• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tailgate Parts

01GRANDER

The Hmmwv I bought did not come with a tailgate or any of the hardware that is needed. Is there a parts list that I need? I have seen a diagram but I can’t tell certain parts and what they do. I have found a tailgate online for only $200 but I would also need everything else.

Thanks,
StevenA5769402-F1CA-4F30-B60C-32121B2EDFB6.png

DREDnot

Yes. mine was stripped clean as well. My guess is because it had the big armored 2 man cargo MAK armor slab sides on it.

DSCN2511.JPG

assuming your tailgate came with the hinges like mine did

You need...
left and right chain assemblies (Item 7)
left and right angle brackets (Item 3)
Two angle brackets (Item 5)
Two spacer plates (Item 26)
related bolts washers and locknuts

01GRANDER

Yes. mine was stripped clean as well. My guess is because it had the big armored 2 man cargo MAK armor slab sides on it.

View attachment 803375

You need...
Thanks, I’ll start accumulating those parts, hopefully I can find them somewhat cheaply on eBay.

01GRANDER

View attachment 803375

You need...
Do you have any part numbers from when you got them? I am looking and some items are hard to tell the exact part.

DREDnot

I
Do you have any part numbers from when you got them? I am looking and some items are hard to tell the exact part.

Have you downloaded the Technical Manuals yet?
Get TM 9-2320-280-24P1
Thats the first parts manual. Find illustration 266. Tailgate. The following pages 266-1, 266-2, 266-3 have the part numbers. Use those part numbers to search ebay and the like. I ended up finding most of what I needed and the best prices from Kascar. Save yourself some time and just go to their website.

00O0O_9h7g2Bea1AQ_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start with plywood painted with tranny fluid and any hinges that fit. Hold closed with simple sliding bolts or carabiners.

Then purchase what you need over time once you make a simple but functional tailgate.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the spacer that goes under the lower hinge? That’s the only part I’m lacking now.
It's amazing to me how people will spend time and money to make a spacer that you can cut out of junk plastic, a rubber inner tube, Aluminum, or make with washers.

These are great vehicles, but they are not divine objects that require exact and precision repair like the "Dead Sea Scrolls".

Just sayin'.

Best,

T

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's amazing to me how people will spend time and money to make a spacer that you can cut out of junk plastic, a rubber inner tube, Aluminum, or make with washers.

These are great vehicles, but they are not divine objects that require exact and precision repair like the "Dead Sea Scrolls".

Just sayin'.

Best,

T
"Doc, we are out of the FDA titanium screws you need to repair this fracture" "WTF quick just run down to ACE and find something that will work"

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And some people actually want there truck to be restored with all OEM parts....
Steve, there is no doubt that your work is awesome and your work ethic is top notch.

Steve/RWH, I really respect you and appreciate the help you have given me when I needed it! You do awesome stuff and give great advice! It's just that I view my rig as a vehicle designed by a committee and built by the lowest bidder. I don't have Uncle Sam's deep pockets so when I have a chance to improve or restore something better or cheaper, I consider that route.

My vehicle ain't no trailer queen meant for a magazine cover, and it is no longer meant to save servicemen's lives in combat. It's just my humble rig living out her retirement.

I just can't see people spending gobs of money on stuff that should not cost the ridiculous prices that we see on these HMMWV's.

For example, an EESS is just a fancy glow plug actuator, so $1000 seems out of bounds.

Same with little shims and such, but that is my humble opinion and I know you are firmly an OE guy. I respect your position too.

NDT, my point is that these vehicles are not alive and don't need the $100 dollar titanium screws when Home Despot or Ace is them Place alloy screws will be just fine.

My vehicle spins like a top and drives really well. That did not stop me from placing Centrimatics, which ARE NOT OEM.

I posted a thread about how to upgrade windshield wipers to use civilian Ansco units so as to save time and $.

I posted about a cost friendly tachometer mount that doesn't cost $300.

Soon I will post how I (with CAMO help) bypassed my PCB for $200, plus time spent.

If guys wanna spend their money on shims and gaskets they can make, fine... It's their money and their vehicles. But there are other reasonable and cost friendly alternatives that will allow saved dollars to go into other areas where the moneys are better spent.

I love this hobby, but I personally would rather spend the saved time and $ on taking my kids for a drive on a trail in my rig.

Last edited:

DREDnot

I work in a fab shop. Im all about making my own stuff...when its worth it.

Big dollar...hard to find...if I can make it , I will.

But that shim aint worth it. It was about $6 shipped. Its aluminum and CARC'd so no worries about galvanic corrosion.
Id probably spend $20 or more chasing down just the material. AND they had all the correct ALUMINUM bracketry for the tail gate and other stuff I needed for my X doors. Time AND money saved.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks