• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tall Guy looking for options

Josh

6'2" 350 here. I only have a tiny bit of belly rub, and I dont have an issue with the clutch. I normally only use the clutch when m taking off from a dead stop.

bigmech

All gut no butt here. I have always had a hard time with the seat and steering too. I have a A1 and a A3 the A3 is by far the easier to drive on a trip. The A1 though can be changed with power steering ( smaller steering wheel) I also trimmed the cab lip around the top od the seat, then moved the seat back. There is more than enough room between the cab and box to make more support that was lost when removing the lip. The seat trimming idea works well with this modification. If you ajust the pedals you should be good with all the adjustments done. Good luck. My knees are toast so I had to buy the A3, but I like the sound and feel of the A1 better, and when the pump turned up it runs nice too. The A3 wasn't cheap. Even if you do all the modifications and it still doesn't agree with you body the truck is worth more to another tank of a guy than a regular one so your efforts would increase the value and help you swallow the A3 pill. ( lost 60 pounds once by eating anything I wanted , just one thing it had to have no fat content. After about 2 weeks the taste wasn't too bad)

Jimma

Possible ideas. Use box seat, smaller steering wheel, gastric bypass, get a M35A3 with automatic instead of stick so there is no clutch or do like Cotton Hill on the TV show "King of the Hill" and get your shins blown off and reduce yourself by about a foot.:jumpin:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
6'8" 280.
I did an 11" stretch on a 5 ton cab for a bob, used hemtt seats.
Those were a help, but not worth the money and labor.
Instead the best was a smaller steering wheel,.
cut the splined center out of the deuce and 5 ton wheels, pressed it into a piece of thick wall tubing, welded the seam, then drilled 3 holes to match autozones cheapest aftermarket wheel.

This gives the room you need for your legs to pass between the door and the wheel, to operate the clutch. to limit pedal travel I just tightened a hose clam to the shaft below the foam rubber boot that seals out the cold.

5 ton does have power steering, so for a deuce I would suggest the air assist steering.

rwbrown72

I feel like I'm in the land of giants! All you 6'8" guys! I'm 5'12" tall and 285! I fit real nice in there. I'm not fat, I'm big boned!!!

RB

P.S. Plus, I've never eaten possum. I hear it is useful in losing weight!

m35a22ton

We streched my dads cab 11 inches, and it was a simple job. It took us about 3 days, and we are not body men by any means. We haven't finished the hard top yet, but the bottum went quickly. By the way I can drive it easily and I'm 6'8" about 400 lbs with long legs.

Do you have pictures of it completed

scootertrs

After I sold my 925 w/winch (I do love my deuce fire truck)... a buddy kept asking, then hard times came around... so I gave her up... She was a cherry 925, and I loved the space available in the cab. No problem shifting w door closed...;) I know its an auto... still no problem shifting from park into drive... real power steering... no air-o-matic... BTW, I have a setup for the air-o-matic for my deuce that I never installed... if my memory does not fail me, it is still in the box... New. But I know I will never put it into my fire truck. Something about parking or steering a deuce without power (specially with 500 gallons of water) steering making you feel like a REAL Man... or some other bs reason...

I actually considered bobbing the 925, but she was so nice that I could not in good conscience do so. I believe that such a mod would be the answer to so many prayers. I envy you sir. I wish I was young enough to drag myself under and out of my deuce like I used to. Either way, good luck!!!

BTW been out of pocket for a bit... gotta love what they have done with this website. Kudos

Lothar

I have a M35A3 bobbed, will get you some pics when I get home early next week. Been considering polishing her up and selling/trading it for a M1078.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Old thread but...I raised my roof ~6" when I had my cab redone to strengthen the roof. Kinda wanted to go higher, but I want to suspend things from the ceiling and still reach buttons, etc without stretching. I'm only 5' 10", maybe 5' 9" (people shrink with age) now, and it's easier to move around inside with more headroom.

My thread is here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/first-step-cab-rebuild.186857/#post-2206253

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks