• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The $820 M109A3 Resurrection

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, its not a military trailer. It's a 10 ton equipment trailer with air brakes.

x-ray

UPDATE - My transfer case in the M109 bit the dust Friday.:sad:

I was on my way to a friends house with the 109 and had to take a detour through a housing development went up an incline and got to the top of the hill and heard some slight clanking, followed by an abrupt lockup. Tried moving. Tranny would shift into every gear but wouldn't actually go without massive grinding.

As luck would have it, my sister was the next car behind me, so she gave me a ride to a freinds house, Now this is where the story gets interesting - my friends house was blocked off by police as a fellow townmember of his was having an "armed mental hygine issue" with the police. I walked the rest of the way, and waited for the police to clear the area. The police standoff cleared without incident and we finally got moving. He gave me a ride and we eventually picked up one of my other trucks, and we towed the M109 back to my house - I felt bad for her - all broken and limp after a recent resurrection.:sad:

The after action review -
  • The 5 speed transmission seems to be OK - shifts and engages to the input side of the transfer case- tranny is turning shaft good at various speed.
  • neither hi or low work
  • Lots of metal chips and chunks ( I think gear teeth remnants) in the transfer case oil - Its toast
I think I perhaps found the reason why the axles were pulled when she was on auction (Doah).

I am now in the market for a servicable transfer case that is near Western NY - Any leads are appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This info was recently posted in a thread where a guy needed parts out your way.

LEE SHUKNECHT & SONS, INC. - Lee Shuknecht
4458 Ford Road, Elba
Ask for Mark - 585-757-6628