• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tall Guy looking for options

thedahmer

Newbie here in Illinois, Looking to get an M35 Bobbed, so, first thought, was to go and look at one- and would like to thank SS member Russ / rwbrown72, for his time to show me his m35a2, which i must say is NICE~ He is located a little over an hour from the house, and let me go for a ride in it. So, after sitting it, i have realized that these M35's are made for small people, i am 6'4 and will go 320. So my question is that is there more room in a m35a3, more room as in A. not having to shift~ and B.with the automatic as opposed to the stick. my legs are a little long to raise up to push in the clutch and still be comfortable, dont get wrong, if i was enlisted and had to drive i could, i am looking for something that has comfort as well as style. So i guess after all the hub-ub, is it easier for us big guys to drive an m35a3 as opposed to the m35a2. I love the look and the overall feel of the truck, just need some more room. any thoughts?:?:

AceHigh

The A3 has two plusses. First the seat can be dialed down to say 140 pound driver, then you would be a little lower but it is fine.

Second it has Air O Matic steering and the steering wheel is 2 inches smaller in diameter, so there you have a little more tummy room. Bottom line, though, is both trucks are pretty tight!

scootertrs

I think a lot has to do with ... where you are taller... if you have long legs, you are in trouble... I actually took my pedals off the deuce and the 818 and added extra pedal notches in both the brake and clutch pedal and now I can shift without opening the door:smile:. Interestingly enough, the cab in the 5 ton seems to be "crampier" than the deuce fire truck. Check the pedals, they are adjustable up to a point (look under the truck where they attach to the bracket) and if not low enough, you can machine a couple of notches... do not go too far or the clutch will not disengage.
Good luck.

Last edited:

KsM715

Could always get a fabricator to extend your cab a little. Look at some of the fab work done on the quad cab Deuces and 5 tons.

Thats what I was thinking. If your going to mod it into a bobber then the money you save by buying an a2 vs an a3 should be more than enough to make up for the cost of stretching the cab.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm tall with long legs. I could ues a little more room but I get by. The higher the seat, the better for me. That way I don't hit myself in the chest with my knees when I push the pedals. I'm very thin for my height so I don't have a problem with the steering wheel but I can see where people with big bellies would.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few things you can do that haven't been mentioned. Seat back, slice it in half. It just doesn't need to be that thick. The extra 2" are nice. The taller seat was mentioned but that puts you staring at the wiper air motor. These can be flipped upside down for better visibilty. I've also heard of folks chopping the seat back clean off anf bolting a cushion to the back of the cab . As mentioned, pedals are adjustable.

Scooter, pedal come out in different locations of the floor between the deuce and 5 tonner.

scootertrs

Recovry4x4 sez... Scooter, pedal come out in different locations of the floor between the deuce and 5 tonner. ...I sez ... yah... I know... maybe that is why cab in 5 tonner is so much tighter... but I lowered the pedal on both

menofiron stated...
We streched my dads cab 11 inches, and it was a simple job. It took us about 3 days, and we are not body men by any means. We haven't finished the hard top yet, but the bottum went quickly. By the way I can drive it easily and I'm 6'8" about 400 lbs with long legs

Gotta Love that! I thought beyond my metal bending/welding skills-now Ihave to worry about room behind cab of Fire Deuce and relocate 818 goodies and spare behind cab - I like/... Now to QUIET this mother down and put a/c in it. Thanks

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm 6'8, but no wieght. Flipped the wiper motors and installed the older style box seats in both trucks. At first I modified a spring seat to move the back of the seat rearward. But box seats slid all the way back without mods, and seem to fit better.

4x4e350

We streched my dads cab 11 inches, and it was a simple job. It took us about 3 days, and we are not body men by any means. We haven't finished the hard top yet, but the bottum went quickly. By the way I can drive it easily and I'm 6'8" about 400 lbs with long legs.
That looks great. More pics?:beer:

6'8" 400 pounds???? :shock: NFL or WWE?
Neither. Tall genetics and no will power around food.

Here are some more pics of the build. I'll have to take a couple of it now with the skin on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wipers

The taller seat was mentioned but that puts you staring at the wiper air motor. These can be flipped upside down for better visibilty.
Our 109 (the "She Beast") had the driver's wiper motor flipped over. The first time we ran into rain it didn't work, the pass one did. So I did a quick, in the rain, change over . . . the pass motor, now on the driver's side, didn't work:roll: After playing around a bit it seems that it worked fine if the windshield was open (not the best in the rain). If we closed it put pressure on the motor and prevented it from moving. At the time I thought it was just on wrong :doh:

thedahmer

So does anyone have a bobbed m35a3? i would like to see some pics of someone sitting in it to try to judge the "roominess" of it- or is there anyone around Southern Illinois or the heartland that has one that i can sit in??

scootertrs

The way I look at it is... if you don't have to use a clutch... + points... if your steering wheel is smaller... ++ points... My biggest biggest problem is using the clutch... where my left leg gets into a bind with the window winder or the door... I took care of my needs with shifting the pedals down by a couple of notches... but I suspect that if you have an auto tranny... you are ahead of the game. Also the air assist and the smaller steering wheel of the A3 makes it more attractive

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks