• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Texas to Alaska ... what to take?

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are dreams, and there are goals. The difference? People rarely work towards a dream. (What do I know, I just made that up. Semantics, I guess)

I want to go from TX to AK in the 923A2. This is 2-3 years out, for many reasons, but half the fun is planning.

I have put 6,000 miles on this truck since I got it in 2016. Lots of upgrades, getting very “Expedition worthy”. Air ride seats and AC being the biggest.

It wont be in one run. I’ll have to park it (storage, or friends house) and fly home for a few weeks, go back and pick up where I left off.

I have collected a lot of components for an expedition vehicle build, well, actually, just a pretty comfortable place to crash and cook food. I can’t afford a proper $40k expedition box build at the moment. (By my estimates, that’s about what you need.)

I can ask the guys on ExPo what I need for camping and expedition travel, but I need to know what you would stock in your truck for a journey like this. What parts would you bring?

Oh, and who wants to join me? Probably best to travel in packs.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would love to join but that dream is more like 10 years out. Moab first in the jeep. Next year I hope.
If you have not built a box for the back I recommend an S280. Why is yours for sale? Insulated, light, removable and leaves about two feet of space at the end for crap in the bed. And at that height you can put a roof rack on top. Can run on solar and bring a Honda 2000 for back up. Can charge your truck batteries with that too.
Belts, seals, bearings, a big bottle jack, air line, fittings, grease gun, wheel chocks, WD40, duct tape, tire patch, valve stems, a MAP, a hat, liquid soap to find air leaks, BIG hammer, wood planks, maybe a bag of gravel ( for icy spots ), come a long...thinking.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carman, sorry you won’t be joining me, but thanks for the list.

I have been collecting components for an expedition box for a while now.
* 28v 3500 watt diesel generator
* Two Outback 24v, 2500 watt pure sine inverters
* S-280 (yeah, I know, I put it up for sale yesterday, but I bought it as my box)
* Two solar panels (need 6 more)
* Stainless steel sink and counter

Plus various other odds and ends.

I bought the S-280 to be my box. When I first saw it, I was a bit disappointed in the size. It was shorter and narrower than I expected. Then I start to see a lot of builds based on it and the FM2 which is the same size, so now I’m on the fence.

Do I invest a lot of time and money into making this box nice? Or do I start with a bigger box that I will be much happier with down the line? Bigger box=more $ since it’s a custom build or composite panel build ... I dunno.

Maybe for the time being, I can use the 280 and keep it simple, and able to remove everything I install.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your not full time I would build the S280. If it is just you? With that generator and solar you can light up multiple rigs. Met this guy at Overland West a couple months ago. Pompous but had done an incredible job with the S280. Mine has a full size bed, oven with stove, microwave, sink and a cabinet with overhang top with a counter stool for a table. RV water pump. Water and propane are under sink. I do see most with propane outside as I should, but turn it all off when in bed since it does not run heat yet. Have a Mr. Buddy for now as I am only out when time allows. No shower or potty but can be done. Coyote guy did it I have a 50 gal. aluminum tank on top with a hose for shower. . If you set your bed up off the floor you will gain all that storage. Water, power...
With what you have (box included) should be able to build it with not much more $$. If you put windows or doors in, the Coyote guy suggests ebay. He said rv manufacturers sell of new but maybe scratched windows and doors for a song.
Two solar panels if 100w each should be plenty unless you are trying to run AC or microwave off batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQECnIXzb4

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your not full time I would build the S280. If it is just you? With that generator and solar you can light up multiple rigs. Met this guy at Overland West a couple months ago. Pompous but had done an incredible job with the S280. Mine has a full size bed, oven with stove, microwave, sink and a cabinet with overhang top with a counter stool for a table. RV water pump. Water and propane are under sink. I do see most with propane outside as I should, but turn it all off when in bed since it does not run heat yet. Have a Mr. Buddy for now as I am only out when time allows. No shower or potty but can be done. Coyote guy did it I have a 50 gal. aluminum tank on top with a hose for shower. . If you set your bed up off the floor you will gain all that storage. Water, power... <br>With what you have (box included) should be able to build it with not much more $$. If you put windows or doors in, the Coyote guy suggests ebay. He said rv manufacturers sell of new but maybe scratched windows and doors for a song. <br>Two solar panels if 100w each should be plenty unless you are trying to run AC or microwave off batteries. <br><br> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQECnIXzb4">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQECnIXzb4</a>

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the video link. I believe I had seen that before. I didn’t realize that was an S280. Seems all the S280 builds I have seen are on Mogs.

I looked in ebY and found an RV door “like new - other”. Sure nuff, a scratch and dent model.

I did talk talk to my insurance company about insuring the truck. They wouldn’t insure it. I asked them if they would if it was an RV. They said they would and gave me the criteria it had to meet. It was simple enough. I think it had to have a kitchen, bed and either a shower or a head.

Ok, I took the S280 off the market. Here we go.

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good choice. Yes...in VA to tag as RV i think it needs potty, water and bed? Get it inspected by state police...get tags. No CDL. Just don't tell the popo the thing comes off the truck.
The Coyote guy mounted his with the door facing the cab since he has a rack on the back and put the door on the side. I just use my rear door for now. Need to add some windows though.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone puts a tire mount on the back, but, I don’t see anyone using a tailgate lift! They can be found pretty reasonable used and are about the perfect height for a lift on a 939.

I have looked at a lot of systems, even earthroamer takes a long time to get the tire down. A lift is all in one. You could even modify it to hold a dirt/street bike, which I believe is a great emergency vehicle if you break down a hundred miles from civilization. Or 10 miles.

Just some midnight thoughts as i lay awake figuring out how to build this.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Everyone puts a tire mount on the back, but, I don’t see anyone using a tailgate lift! They can be found pretty reasonable used and are about the perfect height for a lift on a 939.

I have looked at a lot of systems, even earthroamer takes a long time to get the tire down. A lift is all in one. You could even modify it to hold a dirt/street bike, which I believe is a great emergency vehicle if you break down a hundred miles from civilization. Or 10 miles.

Just some midnight thoughts as i lay awake figuring out how to build this.
hooks into the 4 front towbar mounts. Hand crank for lowering and raising. Some grille restrictions but not bad

Attachments

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes, that’s a pretty cool contraption. For a 934 it makes sense, since you don’t want it blocking your door. For a 923 with an S-280, I can use the extra 2’ of bed for a spare, and secure the bike on a lift. When I want to change tires, remove bike, lower tire with lift.

I would install a side door like coyote did.
FC0157B6-E0E3-4B29-BF56-8C0E02925092.jpg

CARMAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. Had an MRI 2 weeks ago cause I was hurting real bad. They say i'm normal. Back looks good. Your getting older, you have been huffing furniture around for 27 years. Keep exercising your mid section. Back to work!
2. If your using a 923, do you not have a tire hoist? Should not use much physical effort if you have a good chain hoist? That way the back of the rig stays free for storage.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kids ... Jeez!
Time will catch up to him.... :mrgreen:

I'll never forget the sound of my rotator cuff tearing in my shoulder, like a wet ripping sound and intense immediate pain...one of my first thoughts was "OK I need to rethink how I lift things," as well as 98G's voice right afterwards "I told you so!"

At least it paid dividends with my wife: I told her afterwards, "See, I told I need a forklift & a telehandler!!" Funny thing though, she doesn't argue about it now...she just asks me to find one that is a good deal and not a lot of money. I also told her I need a bigger backhoe, she didn't even bat an eye...taking all the fun out of things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks