• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

FridgeFreezer

Thanks, but do they get them into the US, or is they some other way? I might have to use them as a last resort.
I think you misunderstand, MilWeb don't "do" anything, it would be down to the individual seller (just like eBay).

Wherever you buy from, you would just need to arrange export by whatever means are required. Sometimes the seller may be willing to help, other times you may need to use an export agent, or find a friendly face who can help.

Barneyszoo

O... ok, I'll have to do some more reserch. I've never had something shipped like that, but I guiess if you really want something you gotta work for it.

FridgeFreezer

Thanks to John C I've asked some of this on the HMVF but I thought I'd ask here in case anyone can give me a direct answer from their own experiences.

To import the Tatra we have some lovely DVLA/HMRC (Transport department / tax office:evil:) forms to fill in which ask all sorts of questions about the vehicle. I'm wondering if any of you guys have the info to hand from your own paperwork that you could share (feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it on the net).

I'm somehow doubting the Tatra will have a certificate of conformity, and hoping that that means I don't need to fill in a lot of those boxes! :p

I'll just put the stuff they ask and hope someone recognises it, it's all written in bureaucrat speak anyway :roll:

- Type Approval Number / category details (From Certificate of Conformity)
- Variant (from CoC)
- Version (from CoC)
- HC (Hydrocarbon emissions) in g/km or g/kWh
- Max Net Power (kW) from CoC
- NOx (Nitrogen Oxide emissions) in g/km or g/kWh
- Revenue weight (found it now, see "1" below)
- Max permissible mass (whatever that means, point 14.1 of CoC, apparently)
- Euro status directive number (I'm assuming this is Euro-n emissions and hence the Tatra won't have a rating)
- Type of fuel (the tatra is multifuel, I'll probably just have to ask the DVLA what they want to see there!)
- CO2 g/km (From CoC)
- Mass in service (whatever that means)
- Particulates (pm) g/km or g/kWh
- CO g/km or g/kWh
- HC & NOx g/km
- Trailer weight (I'll have to call the DVLA on this one as I don't know if they mean maximum weight or what)
- Stationary sound level (are you allowed to put "f***ing loud" on the form?:twisted: )
- Engine speed sound level (from the CoC)
- Drive-by sound level (from CoC)

DVLA website reveals:
1 - Revenue weight: Goods vehicles are taxed according to their revenue weight. This is the confirmed maximum weight for vehicles that have to be plated and tested. For non-testable vehicles this will be the maximum weight at which a vehicle can lawfully be used.

2 - Reference is made to the maximum authorised mass (MAM) of vehicles and trailers. This should be taken to mean the permissible maximum weight, also known as gross vehicle weight.

Maximum authorised mass (total weight of the vehicle plus the maximum load it can carry) determines the driving licence entitlement needed. If a vehicle has a maximum authorised mass which exceeds 3.5 tonnes but not 7.5 tonnes then a category C1 licence is needed; if the maximum authorised mass exceeds 7.5 tonnes then a category C licence is needed.

So three names for the same thing, wonderful! :roll: It's point 14.1 of CoC, apparently.

duncan

I know the truck I bought was licensed, MOT'd and insured in the UK, so should be doable! No clue on the details though.

duncan

I have copies of all the old DVLA papers if thats what you mean... got access to a scanner tomorow, will get you a copy if it helps. Maybe you can find some details, the reg number was "H27 CMW".

FridgeFreezer

I'll reproduce the fruits of today's phone calls to the DVLA and HMRC - once I managed to get through the lady on the phone was incredibly helpful, I hope her bosses don't find out as I believe it's a sackable offence at the DVLA :-O

It was helpful to have your registration number as she was able to look it up and compare notes - apparently yours was registered as "agricultural" body type.

A lot of the grey areas she said I should either write a covering letter with the form or visit the local office and get their opinion.

An awful lot of this seems to hinge on whether the vehicle is young enough to have been type approved, as that wipes out half the boxes in one swoop 8) which I imagine would be the case for pretty much anything green & historic.

Reg mark - blank (they will issue one)
Tax class - (whatever you're going for, Private HGV in my case)
Make / model - As it says on the tin
Type of body / vehicle - Seems fairly free-form, I'll probably put "flatbed" or something.
Wheelplan - As it says on the tin
Colour(s) - Green :rolleyes:
Type approval - Not relevant due to age (1986), leave blank
Variant - "
Version - "
Length - "
HC - "
Unladen weight - "
Number of seats - As it says on the tin
Max net power - Not relevant due to age, leave blank.
Permissible maximum towable mass of trailer braked/unbraked - Not relevant, leave blank.
Width - "
NOx - "
Revenue weight - "
Number of standing places - "
Max permissible mass - "
Power/weight ratio - "
Date of original registration - As it says on the tin
Date of UK registration - As it says on the tin
Euro Status directive number - Not relevant, leave blank.
Country vehicle imported from - As it says on the tin
LHD/RHD - If you have to ask... :p
Type of fuel - Multifuel seems to confuse them (she asked if it was dual fuel like petrol/LPG cars), I'm guessing they'll just go for "Diesel" although the suggestion on HMVF was "heavy oil" instead.
VIN / Chassis number - She said if we can't find one the local office will issue one, we then need to MOT it on that number and then put the V55/5 in to get a reg plate.
Engine number - Fill it in if there is one.
Cylinder capacity - As it says on the tin
CO2 - Not required, leave blank.
Mass in service - "
Particulates - "
CO - "
HC + NOx - "
Trailer weight - "
Stationary sound level - "
Engine speed sound - "
Drive by sound level - "
Year of manufacture - As it says on the tin

There are a few bits about trailer towing on the flip side of the form, but she didn't have those on her computer and said I was best asking the local office what they want to see.

I even had a sensible answer from HMRC on the import duty form VAT414, which was basically "Fill in whatever bits you can & send it in, chances are there's nothing to pay as it's coming from inside the EU"

Hopefully this will be of use to others importing stuff from the EU.

duncan

Agricultural, yup, thats mine ;) It gets worse, as you can see (hopefully) in the attached picture. They registered it at 1800cc :roll: 1400 kg, 2 axle rigid body tractor :?:

I seriously wonder what kind of drugs your DVLA officers use when filling these forms.... anyone can see ALL of those figures are wrong. And before you ask, yes those are the proper papers. I checked before buying on getting it imported here in the netherlands, they said it'd be all fine and no matter what weirdness I had on paper from england, it could only help.

In lighter news, I found a mobile sandblaster! So I can work on clogging my lungs, with rust-removing side-effects.

FridgeFreezer

Cheers Duncan, that is quite helpful as we've been trying to find the serial number with no avail - our friend at Tatra said it should be on the chassis, the manual says it should be on the driver's seat, and the only thing we can find is on the heater/bench seat base and looks like this:

P7210020.JPG

The plate is just above and to the right of the cutout towards the front of the seatbox:
P7210017.JPG

I note your serial number is "5021970", if 1970 is the year of production then the stamp of "122 1986" on this one may be correct - or am I talking rubbish? :oops:

John C

Hi Freezer

That plate has the cab id # and its build date on it, if the cab build date matches the build date on the engine then you can be faily sure that the rest of the truck is also a 1986.

Diesel is reffered to by DVLA as 'heavy oil' - so same thing

You may be able to go for MOT/plating excemption if you think your truck/usage will meet the criteria? - Form V112g is used to declare excemption and also has a list of excempt classes etc on it - you can get it off the net here http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067674.pdf

Some Tatras have thier original VIN plates missing from the base of the seat if they've been refurbished and/or had a new cab, sometimes you will also find the engine numbers don't correspond to the VIN plate due to an engine change, which I've been told isn't an uncommon occurance :-?

Sorry, I was going to send you a scan of my V5 but my scanner's gone poop atm:-x, getting a new one soon though:roll:

Regards

FridgeFreezer

Cheers John - several people have suggested going for MOT exemption but frankly for ~£100 a year I'd rather have a bit of paper and not need it than the other way round. Plus the Russian border guards like to see lots of official-looking paperwork, it makes them feel important (although ultimately your rank is based entirely on hat size out there).

I've yet to find a definitive explanation of plating verses an MOT, and how it applies or not to registering the thing as a Private HGV.

duncan

The frame number is on the right (passenger) side of the truck, on the backbone tube, between 2nd and 3rd axle, under the diesel tank, near the neutral solenoid (for winching).

There should be a summary plate in the cab under the drivers seat, but yeah, its just a bolt-on. So, engine numbers might not match if engine was replaced, the plate and other numbers might not match if cab was replaced... and the rest of the truck might well have been pieced together too :roll: Hard to get a history on these vehicles. My numbers dont match anything, but its not a problem according to the ppl I talked to. Hey, who's gonna steal one of these :)

FridgeFreezer

The frame number is on the right (passenger) side of the truck, on the backbone tube, between 2nd and 3rd axle, under the diesel tank, near the neutral solenoid (for winching).
Well, I haven't heard anyone say the frame number is there yet, and I don't think we've looked there either! :roll: Is there any chance you could take a photo of it so I can show the owner where to look?

Who thought buying a truck could be so complicated :razz:

duncan

"A truck"... yes :) I just checked, dont have pictures of the frame number. Got another day of heavy work tomorow, but can make you some pictures thursday.

duncan

Yes, somehow they tend to get "a bit" dirty there. And the numbers arent the most obvious to spot.

They get dirty in the strangest places actually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks