• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

DSCF3803.jpgDSCF3808.jpgDSCF3807.jpgDSCF3804.jpgDSCF3809.jpgDSCF3806.jpgDSCF3805.jpgDSCF3810.jpgTerminus must have been to a wedding. He caught the garter belt. I seen it hanging on the rear axle. Maybe thats why the brakes are ground down. Could have been an Ohio wedding in July. DSCF3802.jpg

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF3812.jpgDSCF3811.jpgDSCF3813.jpgTerminus looks pretty dry underneath. The new cross member held up well. And the T case reinforcement. Lets just say it's there and leave it at that. No debate needed. DSCF3815.jpgDSCF3814.jpgLooks like I need a new E brake cable on the cab to mid ship. Both right and left cables were a bit tight. I oiled them and worked them back and forth. The drums came right off. So I eliminated them as the issue. The cable on the front cable only had about 3 strands left and the cab mount was bent a bit. Al will be fixed by Friday. thank for looking Have a great week. DSCF3816.jpgDSCF3817.jpgOhio Mud is much sandier then Pennsylvania mud. But 19 miles on a set of rear brakes is insane.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So in reality Terminus M1009 has worn out a set of rear brakes in less then 20 miles. I would never believe it if I didn't see it for myself.
I can believe that. After putting larger drum brakes on my Jeep, they couldn't be adjusted after a few days. Pulled the drums off and found perfect replicas of the inside of the drums, except they were made from mud. Mud is murder on drum brakes.
Put disk brakes on all four, problem solved.

cucvrus

That's NOT going to happen. I will just change the brakes. I do NOT need the added expense of disc brakes on the rear of an old M1009 Terminus mud truck. I can think of all the years it was used in the military. They must have put brakes on trucks constantly. Not while I own the truck. This is the second set. Besides they are warranted. It's a simple task to change them. I look it as play and pay. Routine maintenance for the conditions I used it in. Gotta run. Have a great day.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter

That's NOT going to happen. I will just change the brakes. I do NOT need the added expense of disc brakes on the rear of an old M1009 Terminus mud truck. I can think of all the years it was used in the military. They must have put brakes on trucks constantly. Not while I own the truck. This is the second set. Besides they are warranted. It's a simple task to change them. I look it as play and pay. Routine maintenance for the conditions I used it in. Gotta run. Have a great day.
I had better motivation, partially because I 'wheeled in mud almost every night and weekend, and also because those were inboard drums.
Pulling off four hubs and bearings every couple of days was no fun, especially when in it was in addition to fixing other breakage. Thought about putting garden hose couplings on the backing plates and making large drain openings at the bottom, since the mud gets in anyway. But changing to disk brakes was the better and more permanent solution, I thought.

cucvrus

I still have to clean and service it every time I use it in the extreme conditions. And with the stock parts as inexpensive as they are. I will stick to the current system. The front brakes were just as bad and they were brand new pads also. Same mileage. 20 miles and severe wear on brakes front and rear. Incredible. I could never imagine it could happen. But it did and I will just deal with it. Now I know when I see guys driving their daily drivers at Rausch Creek what they must go thru. I also want to say the mud in Ohio was the consistency of wet mortar mix. It was very wet and sandy with aggregate in it. Just like concrete and mortar mix. Hey just using the vehicle for what it was made for. In the severest form. On a positive note the axle seals held up well no water in the differentials. And the underside all the seals held up well. Brakes? I don't need no stinkin brakes. That's what one of my friends told me. He drove it. It stopped. He said good enough. I said I will go the extra mile. Make it an even 20 that they wore out. I drove it also yesterday and it had brakes. Still going to replace them. Take a brake and have a great day. The frayed worn out E brake cable was the whole reason I got into this as deep as I did. That and wanting to do hard maintenance. I could have made it another 8 hours in the bush. It's Terminus M1009. You know the rest of the story.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like you mentioned, you have to pay to play. I gave up on mud and do my dangdest to stay out of it these days. Same amount of play, much less pay. But more roll overs.
Now that you mentioned mortar mix and front brake wear, it reminded me of an excursion in a wet, sandy riverbed. Predictably got stuck, but after some 15 minutes of slow idling, the Jeep eventually managed to get back on top. The screeching sounds from the brakes were horrible, and that one time the pads did wear down noticeably.

cucvrus

These pads are worn. But not to the point of failure. It is only about an hour to change the brakes. I could have used the pressure washer and cleaned them but I didn't want the mud so I just brushed them clean. I didn't even blow compressed air on them. Just a bellows I have to work remotely. If it had seals and oil leaks I would be done with the off roading. But this is after a hard run in the mud. I have other trucks and a newer truck. I would NEVER go in the mud with them. Like I said Terminus M1009 gets severe service and severe use. I am changing the oil and filter after a 20 mile run. No short cuts. I still want to sell this truck and have someone do a restoration on it. Nothing is that bad that it can't be fixed. it goes down the road just fine. Well take care. I have a lot to do today.

cucvrus

DSCF3821.jpgDSCF3819.jpgDSCF3820.jpgFree Brakes at Autozone. Terminus M1009 is in the race. DSCF3824.jpgDSCF3823.jpgDSCF3822.jpgNew rear brakes are on and tomorrow the new E brake cable will be here. The cable from the pedal to mid ship was a little rough. Original one. new oil filter, oil Rotella T and air filter. $14.95 after my rebates and discount. Great deal. Terminus M1009 is smiling. Have a great day. More tomorrow.

cucvrus

The mud must be very corrosive also. I noticed a lot of the new bolts I put on in June and July are very rusty. that caliper was a rebuild in June or July when I put it on. I blew out the rotors up front. I am amazed that the 1984 rotors still have cooling vents on them. I see 2009 models that the rotors are rusted to a crisp. Well I have to go. Early day tomorrow and was very early today 0400 comes fast. Take care.015.jpg002.jpg009.jpg012.jpg004.jpg003.jpgis how I found Terminus M1009. It was in a scrap yard right down at the crush pile. So I bought it in February 2015 and I saved its life from the crusher. Had it not the snow plow it would have been crushed. These pictures were taken after the crusher was moved.

cucvrus

Looks like you got a heavy frost last knight.
Now that makes me laugh. That is a very heavy frost. But truthfully. I installed 2 new batteries in Terminus M1009 and turned the switch on the wait light came on and it fired right up. Later I seen the guy that I sold it to. He raved how that truck was unstoppable and if not for the broken axle he would still be running it. I still have never pulled the glow plugs on it. Why should I? It starts on the first few revolutions after the light goes out. It goes up on fast idle and comes down and runs fine all day. That comes from changing the oil every 20 25 miles for the past 2 years. HA. Heavy frost. Real heavy.

https://youtu.be/oezKQEF0deY

cucvrus

DSCF3817.jpgTime to work on Terminus M1009. Goals. Get the brakes and E-brake operational. Change the oil , air and oil filter. Sounds easy enough. I have other work on the menu also. m1008 wheels need painted. Pictures later.

cucvrus

DSCF3832.jpgI changed the front E-brake cable. It is a chore when you are by yourself. Greased and oiled the E brake pedal mechanism. All oiled up and works great again. I adjusted the rear brakes and E brake cable. I left nothing to chance. DSCF3834.jpgDSCF3833.jpgPulled down the relays cleaned the connections and added dielectric grease. Replaced the starter relay. Reattached everything firmly and put it back up under the dash. Blew more compressed air up under the dash. That Ohio mud is tough stuff. I tried to make my Terminus M1009 as reliable and as stock as possible to keep the challenge and test true to original form. DSCF3835.jpgReally the only thing that does not work is the horn. I never spent much time on fixing it. Maybe later after Rausch Creek. Load tested the batteries and removed the drain plug and oil filter. I am going to let it drain till tomorrow. DSCF3836.jpgLooked up under DSCF3837.jpgDSCF3838.jpgDSCF3839.jpgDSCF3840.jpgthe right fender edge and seen that I had some inner fender rust and noticed it was allowing a lot of muddy water into the engine compartment on the right side. I can fix that. Easy as that. is up top the inside of the front fenders. never see it unless you look up under the fenders. water and mud liked it. it will keep it out a little better. This is not my restoration work. This is field repairs that keep Terminus M1009 on the trail. Thanks for looking. Mechanically Terminus is off and running. More work tomorrow.

cucvrus

Not sure how I would figure my time. I am a guy that works on anything from Honda tractors to CUCV's and anything I can take apart and fix. My time spent working and I call it playing is better spent then sitting in the house watching TV or sitting here typing and getting nothing else done. i enjoy the wheel time and I also enjoy the fact that this M1009 is very reliable and off road capable. I have expensive vehicles that I drive daily and I don't have to work on them. i don't want to. Fact is I trade my Chevrolet pick up in every 5 years and buy a new one so i don't have to work on it. i like it that way also.So Terminus is my WIP. Work in Process. I can look at it and say I want to do this. I try and do it with zero budget. Most times it is low priced stuff it needs. If I had time and inclination. I would tear it down to the frame and rebuild it. But I have several in line before it that need my attention. Thanks for looking. I currently have a 3 year back of of CUCV's that need my attention. Thank you for the kind words. I hope I answered your question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks