• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

Awesome exhaust..jpgI am getting really tired of smelling diesel exhaust at my place. I think I will install a new exhaust system. I noticed when 10 of these new Isuzu chassis are running in the same row you smell nothing. That is awesome. 2 CUCV's and you die from fumes.. I think I will start by searching for a wrecked chassis. Wonder what that exhaust system cost? Looks like it belongs on the space shuttle.

cucvrus

Yes. I stood on the frame and you can smell nothing but air coming out the tail pipe. Warm air. No scent at all. Amazing. Used to be when we drove a diesel in the shop it would smell the whole shop. No more they burn clean and odorless. So cool. Yes you do add DEF. Times change. If it works I am all for it. They seem to be working. We see trucks with 300K miles back for repairs. Happy Holidays.

cucvrus

019.jpg011.jpg008.jpg002.jpgJust for curiosity I went out this morning and glowed Terminus M1009 while my new truck de-iced. I turned the switch on the wait came and went out. And it fired instantly. It was 28 F and I am still impressed with this unit. I never pulled the glow plugs since I rescued it from the crush pile. February 2015. The Eveready bunny still going. Happy Holidays. Imagine all the vehicles in the picture surrounding Terminus are now washers and dryers being sold at Home Depot & Lowes.

cucvrus

DSCF4412.jpgGood old reliable Terminus M1009 to the rescue. I guess after the same batteries in Crown of Thorns M1009 since November 2010 it is time for a change. Still have no generator 2 light. IDK. Can't seem to find the issue. I looked for a while. Changed the alternator but even with a new alternator no Gen 2 light. I switched the lights and guess I have to tear into deeper. I picked up 2 new 6TL batteries. Change them when I get in the mood. Anything simple I can look at. It's charging fine. DSCF4413.jpgDSCF4426.jpg

n8roro

Im having the same issue. Could it be a defective #2 alternator field current relay?

Screenshot_20180109-192956.jpg

Screenshot_20180109-193008.jpg

I have not begun to look into what or where that is. :cool:

cucvrus

Thank you. I am past this point. I replaced Gen 2 with a new one and no joy. I did not ground out the brown wire. I will do that when I get to changing the batteries. Thank you again for the post. I knew most of that. I think it is something so easy that is bypassing me. Good Luck. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF4441.jpgDSCF4442.jpgDSCF4443.jpgDSCF4444.jpgDSCF4445.jpgDSCF4446.jpgDSCF4447.jpgDSCF4448.jpgDSCF4450.jpgDSCF4449.jpg
So I went out after work and attempted to change the batteries in my M1009. It never goes that easy and I expected it NOT to. I always do more and fix more then I intended. That's fine. Keeps my vehicle in shape and the reliability up high scale. Bad cable ends. Probably from age and being over heated a few times. Jumped a lot of vehicles with this CUCV over the past 20 years. Worth mentioning. Disconnect the voltage regulator plug from the alternator before grounding it out. It is hot on both sides. Grounded out still no light. Good charge but no light. Imagine that yesterday the truck started. It was 39* F not 3*F. Kept working at it and decided it was a couple day after work job.

cucvrus

DSCF4450.jpgDSCF4451.jpgDSCF4452.jpgDSCF4453.jpgDSCF4454.jpgDSCF4455.jpgDSCF4456.jpgDSCF4457.jpgDSCF4458.jpg
I did manage to get the batteries removed and wanted to show my added ground cables. The battery trays look pretty good. I have not visited them since 2010. So IMHO they held up well. I do have some Frankenstein patch repairs to the inner fender. The also held up well. I never changed any body panels on this M1009. It is as it came from Flint. I like it that way. I never done any body work or panel replacements. I did straighten a few things after a few deer hits but other then that it bears all the beauty marks of a 33 year old utility vehicle. A true survivor. I did mange to extract the hold down studs. I will be getting a length of 1/4" X 20 threaded rod to accommodate my heater hose holder. And last but not least. 4 Lead Heads in a parts drawer. Sounds like a Quentin Tarantino crime movie. DSCF4459.jpgI will be picking up 4 new ends today and crimp them on. These look like they are ready for retirement. Have a great day. Keep warm and get ready. Winter has not lifted yet.

cucvrus

DSCF4460.jpgDSCF4461.jpgDSCF4462.jpgDSCF4463.jpg
Slow but steady. Working from dawn till dusk does have it's advantages and disadvantages. I able to get the rear battery all mounted up and secured. I loathe the cable clamp crimpers. We had a nice cordless one and it was stolen. That was a several thousand dollar tool. Now I am stuck with a hexagon crimper. Takes all I have to get a good crimp on the cable ends. But the positive side they are tight and well crimped. I used all 3 of the stud tie down holes. Don't know why but they were there so why not. I think I will be rained out tonight. Maybe over the weekend if it is dry I will get back on task. The front one needs some tweaking. I need to adjust the fender bracket for the 6 TL batteries in the front holder. Not sure if anyone knew that they have 2 adjustment holes on that right fender bracket. It needs to have that raised for the 6 TL batteries. Or not and just use longer bolts and bend it into place like I see it done on others trucks. Have a great day. Stay dry. It was 62*F at 530 AM here. Last week it was -3*F. Stay warm and dry. More later.

cucvrus

Out to do some wood cutting and splitting this afternoon. Old M1009 Terminus is limping with one odd tire on the left rear. I have someone going along to drive my Crown of Thorns M1009 to pull the trailer. Same old thing. Never gets boring. I love the heat and exercise of cutting wood. Have a great day. I think it will hit 45* F today. maybe 50*F tomorrow. We could be so lucky. I am still getting an error 503 at home when I attempt to log in. Be back Monday.

cucvrus

DSCF4460 - Copy - Copy.jpgDSCF4461.jpgDSCF4462.jpgDSCF4463 - Copy.jpgDSCF4464.jpgDSCF4465 - Copy.jpgDSCF4466.jpgDSCF4467.jpgDSCF4468.jpgI am not sure where I left off on my 6TL battery switch. But I completed it last week. We have since had snow 2 times and I am dealing with slush and mud at the moment. The 6 TL batteries do NOT crank it as fast as the group 31 batteries but they have to do for now. I know a guy in NJ that likes 6 TL batteries. I have the Crown of Thorns M1009 up and running again. Had it not been for -3*F a few weeks back I think I could have made it till spring.

cucvrus

DSCF4469.jpgDSCF4470.jpgDSCF4471.jpg
A few posed glamour shots of Crown of Thorns M1009. I have this truck a long time all the sheet metal is original. It has many beauty marks. Back to work. Break time is over. I did get back on the site at home again. Thank you to ADM. I was off since Christmas eve.

Attachments

cucvrus

Hey Rick,

Did you ever fix that Gen 2 light issue?
No I never did. I will just keep running it. I sit and think. What do I want to do? Take the cluster apart in my CUCV? Or just cut a split wood? The wood always wins out. I don't know why it still charges normal but it does. I will tear into it some day. maybe just sell the CUCV and move onto another project. I don't have any more ideas short of taking the dash and cluster apart. ???? Thanks for asking. Take care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks