• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

Wind632000

lots of work

Hello,
I have a 813 and 815. Againist what many say as these trucks being un breakable they do break. I dont use them for play but so snow plow and sanding. Tight turning on asphalt will wear the CV joints very fast on the stearling axels. Plus the cabs are prone to rust. My 813 had some unseen cancer under the wheel wells and below the drivers floor board.
The 815 is a complete different machine. Tatra made some big improvements on this. Good luck and Im sure you will have fun once you get her finished.

tatra813

I was very lucky to get 2 totally rust free trucks.

I did have to change out one of my cv axles, I couldnt find cv joint by itself so I had to buy the whole axle. It was like $800 plus shipping not cheap.

Who do you buy your axles from?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tatra 813 8x8

tatra813 said:
.......The truck has 2 starters and you can select in the cab whether you want to use 1 or both and they are both waterproof.
Didn't pick up on this before, can you expand on this, please?

Thanks,

czechnology

Conrats on your purchase. These TATRA trucks are great. These vehicles have been serving in the Czech army, among others. My friend uses one for truck trial. I am Czech, so - If you need any help - tranlation of original manuals, finding some spare parts etc. let me know.

tatra813

czechnology said:
Conrats on your purchase. These TATRA trucks are great. These vehicles have been serving in the Czech army, among others. My friend uses one for truck trial. I am Czech, so - If you need any help - tranlation of original manuals, finding some spare parts etc. let me know.

Nice to finally talk to someone from over there. Aside from the obvious things I can see on youtube, what kind of mods do the guys do on the trials version of the trucks. Anything on the motor?

I am leaving my one truck original and the other one is being converted to a trials truck with the rollcage and all.

I am trying to buy a bulldozer blade from a company down there right now.
Do you see many 813's in good shape for sale around there anymore?

Do you know of a company that sells used tires or recaps?

Thanks in advance

tatra813

The truck has two waterproof starters. There is a selector key that you can select number 1 starter, number 2 starter or both at the same time. the idea is in really cold weather you may need 2. Also you have a backup if one goes bad. I always have no problem starting it with one starter, never found the need for two so far.

Wolf.Dose

The Tatra 813 is a real Check made and design. It is intended to tow very heavy loads. Standard towed load without restrictions is 100 metric tons! The back bone designe is made (without any discusion) for maximum off road performance and traction. To my knowledge even actual truck designs as the MAN 2000 series, Actros 8X8 or the HEMETT or what so ever is no match for the Tatras! The XM757 plays in an other leage, no match for a Tatra 8x8! A friend of mine had one for several years including a Russian 5 axle 50 ton trailer to hawel the tanks to events for the Ready First Tank Museum in the RAY barraks, Friedberg, Germany. It's something like the BIG BOY of the heavy weight pullers for its time, evern off road. More modern on road pullers like ACTROS TITAN can pull more, but not off road. Modern pullers have up to 650 HP, the Tatra only, depending on the year of manufacture, 250 to 355 HP with a 19 l engine.

tatra813

Wolf.Dose said:
The Tatra 813 is a real Check made and design. It is intended to tow very heavy loads. Standard towed load without restrictions is 100 metric tons! The back bone designe is made (without any discusion) for maximum off road performance and traction. To my knowledge even actual truck designs as the MAN 2000 series, Actros 8X8 or the HEMETT or what so ever is no match for the Tatras! The XM757 plays in an other leage, no match for a Tatra 8x8! A friend of mine had one for several years including a Russian 5 axle 50 ton trailer to hawel the tanks to events for the Ready First Tank Museum in the RAY barraks, Friedberg, Germany. It's something like the BIG BOY of the heavy weight pullers for its time, evern off road. More modern on road pullers like ACTROS TITAN can pull more, but not off road. Modern pullers have up to 650 HP, the Tatra only, depending on the year of manufacture, 250 to 355 HP with a 19 l engine.

I agree, I watch a lot of Tatra trials videos on youtube and there is one, I will have to find it where a really nice looking MAN 8x8 is competing against Tatra 813s and cant even get the traction to get up the hills the Tatras are climbing, also due to the solid axle there are a few situations in rough terrain it cant pass. The ability of the Tatras is what really got me interested in them.

Stewz

Hi
I found this tread/forum today, nice too see Tatras in US.
I think I'm that guy from Sweden mentioned in the tread that should put a 38L Russian T55 engine in a Tatra813,
the build was almost completed with 8-wheel steering and motor fitted only some minor problems with clutch,
when some a**h**e put fire to our garage and we lost this project (2000hour+) and some other Tatras and Russian trucks,
at least a friends Tatra that i built was in another building
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/-Tatra ny.tiff
And here is my Tatra
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFwN15oAQ4

About fording i drove my Tatra in to a lake that was a little bit deeper than i thought,
I have to back up when the water reach my stiff nipples (too coold).
Speed i drove 104kmh according too German Police :twisted:

Problems that I had with 813,
electric is a pain in the *** with no working switches for diff and problems with solenoids, so I use air to air instead without electric for everything except splitt-gear.

Another little problem that makes big problem is the diesel return-pipe under cylinder-cover (name?) if this breaks (and it will) it fills engine with diesel and if your lucky you see it on failing oil-pressure before something bad happens,
solution is to cut it on top and but a 1" long rubber hose to take tension out,

And if you are going too push dirt with front fender like on Truck-Trial videos,
you must put something in front off left lamp other wise you will push the lamp in too clutch-line behind lamp and breake it.

Hmm howe too post pictures :?:

tatra813

Stewz said:
Hi
I found this tread/forum today, nice too see Tatras in US.
I think I'm that guy from Sweden mentioned in the tread that should put a 38L Russian T55 engine in a Tatra813,
the build was almost completed with 8-wheel steering and motor fitted only some minor problems with clutch,
when some a**h**e put fire to our garage and we lost this project (2000hour+) and some other Tatras and Russian trucks,
at least a friends Tatra that i built was in another building
http://data.fuskbugg.se/skalman01/-Tatra ny.tiff
And here is my Tatra
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7DFwN15oAQ4

About fording i drove my Tatra in to a lake that was a little bit deeper than i thought,
I have to back up when the water reach my stiff nipples (too coold).
Speed i drove 104kmh according too German Police :twisted:

Problems that I had with 813,
electric is a pain in the *** with no working switches for diff and problems with solenoids, so I use air to air instead without electric for everything except splitt-gear.

Another little problem that makes big problem is the diesel return-pipe under cylinder-cover (name?) if this breaks (and it will) it fills engine with diesel and if your lucky you see it on failing oil-pressure before something bad happens,
solution is to cut it on top and but a 1" long rubber hose to take tension out,

And if you are going too push dirt with front fender like on Truck-Trial videos,
you must put something in front off left lamp other wise you will push the lamp in too clutch-line behind lamp and breake it.

Thanks alot for the info!! I will defenitily modify the fuel line. It sounds like it breaks from the tention? so does this mean the fuel doesnt return to the tank and instead fills up the cylinders and crankcase?

Thanks also for the trials info, if you have any other tips I would really appreciate it!!

Dean

Hmm howe too post pictures :?:

Stewz

Your Tatra looks very nice.

Another little tip is to disconnect the little pedal over gas-pedal (emergency kill for engine) if you are letting people/children in the cabin to look (play)
I made that mistake on a exhibition, much work to get it back right.
When the pipe breaks it will fill oil-pan with diesel slowly, for some strange reason it's only the return-pipe thats problem, this with to 90° bends not intake S-shape. It's easy too change, but you have too trow a way 35L oil every-time.
And I don't like oil in air-filter, I know that your not suppose too put a truck on the side, but when shit happens and the engine running amok burning oil from filter it can be the difference between put it back on wheels and drive or salvage expensive transport back home and change engine.
That happened with a friends brand new Praga.

tatra813

Stewz said:
Your Tatra looks very nice.

Another little tip is to disconnect the little pedal over gas-pedal (emergency kill for engine) if you are letting people/children in the cabin to look (play)
I made that mistake on a exhibition, much work to get it back right.
When the pipe breaks it will fill oil-pan with diesel slowly, for some strange reason it's only the return-pipe thats problem, this with to 90° bends not intake S-shape. It's easy too change, but you have too trow a way 35L oil every-time.
And I don't like oil in air-filter, I know that your not suppose too put a truck on the side, but when crap happens and the engine running amok burning oil from filter it can be the difference between put it back on wheels and drive or salvage expensive transport back home and change engine.
That happened with a friends brand new Praga.

Thanks again for the tips!!
Do the trials trucks modify the suspention at all or is everything stock.

What do you do for air filters?did you conver to standard paper filter?

duncan

Hello! Lets bump this thread up a bit!

I just purchased a '74 T813 crewcab and shipped it to Holland. The cab is in very bad shape, but chassis and engine are fine. Have only started it by pulling it about with a tractor first, so I'm not trying to get electrics going.

I have no clue on anything on the dashboard though. Was previously owned by a company that's had it stood the past 4 years, and everyone familiar with the trucks workings already left the company years ago.

I put new batteries in, but not everything seems to be dead, not even a single light works. Probably some main fuse or switch is out, but with a truck this size its a bitch to find. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Love the site so far!

tatra813

congrats on the new truck!! you are going to love it.

I see you have already been introduced to its welcoming cloud of smoke.lol

Try to flip the switch on the top left hand of the dash tall white toggle switch. that is a bettery disconnect switch and will get power to everything.

Before you drive it check all your fluids, ESPECIALLY the hub fluid in all the hubs, if it is low and you drive it you will be sorry, it is a tough repair.

Ill get back with you when I have more time, but I have lots of info for you.
You need a set of english manuals which will tell you everything you need for the most part. I also have workshop manuals.
I also have leads for parts etc. I have 3 of these trucks, one of which will probably end up being a parts truck.

Have fun with your new toy you will be amazed what it can do offroad.

duncan

Found the flip switch on the dash, it does nothing :( I traced the leads from the battery to what I think is a big switch box under the cab near the front right wheel. It has some major big wires going in and out.
Thing is, I drove it around a bit before loading it on the trailer in England, and haven't changed anything except the batteries. In all the excitement there I forgot to take notes on all the switches ofcourse.

Ill take the voltage metre to it! Looking forward to some manuals.

duncan

Ha, found a main solenoid next to the air filters. Forced it with a screwdriver and things started working :D !

The air purifier thing behind the cab started running immediately, sound scared the hell out of me. Took me a while to find which switch controls that, too, but sorted. All lights and indicators still work, and I managed to get the starter engines running too. Didn't get to start it yet though, will need to find the pre-heater switch or button. I think I've now located that, but recharging batteries first. Will also have to get some clean diesel in the tanks, and get the rust out. Good progress today though!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks