• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

Lucked out again mine came from south. Lil rust but few issues in typical areas
???? And this is very nice information. But what does it have to do with Terminus M1009, tire codes, skid plates, or anything that is on this thread? What issues are you having in typical areas? Getting hung up on rocks? Getting dry rotted tires? Terminus M1009 does not have rust. It has beauty marks, proof stamps and the patina of a 34 year old vehicle that got rode very hard and put a way wet. Soaking wet and went to the morgue certified dead 2 cars from the crusher and was recalled back to life and driven even harder then it ever was before. Show some pictures of your vehicle. Is it a CUCV? I will be glad to look at it.

cucvrus

I pulled the Terminus M1009 closer to the shop today. I want to get it up on jack stands and do some severe maintenance on it. I have an adventure planned for mid July and don't want to sit and watch others have fun. I hope to have new paint, tires , and go over the entire drive-line. I will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks for looking. Have a great day.

cucvrus

DSCF2918.jpgDSCF2919.jpgDSCF2920.jpgDSCF2921.jpgDSCF2923.jpgDSCF2922.jpgDSCF2924.jpgDSCF2925.jpgDSCF2926.jpgDSCF2927.jpg
I am not sure how many miles I drove Terminus M1009 since its resurrection. But in that amount of time and travel it has completely wore out a set of rear brakes and the front pads are down to the rivets also. The right front caliper was locked up and the right rear axle seal was leaking. Like I mentioned severe use means severe service. I have used this M1009 very hard. I wheeled it many times. I greased it and checked all the fluids every time. I did notice it needed brakes when I could hear the audible squealers last time out. I never imagined the brakes were all worn out. More work and pictures to come.

cucvrus

DSCF2932.jpgDSCF2931.jpgDSCF2933.jpgDSCF2934.jpgDSCF2935.jpg
I wanted to pull the axles and I was also wanting to look at the inside of the differential. After all that abuse and hard service the oil is as clean as honey. Check out that magnet. Guys that wheeled with me know how hard I ran this truck. I knew when to let off and have stock tires. I still stand by my opinion that the Gov Lok rears will hold up to normal use. But other then that not so well. That magnet is how I removed the cover. Nothing on it. More progress to come. I must get back to work.

cucvrus

DSCF2936.jpgDSCF2937.jpgDSCF2938.jpgDSCF2939.jpgI was looking underneath Terminus M1009 and seen the worst rear tailpipe hangers I ever seen. That was a field repair gone awry. I will be cutting them off and replacing both hangers with swinger universal hangers. Terminus M1009 is in fairly good shape on the under side. For the shape its in. DSCF2940.jpgDSCF2941.jpgRight axle looks bad. I guess I put that axle in when I bought it. I will be replacing the axle bearings and seals. DSCF2942.jpgPulled the backing plates from the rear axle and will be cleaning and painting them and then reassembling the brake shoes onto the backing plates before assembly. I will replace the 4 bolts holding the backing plate on the axle. DSCF2943.jpgDSCF2944.jpgThis is my parts pile. These parts will all be replaced. They are warranted brakes and I will follow up with new brakes all the way around. New rear wheel cylinders, axle bearings,axle seals and brake shoes. DSCF2945.jpgWell that's enough for 1 day. Not sure when I will get to work on Terminus M1009 again. Stay posted.

Last edited:

someoldmoose

Any foreign material on any braking surface will kill any material out there. It is MUCH easier to ensure that the involved surfaces are clean with discs but they are NOT self-cleaning. Hose 'em off or drive through clear standing water (if legal).

cucvrus

Mud is murder on drum brakes. Learned that the hard way, 2 weeks after finally completing my Jeep.
A month later it had 4-wheel discs.
That's never going to happen. I can 100% guarantee that. This current brake system will work this way till the end of time. No need for big budget changes. It made it 2 years of hard wheeling. Who knows how long it will hold up and where it will be in 2 years. Maybe someone will buy it and make a trailer queen out of it. Never know. Them again maybe not. I will need to service it either way from time to time. With the warranted parts it is a win win for me.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's never going to happen. I can 100% guarantee that. This current brake system will work this way till the end of time. No need for big budget changes. It made it 2 years of hard wheeling. Who knows how long it will hold up and where it will be in 2 years. Maybe someone will buy it and make a trailer queen out of it. Never know. Them again maybe not. I will need to service it either way from time to time. With the warranted parts it is a win win for me.
Yeah, I would've been very happy with getting two years out of those drum brakes. But two weeks was pretty dismal, and when all we 'wheeled in was mud there was no reason to expect any improvement. Adding insult to injury, they were inboard drums, so not easily removed for cleaning, either.
Eventually I learned to stay away from mud if at all possible.

Another Ahab

View attachment 683480
I wanted to pull the axles and I was also wanting to look at the inside of the differential. After all that abuse and hard service the oil is as clean as honey. Check out that magnet. Guys that wheeled with me know how hard I ran this truck. I knew when to let off and have stock tires. I still stand by my opinion that the Gov Lok rears will hold up to normal use. But other then that not so well. That magnet is how I removed the cover. Nothing on it. More progress to come. I must get back to work.
That magnet is sure enough clean, and that's always good news for sure.

What are meaning when you say "the magnet is how you removed the cover"?

cucvrus

I am just a little Pennsylvania Dutch. We say things like "You want to go with"? And throw the cow over the fence some hay. The magnet as it appears is how it was when I removed it. Is that better? :)The differential cover and the backing plates are soaking in the parts washer for a few days. Why? Why Not? I will clean and paint these parst just like I would a restoration. Because thats the only way I know how.

cucvrus

DSCF2977.jpgParts are all cleaned up. Short of sand blasting them and powder coating them. That is as good as it gets for this project.DSCF2978.jpgDSCF2979.jpgDSCF2980.jpgDSCF2981.jpgI looked around the shop and I have many partial cans of paint. DSCF2982.jpgI had a 1/2 gallon of OSHA Safety yellow and some purple paint from another project. Waste NOT. I used them to paint Terminus M1009 parts. Never see them anyway and they will be better painted bright colors were I can see the brake shoes and hardware. I cleaned the axle stubs and cleaned out the paint gun on them. I have the brake drums to paint next. Or maybe I will put a new set on since I have them and they have been here 20+ years. These are all bell shaped and worn I am sure of that. No one cuts drums anymore. That is another option. Painted metal is better then rusty metal IMHO.

Another Ahab

That magnet is sure enough clean, and that's always good news for sure.

What are meaning when you say "the magnet is how you removed the cover"?
I am just a little Pennsylvania Dutch. We say things like "You want to go with"? And throw the cow over the fence some hay. The magnet as it appears is how it was when I removed it. Is that better? The differential cover and the backing plates are soaking in the parts washer for a few days.
Okay, I get it. That's funny.

I thought you meant that you were saying that you pulled the differential cover off magnetically somehow or something like that. What a hoot!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks