• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tennessee Members, sign in.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a quick question, I am thinking of moving to TN with my 5 ton, does TN require a CDL for the 5 ton's ? Also anyone know of land for sale in eastern TN ?
Thanks
It depends how you register it.

You can go with antique plates but you're limited to driving it on weekends and special events only and you can't haul cargo. Cost is a one time fee of $45 (I think) and no CDL required.

You can do what I do and register it with farm plates. You have to renew every year (tags for my deuce cost $100) but you can pretty much do whatever you want except use it commercially. You don't have to actually have a farm to have farm plates, if you get stopped just tell them you are hauling personal items and you'll be fine. No CDL required.

twisted60

Excellent, thank you very much for the CDL info, I'd go with the farm plates as I do love to drive the big girl around.. Now to find the land to buy...

Thanks again

FFRCobra

I was borned in Habersham tn Its about 50 miles north of Knoxville off of I-75.
Small world. I grew up in Duff/Eagan. Still have a lot of family around there. My dad lives in LaFollette now out near Norris lake. I got him a 923a2 to play with in his retirement recently. He's like a kid with a new Christmas toy.

What unit were you with in the guard? My cousin was in the 278th Regimental Combat Team. The Jacksboro armory is named after him.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Resurrecting an older thread here, but recent new member and need to sign in. Looking to buy a MV in the next year. Thinking of an LMTV or a HMMWV first. Storage is a bit of a challenge where I live since we are 1.6 acres on the side of a hill. I really like the LMTV, but the HMMWV would fit in the garage. Decisions...

I would like to meet some members and hear their MV acquisition stories. Interestingly, I travel for work in KY, AL, MS in addition to TN. I should be able to find someone in that area willing to talk the business! Maybe my post here will instigate some other newer members to chime in.

Carry on.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If you are ever down near Memphis again let me know I have several 5 tons you can cruise around in. I have a brother that lives in the Belle Meade area, I don't get up there much though.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! I finally met Simp5782 in Memphis a few weeks ago. He had me help moving a few 5 tons around to get things parked orderly. We then took one for a drive. I think I only scared him once. Maybe twice. :driver:

Oh well, we didn't get pulled over. The one I drove was pretty nice and for sale. If anyone is looking for a good 5-ton, you should hit up simp5782. He has several good trucks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Reviving an old thread but I am new here. I have been saving slowly to acquire a beast of a deuce to call my own. I finally created a profile instead of guest surfing on here. All you guys seem to be an outstanding group!
Ive got a deuce in memphis that needs a home for 4000. Runs and drives great. Needs some rattle can though.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

TurleySlaw

I may be interested! I have looked a couple and turned them down for various reasons. My must haves on a deuce is a running and driving deuce that is a C engine and turbo that I can drive home. PTO winch and a hard top. I understand I can add these things anytime but that is the shell I'm interested in. Hard top is somewhat negotiable. Do not care one bit what shape the bed is in as I will be modifying or replacing to be a flat bed. Rust does not scare me but any holes in floorboard might. I can promise forever and ever any deuce I own will not turn into a 'bobbed' deuce. Not my style.

Another Ahab

I may be interested! I have looked a couple and turned them down for various reasons. My must haves on a deuce is a running and driving deuce that is a C engine and turbo that I can drive home. PTO winch and a hard top. I understand I can add these things anytime but that is the shell I'm interested in. Hard top is somewhat negotiable. Do not care one bit what shape the bed is in as I will be modifying or replacing to be a flat bed. Rust does not scare me but any holes in floorboard might. I can promise forever and ever any deuce I own will not turn into a 'bobbed' deuce. Not my style.
I sure hope you find your Dream Deuce.

But if rust doesn't shut you down, what makes a floorboard with the need for a little patching make you say "no".

PS You like fairly new in the neighborhood, so welcome from here in Virginia.

TurleySlaw

Thank You Another Ahab! Honestly cutting and welding in new metal is one of the weaker points these two hands can do. I only know one professional welder and he's just the neighbor of my boss. :shrugs: But after the couple I've looked at it if I can find one with a winch that may be the new to me deuce to be! My first vehicle ever was a 79' el camino that I could ash and flick a cigarette through the floorboards when I bought it! Anyway, I don't believe it would be a deal breaker in my opinion. But as always start high and lower to reality.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome TS! Simp5782 has good trucks in Memphis. Have you connected with him to see the one he has? I’m real close to you in the Bellevue area almost to the Cheatam Co. line.

TurleySlaw

Hey TN river jet! At the moment I haven't I fell on a deal for a 48' Buick Super. I've never owned a straight eight and figured what the heck. I'll be selling it come winter or early spring and will back in the hunt for a deuce. Sometimes I regret buying it because it has very little actual utility value for me. I know a lot of people in Bellevue and your area I am sure! Grew up in west nashville and bellevue, I'm a Hillwood graduate! Not many of us hahaha. I enjoy old cars but the main reason I've been wanting a deuce is its old and I can actually use it for the farm or some easy trails or haul loads of firewood.

DrOfData

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Hawkins County. Have a 1985 M998 with a 2008 6.5L motor. Anybody recommend someone to give it a good going over?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks