• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

FridgeFreezer

dont forget all of the awsome smoke! The tatra give you the full experience.
Once it was running it was pretty clean actually, did make a hell of a cloud on startup though.

It's missing a starter motor, and it needs a set of tyres and a load of tidying up, but I think it could make a nice little runabout.

So, anyone got a set of manuals I can exchange for some beer tokens?

TigerHawk

That's a COOL truck!

How does it feel to drive that thing? I have a 109 and I love to drive it! Your 813 must be a blast! I think I want one...:) I got the bug!

I just purchased a Tatra 813 8x8 and I am in the process of getting it fixed up, I am new to the forum and hope to talk with guys with similar trucks, I am into customizing so I love this site for all the ideas.
anyways Hi to all.

tatra813

813 drives a lot different than other big trucks, its extremely smooth in rough terrain and has excellent traction. It is very noisy and smokey also

duncan

anyone want to sell me a set of manuals on CD / by e-mail?
Got PDF of the techie stuff here, basicly engine, transmission, driveline, and some basic electrics&air. Doesnt come with chassis / cab / etc details, but the rest is very detailed. So really, its a manual to repair the only bits that wont break on a tatra :D Its about 140mb worth of PDF, it's in german, and has loads of pictures with HAMMERS. If neither of those things is a problem, I could snail-mail you a CD.

duncan

How does it feel to drive that thing? I have a 109 and I love to drive it! Your 813 must be a blast! I think I want one...:) I got the bug!
Again, attached is the pic of the first start in years for my beasty (you cant even see the 4th axle). It got better after adding some diesel-cleaning additive and starting it a few times (see second pic).

Currently, after driving it for maybe 10 mile or so, smoke levels are quite acceptable (I probably got used to it).

Contrary to what Tatra813 says, my ride is not smooth at all. Might be because all I do with it is run it through&over the biggest and steepest piles of sand and rubble I can find here :razz:

Last edited:

FridgeFreezer

Contrary to what Tatra813 says, my ride is not smooth at all. Might be because all I do with it is run it through&over the biggest and steepest piles of sand and rubble I can find here :razz:
I have to say, having driven one round a field, OK it's not Rolls-Royce smooth but it copes with bumps well - we'll be driving it on Russian roads & tracks so it's got to cope with rough surfaces at speed, which is where the independent suspension comes in. There is some sacrifice of ultimate off-road ability with it compared to stuff like Scammel Explorer with walking bogey suspension, but those things do 30mph flat out, so not ideal for a 5000km road trip.

Currently being in the Land Rover is like being in a washing machine with a collection of spanners - very loud, bumpy and rattly. All the bushes wear out very quickly, and because we carry so much it's always hard on the suspension.

I suspect the Tatra will ride much nicer with a few tonnes of stuff in the back ;)

duncan

Youre planning a world domination trip too :roll: My goal (after getting the truck finished) is to drive it to nordkapp, most northern bit of scandinavia... then see about doing the same thing to south cape in south africa.

FridgeFreezer

Youre planning a world domination trip too :roll:
Well, not quite - we race off-road so the truck will have to go wherever we race - initially Russia, but probably Ukraine, Estonia, Hungary, Slovakia etc. as well as any exploring holidays... the road of bones in Russia would seem like a cool thing to do, better in a big truck than Ewan & Charlie style on bikes.

duncan

Thats the transoriental rally? or something else? Cool nevertheless! I'm just planning to make it into my own self-supporting go-anywhere do-anything camper vehicle.

Better in a big truck than Ewan & Charlie style on bikes.
"On Bikes" with 4 support vehicles, camera crew, etc etc. I liked the documentaries, but I dont regard it as very adventurous. Can't make it into a nice tv series without all that help ofcourse.
It kinda reminded me of those old war propaganda shots going "Oh no, its so dangerous, we are getting shot at" while the camera man is filming everyone duck for cover, standing on a small hill next to them.

TigerHawk

Wow!

I thought it was just a really cool burn-out!

Got PDF of the techie stuff here, basicly engine, transmission, driveline, and some basic electrics&air. Doesnt come with chassis / cab / etc details, but the rest is very detailed. So really, its a manual to repair the only bits that wont break on a tatra :D Its about 140mb worth of PDF, it's in german, and has loads of pictures with HAMMERS. If neither of those things is a problem, I could snail-mail you a CD.

John C

Hey Freezer I see you are in the U.K. like me, is that Gosport on the south cost near Portsmouth? I'm up in North Wales. How's your truck coming along - Any pics of her?

Regards

FridgeFreezer

Thats the transoriental rally? or something else? Cool nevertheless! I'm just planning to make it into my own self-supporting go-anywhere do-anything camper vehicle.
We are hijacking the original thread quite badly here :oops: but we race in Trophy Raid Ladoga, Veppskii Les (both Russia) and hope to get out to more events such as Klaperjaht in Estonia. I also like the look of the Dresden Breslau rally as they let big trucks run in that one.

John C - must've posted while I was posting :p yes I'm in costa del Gosport. "My" truck isn't bought yet, I'm still working on a few details (such as the price :roll:) as it is not what you'd call "combat ready". We need to work out if it's a true multifuel engine, and also get a set of tyres for it - I've found some for ~120 euro each so it's just the logistics of getting them to the truck and the truck to me now.

I've added some pictures of the truck, hopefully you guys will know more what you're looking at than I do! ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

John C

Hi Freezer

There's an easy way to tell if it's a multi-fuel variant; have a look at the VIN plate in the cab (bottom of drivers seat base), where it says engine/motor no. it should read something like; 930-3-10124-150,13C-78. The first three digits are the model of the engine, the next number denotes type of engine; 3 = standard diesel - 17 = multi-fuel, then the rest of the numbers are just serial numbers except for the last two which are the year of build. It's also worth checking these numbers against the ones on the engine itself as you may find the two do not correspond :roll: The engine plate is located at the front of the engine just under the cooling fan and to the right a little, just behind the right cylinder of the air compressor.

Regards

tatra813

We are hijacking the original thread quite badly here :oops: but we race in Trophy Raid Ladoga, Veppskii Les (both Russia) and hope to get out to more events such as Klaperjaht in Estonia. I also like the look of the Dresden Breslau rally as they let big trucks run in that one.

John C - must've posted while I was posting :p yes I'm in costa del Gosport. "My" truck isn't bought yet, I'm still working on a few details (such as the price :roll:) as it is not what you'd call "combat ready". We need to work out if it's a true multifuel engine, and also get a set of tyres for it - I've found some for ~120 euro each so it's just the logistics of getting them to the truck and the truck to me now.

I've added some pictures of the truck, hopefully you guys will know more what you're looking at than I do! ;-)
Fridgefreezer Hey nice ride, go for it and buy it it looks decent , thats a great deal on tires also, we could use another guy on here with a Tatra for sure.
Let us know how it comes along.

tatra813

Im not sure about Russian, there are a few domestic small military vehicle importers, most of them that I know have contacts in Germany and czech republic etc not russia. You are better off going through different forums on the web, and finding someone you can trust with a contact in Russia, or find one and ship it over yourself.Try russianmilitarytrucks.com and see if you can find some contacts.

Good luck I would like to see some pics, I love Russian trucks....Maz etc.

FridgeFreezer

Thanks John - I think the current owner is not very technically minded, they're having trouble finding any numbers on anything :-( and they haven't maintained the truck very well - there are a fair few leaks (mostly from oil/hydro pipes) so it would be a big job to get it through an MOT. I'd be looking at re-plumbing the whole truck - all new oil/hydro hoses and replace all the air lines with nylon push-fit.

FridgeFreezer

Found a truck on milweb.net but dont know anything about that sight, are they good,I think they are in the UK but not sure.
Milweb is a sort of club for military vehicle enthusiasts, there's a lot of UK stuff but there are people all over the place. I find they usually want a lot of money for their stuff because they all think it's "historic" - as an example, ex-army Land Rovers (which are neither rare nor especially historic) go for ~£3500 or more when the same vehicle would sell in a Land Rover club for ~£1500.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks