• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

I was up in Northern Pennsylvania today and I seen a CUCV brush guard at a garage sale along the road. I seen new GM boxes of sheet metal parts and that caught my eye. The sheet metal was all NON truck related. But I seen 1 brush guard. I was on my way to fix a tractor and knew I had access to a welder. The tractor fix was cake. the brush guard re design was a matter of calling my youngest Son and having him do some measurements. Mr Crusty needs a brush guard. This one was $20. and needed some attention. My Son sent us a few pictures and measurements and we proceeded to cut flat bar and weld. All on pictures and measurements. We put the flat bar in a press and bent it just like the original brush guard is bent at the ends.DSCF3134.jpgDSCF3135.jpgDSCF3136.jpgWhen I got home the brush guard looked pretty good. The truck to fit it on was NOT around. Then it came back. DSCF3137.jpgDSCF3138.jpgIt fits. The darn thing fits. Oh yea picked up an old AX head and an old metal Grote reflector kit at the garage sale. They were freebies. Is putting a handle on an axe a dying art? I get all sorts of hammers, axes and mauls that just need a wooden handle. The brush guard will need some sanding and priming and then be sprayed with bed liner. Have a great day.

cucvrus

M1009.jpgChecked in on my hidden project. It's still there. IOt seems to look better everytime I look at it. Now all I can see is a topless M1009. 19430041_1359676174068445_3557540860138865167_nbrush.jpgThis is the Mad Cow Disease brush guard will on the operating table. Sawzall,grinder,square and a welder and we can redesign. We can rebuild it and make it faster. Someone hacked this one up for something and never completed it. We had a hacked and bent one at home but this one is much better.

Another Ahab

Oh yea picked up an old AX head and an old metal Grote reflector kit at the garage sale. They were freebies. Is putting a handle on an axe a dying art? I get all sorts of hammers, axes and mauls that just need a wooden handle. The brush guard will need some sanding and priming and then be sprayed with bed liner. Have a great day.
It might be a dying art, but it's not a dead art (yet).

There's an Amish-based catalog store called Lehman's that I think still sells ax handles (and even scythes, with and without handles, if you might be needing one of those).

Here's the link:

cucvrus

Today I worked on Terminus M1009. I made a deal with my Son. He removes all the bent steel from the underside and I would sand and prime the new brush guard.DSCF3141.jpgDSCF3142.jpgHe was done rather quickly. I had him drain theDSCF3145.jpgDSCF3143.jpgDSCF3144.jpg transfer case and the front differential. I also noticed the front pinion seal was leaking and we removed that. Of course I cleaned and painted the yoke while it was off. Waste of time not to. DSCF3149.jpgThe new brush guard is all sanded and ready for priming. DSCF3150.jpgI checked the manual. i don't think Pep-to Bis-mo is supposed to be in the transfer case. Time to change the rear output seal on the transfer case. DSCF3153.jpgDSCF3154.jpgDSCF3155.jpgEasy to do. Using a small chisel and get a small edge on the seal flange. Attach a vise grips and strike the vise grip lower jaw area. Right out and add a bead of sealer to the outer flange of the new seal and tap the new one right in place.

Attachments

cucvrus

3 bad u joints, 2 leaking seals. And a drive shaft in a PINE tree.

DSCF3157.jpgDSCF3158.jpgTerminus M1009 is getting a rebuilt front drive shaft. It required new paint so I thought a bit of blue was in order. DSCF3162.jpgDSCF3170.jpgI like the new front drive shaft. It has 4 standard grease fittings. Easy to maintain.

cucvrus

DSCF3156.jpgA bit of Butterscotch in the front differential. DSCF3169.jpgFlushed and wiped it out good and used The Right Stuff on the cover plate and of course painted it. 3 weeks till adventure time. DSCF3166.jpgI spent a bit of time scouring around for an air filter housing to modify. I cut the intake horn from a 1990 Chevrolet 1500 4 X 4 with a 350. Had a can of paint from a Plymouth Road Runner air filter fail and thought I would use it up. I like the colors. DSCF3167.jpgOh yes and the torque / strut rod thing. I will get to that later. Anyone remember the colors on the Road Runner engine and horns? All in fun. I left the color choice to a few friends that were at the shop.

cucvrus

DSCF3165.jpgDSCF3162.jpgDSCF3163.jpgDSCF3164.jpgI cleaned out the M16 bolt holes on the NP208 transfer case. I used an awl and then a .99 cent battery brush. It worked perfect. I was able to clean them and blow them out good enough to turn the bolts in by hand. I will install the strut / torque rod after work today. I could not load pictures last night. Have a great day. I have the torque/strut rod installed hand tight for fitting purposes only. According to some it keeps the transfer case from falling off in a collision. Well I don't want to litter the trails. So it is a catch all. :)

cucvrus

DSCF3134.jpgDSCF3135.jpgDSCF3136.jpgDSCF3137.jpgDSCF3138.jpgDSCF3149.jpgDSCF3161.jpgDSCF3160.jpgDSCF3159.jpgSaturday AM. This brush guard was on a scrap pile in up state Pennsylvania. It made an amazing transformation. From $20. scrap to the welding table. To 1/2 hour of grinding and 2 hours of sanding. Primed sprayed with bed-liner. Yesterday it went on the truck. Mad Cow Disease has a new face. Mr Crusty has been transformed from a whipped dog to a daily drive to work truck. The FOX does nothing for me. Not my truck.

Another Ahab

View attachment 686890Saturday AM. This brush guard was on a scrap pile in up state Pennsylvania. It made an amazing transformation. From $20. scrap to the welding table. To 1/2 hour of grinding and 2 hours of sanding. Primed sprayed with bed-liner. Yesterday it went on the truck. Mad Cow Disease has a new face.
You know what, curcvrus?.
Your new title maybe should be "The Transformer"; nice work. :beer:

cucvrus

DSCF3177.jpgDSCF3176.jpgDSCF3178.jpgDSCF3179.jpgDSCF3180.jpgDSCF3182.jpgI removed the old air cleaner to intake gasket and cleaned the area with a rotary wire wheel. Some people don't know there is supposed to be a gasket there. So here is a picture of the gasket and the Felpro part number. About a $3. gasket. Worth it. I put some Permatex The Right Stuff on the intake and installed a new gasket. I also put some sealer on the air cleaner and installed a new filter. The flex hole was removed from the 1990 Chevrolet 1500 4 X 4. I tied down the breather hose on the CDR valve and turned the air cleaner a bit to clear the back battery. The throttle cable still fits in the bracket on the air cleaner so all is well. I placed the air cleaner pickup hose facing down and will be putting some paint filter materiel in the end of it. IMHO I think it looks good and is very functional with out reinventing the wheel. I added double rubber washer to the studs and doule nutted the studs and used the wing nuts for aesthetics. I also install the torque strut brace rod and replaced the stock bolt with one a 1/2" longer with a grade 8 bolt and flat washer. DSCF3181.jpgDSCF3183.jpgDSCF3184.jpgDSCF3185.jpgDSCF3186.jpgI like it and know it adds strength to the assembly. Have a great day. Enjoy the nice weather and get some work done.

Another Ahab

You might have already mentioned this somewhere, cucvrus, but just out of curiosity:

- How many miles have you got racked up total-to-date on good ol' Terminus M1009?

cucvrus

Good question. I will have to research.006.jpgThis picture to the left was taken at the crush pile in February 2015. I can't see the mileage. DSCF7048.jpgThis picture was taken May 2016. That I can see. I will get a picture tomorrow of the mileage. It was all hard off road miles. Except when I first got it I drove it about 40 miles to get a new exhaust system installed. Until my last Rausch Creek trip in April 2017. I was running the same tires that were on it when I bought it. They are now all junk. Thanks for asking. In that time from the first run till now I wore out a complete set of brakes and all the U joints. I need to do more maintenance on the drive line. They all have grease fitting now.

cucvrus

DSCF3189.jpgDSCF3191.jpgDSCF3190.jpgDSCF3197.jpgDSCF3192.jpgDSCF3193.jpgDSCF3194.jpgDSCF3195.jpgDSCF3196.jpgI spent some time after work at work doing some welding and fabrication of Terminus M1009 Transmission/transfer case cross-member. I am happy with the results. I added a set of Energy Suspension mounts to the build. I also made/cut/drilled a set of 1/2" X 2" flat bar plates to go on the bottom of the cross-member where it bolts to the frame. It weighs a bit more now. I panted it and bolted the skid plate on. I used carriage bolts because the other bolts were always bent and stripped from hitting rocks. Lets give this a whirl. 2 more weeks and dirt again. I have a lot of work to do yet. I must up-fit the rear with some storage boxes and a hammock. I was hoping for a roof rack. Maybe on the rack. Other things are more pressing.

cucvrus

Once I get this cross-member reinstalled the other things will fall into place. I have 10 days off work and this is my vacation time. i spend it wisely IMHO. Not sitting at the beach. I will check the mileage a report back.

cucvrus

DSCF7048.jpgTo the left is May 2016 DSCF3199.jpgDSCF3198.jpgToday this is the current reading. Are you from the department of revenue. I burnt taxed diesel fuel at all times. No heating oil here.

cucvrus

DSCF3200.jpgDSCF3201.jpgDSCF3202.jpgDSCF3203.jpgDSCF3204.jpg

Today i installed the reinforced cross-member. I like it it fits well and looks good. I think it will add a bit of strength. Can't make it any weaker that's for sure. It was a bit heavier and I put it ion by myself. I drilled all the holes out to 1/2" I was going to use 5/8" but figured I was good with 1/2". I plan on getting my pressure washer out. I have 10 days off and 2 weeks till my big off road trip. I have a few helpers coming for a big project. More later.