• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tatra 813 new owner

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it's been discussed before, the T930 engine comes with 2 (identical) starter engines, mounted on the left and right side of the crank case. There is a key switch on the dashboard to select starter 1, 2, or 1+2. In extreme cold the engine gets harder to crank, so you use both. Other than that its always nice to have a spare starter in case one fails.
Got it. Yes, it was mentioned before, but it seems I learn more from repetition. :oops:
Thanks!

What is the KW rating (hp) of each starter motor?

Last edited:

duncan

Im not 100% on this, it's either 8Kw or 8hp. The batteries can take a beating though, 2x 300amp/hr beasts. I do plan on having my 6 x 106amp/hr deepcycle batteries with me as spare whenever I go somewhere far though.

The drivers manual states you should use both starters for temperatures below 0f. The original oil used for these engines is single grade, so gets kinda thick with the cold. And since the specs say it has to start at -50f too, I can see how you might need two starter motors.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, thank you for having patience with my questions and taking the time to respond!

My 5-ton starter is rated about 9KW.
At low temperatures the oil is supposed to be changed to a much less viscous 10W and at extreme low temps, the coolant/oil pan/battery heater is supposed to be used to make it possible for a single starter to do the job on most US trucks.
I like redundancy, though.

duncan

Ah yes, I really should translate the chapter on cold starting the tatras, its amazing. You have to heat the oil with a blowtorch, the batteries and air intake are heated by the independent diesel heater, and the battery box has slots to mount boxes with heating candles. Then there is the system under the dashboard to inject high flammable liquid into the air intake. Also theres a section on mixing the oil with diesel or gas to get a lower viscosity (and how to measure the viscosity and such) for winter operations. That's all filed in the section "starting in temperatures below -50f" though, so I didnt study it too hard yet :roll:

Your questions will probably help me when the time comes something odd breaks, and I'll remember "didnt bjorn ask me about that?" and be able to fix it :D

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's when the extreme conditions are considered when the odd design solutions begin to make sense, like the draining oil filter canisters on our military multifuel engines. They drain to make it possible to heat all the oil in the oilpan.

drdstny

Banned
Wow. You guys are amazing.

Back in 1999 I had a chance to get a T813 for about US$18K and I just couldn't do it with everything that was going on in the technology sector. I love the Tatra T813 "Kolos" and to this day would dearly love to get one. The fact is, it's just easier to piece together an Oshkosh and know that 50% of the parts on the truck are sold at Napa.

But MAN OH MAN would I love to have one of those air-cooled, flat-12 diesel, true-crew-cab, overgrown-Pinzgauer-suspension trucks. Seriously: they are the perfect size, just a skosh smaller than the HEMTT--which won't even fit the whole fam-dam in it--and probably a bit more fun in Extremes.

I envy you. I almost bought Brutus' 813 when he got rid of it, and to this day the T813 is the 20-year-old in the miniskirt that walks by the mother of my 3 kids at very inopportune moments.

Sorry for the threadjack, I just really love those trucks.

duncan

Right, got the windows and doors back in, plus a ton of other small stuff. There is a weird electrical problem (I think a shortcircuit), so one of the indicators doesnt work, and one of the tail lights goes out when the brake light comes on. Other than that it's about ready for a title.

Called the local garage, I can pick up a temporary dealer tag from them, slap it on the truck and drive there. They'll go over the truck to see if it would pass the technical checkup. If that's all good, then Ill make an appointment to get the actual title. Reason im doing it this way is that the title-check is kind of expensive, and the station is more than 100 miles from here. You pay wheter you pass or fail the test, so a broken light, missing reflector, etcetera loses you your money :cookoo:

Either way, I get to drive it more than just around the house! :driver:

Last edited:

FridgeFreezer

Just a quick question - can anyone post a picture of the ID plate that's supposed to be on the base of the driver's seat?

Found a company who make replacement items and it would smooth the registration process, if I were to ignore the voice of common sense and buy a truck ;)

duncan

With "a truck" youre referring to that dutch one again I assume? Ill make a scan, mine is a little damaged though. Since its mounted in the cab I dont have one in the truck anymore.

FridgeFreezer

Duncan,
Yes I'm referring to your friend's truck again - long story but the planets seem to have re-aligned since last year and I may end up with a Tatra after all. Just trying to silence the voices in my head (and my bank balance) telling me what a stupid idea it is:cookoo:

If it would be of any use I'll see if the guy wants to make a few extra ID plates, we find police / border guards are happier if they can find things like that easily.

duncan

It was a good weekend :roll: Took another major step in the project.'

Went for a little ride first.... hope I'll never stop being amazed at the kind of terrain I can deal with. Slip in first or second gear, lock diffs and let it roll stationary (~800rpm). You just point the steering wheel where you want to go, and it obeys. Everything on its path it forced to obey too.

Anyway, thought I'd put the bed back on. Would save a lot of dirt spraying all over the place too. Then noticed the new diesel tanks were 1 cm too wide to fit between the legs of the frame. So we removed the tanks, placed the bed, and dropped the fuel hoses in a drum to make it back to the workshop. Little welding later and now the tanks fit perfectly.

Last edited:

FridgeFreezer

If needs be, you're welcome to use my old ID plate. Mail it back when youre done with it ;)
Thanks Duncan, it's actually better if you can take a close-up photo and I get one made with the correct information on it - using yours would be faking it and hence breaking the law. The measurements in mm would also help, just to make sure it's right.

Your truck is looking great, if I manage to get hold of one I may have to paint it yellow too :-D as it's our team colour.

Since I started looking at Tatras again, Jez has been bombarding me with stuff from Mobile.de with cheaper Magirus 110AW, Zil, Volvo 303, in fact anything but Tatra :D I know it uses lots of fuel but I can't get away from how beautifully engineered they are as an overland truck - capable and simple. Oh and f***ing cool too :cool:

The owner of the first one I looked at claims he managed 92km/h and 4km/l of fuel in his, which seems quite surprising. He said it was on a motorway run, which I guess not many people here would be doing regularly, but if it's true it gives me some hope that I'm not being really really stupid... there's always the V8 twin-turbo lump I suppose :twisted:

Last edited:

duncan

Sorry for not getting you that picture! I've been cruising around so happy I totally forgot about it :( Will fix you up asap!

The project is nearing completion (at least as much as it'll ever be "completed"), working on the final details for getting a title. Replaced the headlights with EU approved ones, added all the required reflectors and lights, etcetera. Just need to add 2 more mirrors on the co-drivers side.

The title check is scheduled for tuesday the 27th. Two of my mates are joining me for the trip (about 160 miles round). Truck is running smoother by the minute now, and somehow its starting to feel more powerful too. I think the engine is mighty happy with all the clean fuel and the driving hours I'm putting on it :roll:

FridgeFreezer

Wow that's looking good, I can totally understand why you'd be cruising round in the sunshine rather than taking photos in the workshop! :driver:

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well done Duncan!
How important would you say that the looking diffs are, how bad does it get on the course without them?
Looks great!
(4km/l =9.3 mpg)

Last edited:

duncan

I'd say the lockers are essential, especially the inter-axle locks. I already often found myself in a situation where one the axles loses grip. Mostly the 2nd or 3rd axle when starting on a steep climb, and the 1st and 4th when going over a steep top. Even with the amount of suspension travel on these things, its not enough for the ~22ft wheel base.

Last edited:

FridgeFreezer

Cheers Duncan, that's spot on!

I know from Land Rovers that locking diffs make a massive difference to available traction, the same is true with the later ETC (traction control) system which achieves a similar effect by braking a spinning wheel. They're also the fastest way to break your axle internals as you can be sending 100% of the power to a single wheel, doubly true for front axles with delicate CV joints or UJ's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks