• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tatra 813 vs MAN Kat1 10t

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trade ya a Deuce and a half for it! ROFLMAO! That is purty nice looking truck. Fell in love with 'em and their amazing abilities. Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing. (I can dream about one, right?) LOL

God bless,
Tony

The New Guy

Apologies to OP for muddying the waters with this but, MAZ 535 or Tatra 813? I cant find anything to compare the 2 other than that the MAZ is a couple mpg less than the Tatra.

T815-8x8

Maz is larger truck 2.85m wide v 2.5 for the Tatra, Maz has the D12 38lt V12 from T-series tanks v 17lt Tatra's air cooled V12

Carlo

What did you end up getting, I'm interested in the kat1 but worried abound fuel costs and availability of parts
Parts are ready available at all MAN dealers but after owning 6 different KAT's (4x4, 6x6, and 8x8) I don't remember passing much time looking for parts. I did spend allot of time repairing rust! The body on the cab is full of defects that trap water. In regards to the motor it's hard to find defects in air cooled Deutz motors.

Henrik74

Hi
Someone knows where I can put an air inlet on the Truck so I can fill the tanks when the truck is in the garage.
Or are there already one??

T815-8x8

There is an tire inflation hose connection, but it would install a Quick Connect airline fitting, these have 1 way valve on the female side, and install anywhere from air regulator line or the 1st air tank.

Henrik74

Where is the tire inflation connection? Haven’t seen that have the hose in the truck but haven’t found were to connect it on the truck...

The Quick Connect airline fitting is on the to do list, but aren’t there yet :wink:

duncan

Are we talking t813 or t815? On the 813 there is a connector on the air pressure regulator at the right side of the rear bumper. I'm not sure if you can fill the truck using that connection though, I recall there is a one-way valve in there.

Your best option would be to use the trailer gladhand on the front bumper, if you don't have the right adapter just unscrew the gladhand entirely (there's a valve behind the bumper to close it anyway). The thread is M22x1.5 I think. It's important to use the front trailer air coupling, not the rear: The front one is connected to the main air tank and the whole system, the rear connects to the 3-way air brake valve with a one-way connector, it will never fill the system.

Henrik74

Its a 813. I have tried all the trailer connections. I have 3 connections one the rear of the truck.One is amilitary and I dont have the right connectin for that. One (yellow) dosent happen anything (the brake outlet) and one red if I use that I will fill the rear tanks. Then I have brakes but cant use the clutch before thr trucks air pump gets up the pressure.
Have tried the front to doesnt happen any thing more then going out air some were under the truck. Havent seen any valve at the front connection but havent look to hard.Was in little hurry. Will take a look tomorrow.

Regards
Henrik

duncan

Yeah, the 3 connectors at the rear wont work: Yellow (was actually blue on mine) is brake command, red is brake supply with the one-way valve, and the 3rd one (mounted slightly lower) is for connecting single-hose trailers (an old system).

For the front connections, directly behind the front bumper each has a manual valve which you need to open first.

Henrik74

Thanks!!
Will look into this.
I only have one in the front bumper, looks like they have rerouted that. Is a towing company that hade the truck before me.

Rusty Loads

I can comment a bit on these filling devices: I have not used the one on my Tatra yet (I just put in new reg and dryer) but on the unimogs (at least the high pressure running ones (18bar) The filling hose needs to be connected when the system is at low pressure say less than 4 bar. I haven't studied the Tatra manual that extensively but looking at the way the port on the regulator is covered with a rubber dust guard..I would say that is where the tire filling hose connects. So if you are up at 8 or 9 bar (with engine off) bleed off or fan brakes to get air pressure down low-then connect filler hose. It should work.
HTH
Ach-see your note about switched reg-bugger. U are across the pond so getting the stock regulator back in should be easy. Those things are cheap too-probably no more than 30 or 40 Euro.

Last edited:

Rusty Loads

Sorry I havent been to work until today. Have had some illness in the family.

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 441751
The back side whit twin doors

View attachment 441758
The front with some rack for cans and a Diesel generator Under the rack is the spare tyre supposed to be and some extras

View attachment 441760
Left side and right side looks the same

View attachment 441752
Inside

View attachment 441756
A lot of stuff;)

Comes whit a fuelburner heater.

This cabin has been installed with radio equipment.
I will have to follow your cabin building Henrik; I am awaiting Zeppelin FM2 for the rear of my 815 so I always like to see how other people outfit their campers. Thanks for the pictures.

Henrik74

Nice rig! What are the inside dimensions of the shelter?
The cabin is parked so I can’t get in to it right no, but the outside dimensions are 4235x2455 height 1985 that’s the cabin dimensions there is a rack on the front that is 1105.

Do some one know were the engine number is located??(Tatra813)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks