• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TAN vs GREEN paint...

linx310

I am trying to deiced what color I should paint my M1009 when I get it from govliq. (On day 75 since it was sent to BC)

I am still torn between the 3 color camo, the green, or the tan.

I am heavily leaning towards a desert storm paint job like the one pictured below (I think that one belongs to a Lonestar MVPA member).

I live in South Texas...do you think the truck would be less hot with the tan paint scheme instead of the green or camo?

Attachments

Barrman

That 1009, a 3 color 1009 and a green 1009 all were at the LSMVPA meeting last Wednesday. We all had wet shirts when we got out. There might be a slight difference while parked or sitting in traffic, but when it is 90 plus degrees outside and high humidity. Any non air conditioned vehicle is going to be hot.

Now, if you are adding a/c and plan to leave the windows up all the time. Never crack a window when parked. Then the lighter color might actually make a difference.

I wouldn't base color choice on temperature. I would go with what you like best and body condition. Tan doesn't hide dents all that good. Green and 3 color don't show even big dents until you are almost touching them. How straight is your truck?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tan should be a bit cooler, but, as BARRMAN says, the difference will be minimal. I recommend tan just because there are fewer tan trucks out there.

wehring

color

I have bobbers in green and in tan here in South TX. The tan is cooler to the touch than the green in the summer heat. Not really much difference inside... a pizza oven is a pizza oven no matter what color it is.

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

Nico

Also that is a super sharp looking rig Nico!!!
What all have you done to her?
thx!
the main things i`ve done are the bds 3" lift,
the 16.5 steel rims with the 36`s tires
and the federal signal beacon`s.
the stuff u don`t see is:
a steeringbox brace kit,
bigger double joint driveline axle,
transmission oil cooler,
cherry bomb vortex mufflers....
when i got it in 1999 it looked like this:

Attachments

Rich Johnson

I got my truck and it was tan from Desert storm with a semi V allied symbol on the door. I repainted it real 686 CARC tan.
The truck shows dirt real easy. Much easier than the 383 cammo HMMWVs I work with in the guard.
Another thing, dirty hand prints dont come off the paint. If somebody spills oil or gets a greasy hand print on the truck, it doenst wash off. Ive only had it painted about 3 weeks and Im not happy that I cant get it to wash clean allready. Im contsantly on my friends to not touch the body with dirty hands.
I close my doors by the handles rather than just grabbing it and slamming it. I try to get my friends to do the same.
I am finding that the tan may have been a bad choice, though I like it since I wanted a desert truck.

Attachments

Cucvnut

you could clean it the best you can and put some flat clear coat on it to keep it from getting dirty. or do like i do jsut paint over the cleaned dirty area with more paint :)

67_C-30

I'm a fan green myself, but I really like this tan/camo pattern. This truck was bought like this from GL, so I don't know if there were a lot painted this way, or if somebody was goofing around, but I really like it. I have considered it just because its different.

Attachments

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I prefer the camo look myself. Camo gets a lot of reactions from people...a lot of thumbs up or nods, compliments on my sweet hunting rig though I don't hunt. The majority of the time it's all good. Occasionally you do get a good god what is that thing? When it looks all faded it's time for a wash.

Attachments

2deuce

I prefer the 3 color. I suppose it depends where you live, if you want to blend in. Green looks good. Tan is good if your looking for terrorists, if they run when they see tan, thats a good enough reason...:evil:

Barrman

Here is a safety reminder. If you have a camo or green truck. Run with your lights on. People really have a hard time seing you in the day light.

2deuce

Gray on a cloudy or rainy day can be harder yet for me. Red is the most visible, but is the color with the highest incidence of accidents I have heard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks