hall to the registrar to get my plates:

IMG_2553a.jpg

The same gentleman also helped another SS member local to me get his truck plated. There are at least 4 other owners I personally know of in Ohio with 5 plated trucks. Probably quite a few more than that that I don't know. :mrgreen:

What irks me though is the mid-level supervisor in Columbus that is giving out bad information. If I hadn't had success with the guy that helped me or anywhere else locally, I would have been taking this up with my local representative. Who knows, we may still need to in the future if there are people at BMV HQ still giving out incorrect information.

In so many ways it is great to be a Canadian...my HMMWV took 20 min to register and insure...just like my 931, M813 and M211's...I feel for you guys
And you can legally buy cheap Chinese ammo and firearms. And you can legally buy Class 1 IR lasers like the PEQ-15 direct. And you can still buy new Scepter plastic fuel cans.

Hmm... Makes me start wondering if I need to relocate... :razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks