• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

John C

Youre running one of the later multifuel engines on that, or the regular ones? Sounds interesting :D
Sorry for the late reply.

It is one of the standard diesel units :-D - it seems to run fine though and does not appear to suffer from any lack of power, well not that I've noticed anyway.

Wow your restoration is certainly comprehensive! I like how it's all starting to look now. I don't mean to sound rude but it sounds like your truck was in a bad way for its age, it must have been quite badly neglected before you owned it (doo you know anything of who it was originally intended to be used by?) . Mine is as you know slightly older than yours by two years but it does not seem to require the same attention yours is having, all air lines etc look quite healthy and the cab is actually quite sound under the rough paint and odd dent, it's just as well really as I don't think I could be bothered doing all those air hoses etc unless I really had to - I'm too lazy :roll::-D - is why I really admire the effort you are putting into your truck.

Last edited:

duncan

Sorry for the late reply.

It is one of the standard diesel units :-D - it seems to run fine though and does not appear to suffer from any lack of power, well not that I've noticed anyway.
Nice, I will try!

Wow your restoration is certainly comprehensive! I like how it's all starting to look now. I don't mean to sound rood but it sounds like your truck was in a bad way before for its age, it must have been quite badly neglected before you owned it. Mine is as you know slightly older than yours by two years but it does not seem to require the same attention yours is having, all air lines etc look quite healthy and the cab is actually quite sound under the rough paint and odd dent, it's just as well really as I don't think I could be bothered doing all those air hoses unless I really had to - I'm too lazy :roll::-D
Well, it was a nice runner in quite acceptable shape apart from the cab. Just a little neglected. I think noone really cared for it for a long time. There was a thick layer of dirt and mud in the water separator, and water in the main air tank. Not running every now and then is a real killer for any vehicle.
Because it didnt run often enough the fuel lines and tanks rotted away, and the air system partially rusted away from the inside.
Good side is the engine is brand new, you can tell by the belts and pulleys :D

Either way, dont be fooled. The restauration thing got a little ouf of hand. The air system wasn't all bad, but I replaced it all just to be sure. The brake valve worked great, I just serviced it so I feel better. The paint is just for prettyness, not really needed as most of the original green is still there under the dirt. The clutch worked great and smooth but I renewed the lines cause they were leaking a tiny bit. All the diff locks worked, I just cleaned and greased them cause I had to take them apart to put in new air fittings.

Lastly, doing an almost frame-offjob like this means I get to know the truck inside out. That's going to be a major plus when I have to service it next time, or when something breaks on the road.

BTW the unit in your last post looks like the low air pressure buzzer.
I thought the buzzer was on the other side (the black box thingy). But thanks, if I get an annoying buzzer Ill clip the wire again.

Oh also, have you found anywhere that are good on replacement tyres for the 813?
Fridgefreezer PM'ed me about a source for tires in Germany, I havent followed up on that one yet, but feel free (and share info!).

duncan

Ow and also, got any updates and pics of your truck? It's been a while since I saw one that wasn't in pieces :)

John C

Tyres were from reifen-nattermann.de I believe.
Hey thanks pal, I really appreciate that.

Ow and also, got any updates and pics of your truck? It's been a while since I saw one that wasn't in pieces :smile:
It still looks like a shed on wheels; rust, red lead and covered in oil. I've only really been working on the mechanical side of things ATM so it doesn't really look any different - Hope to spend more time on it soon.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great attention to detail, Duncan and thanks for taking the time to post!
You may want to consider adding the split corrugated plastic (Nylon?) cover for air lines that are exposed for added protection. Attached image shows some of my replacement fuel and air lines covered in that manner....at least think about adding it to your rather exposed electrical wires.
Are the original wires and lines labeled in any way? Small aluminum tags are the norm on US MVs.

PS. I agree with you on the zip ties, some have a little bend at the tip to make it easier to thread around a bundle and it makes me smile working with them and having that curved end come around so nicely. Nuts, I know... :)

Attachments

duncan

Hmmm, I thought about covering them, but not until the need arises. If it does, Ill be covering them with something metal I think. My fuel lines already have a braided stainless outer shell. For the air lines I need something that protects it from being squeezed too.

The electrical system is currently stock. I amazed myself at some of the weird exposed wiring, but it all seems original. No labels anywhere though, or I havent found them :(

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, Mike (mangus580) should have the problem with this thread not showing up on the "main" page fixed before too long....easy to miss posts when they remain hidden.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's multi-fuel and multi-fuel, some are very sensitive and "emergency only" whereas others out there are running round on used engine oil and all sorts of stuff with no problem.

I can only really live with terrible MPG if the fuel is cheap.

Hey ho, I'll just have to lavish some pennies on my Land Rover instead.
According to many posts on the site, running on used motor oil seems to gain in popularity. You may want to be aware of all the additional chemicals included in the oil before doing so, even after filtering using a centrifuge. There may be some long term effects and certainly the pollution factor.
Here are the results from a lab analysis. (For max resolution, "right click" on image and "open link in new window".)

Attachments

duncan

FYI, Mike (mangus580) should have the problem with this thread not showing up on the "main" page fixed before too long....easy to miss posts when they remain hidden.
So thats why you were gone from here all of a sudden ;)

According to many posts on the site, running on used motor oil seems to gain in popularity. You may want to be aware of all the additional chemicals included in the oil before doing so, even after filtering using a centrifuge. There may be some long term effects and certainly the pollution factor.
Here are the results from a lab analysis. (For max resolution, "right click" on image and "open link in new window".)
Ive followed some of the multifuel threads. Centrifuge seems to be all the rage there. I dont get it though. A filter, no matter what you do, filters fine particles. It doesnt filter out other liquids that pollute your oil.
You end up polluting and possible wrecking your lovely engine just to save a few bucks. Not worth it for me.

If even the soviets (pardon the expression :roll:) say their "multifuel" engines are multifuel for emergency use only, then that tells me something.

This ofcourse is on the subject of burning waste oil. Using clean vegetable oil, biodiesel, or even petrol-contaminated diesel doesnt pose a problem in my book. Driving on veggie oil makes your truck smell like a mobile fat frier though!

John C

Found the e-mail, here we go. They quoted me ~100 euro per tyre when I asked but obviously things can change.
That is friggin amazing!!!! Thank you :-D - I've been getting quotes of around £390 per tyre recently from other suppliers :oops: - Around 100 Euros seems very good value even if they are remoulds :p

John C

Re. Multi-fuel.

Emissions> Firstly I think we should all remember that if we are running any vehicle just for recreation purposes we are needlessly contributing to global pollution regardless of whatever fuel we are using. However I try to justify this by telling my self that the small amount of usage my MV's get is not going to make all that much difference, as I'm sure we all do anyway - it's called denial, and it will ultimately be the undoing of modern civilization.

Engine issues> Well I can only go from personal experience with running old tractors on used engine oil which I have done for years 'without' problem. For me the saving is well worth it even if for argument's sake I needed to replace the complete engine in 5 - 10 years time (which I know I won't) the cost of it would be offset many times over by the saving on the fuel - however if in time I decide I want to use the Tatra on road a lot then I would be more inclined to to use SVO or similar as using old engine old as a road fuel is illegal in the U.K.

duncan

I wasn't going to start on the environment / emission thing. Thats a seperate discussion, without end.

On the engine note, for running oil to be cheaper you must be getting large quantities of it somewhere or something? Because the relatively small amounts you get with changing oil in your trucks is not enough to cover even processing costs and effort.

John C

Sorry, yes emissions are a subject best not discussed here - hey ever heard of the Kyoto agreement? lol

The oil is sourced from a local scrapyard who we have dealing with anyway (a favors for favors arrangement)

tatra813

This is defenitily the wrong forum to bring up the enviroment . If you own a tatra you know you cant see your neighbors house just from starting it up so we better not open a can of worms...........lol.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Duncan, I take it that the Wabco unit you installed is not an original Tatra part....what model # did you pick? Is it also a dryer or only a passive filter/oil/water/separator?
Where in the air circuit did you place it?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks